The 2018 Heavies Awards - Submission of the Year - WINNER: Ryan Hall

What's your 2018 SOTY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had Oleinik until 232. In my opinion Hall deserves it i thought that we will never see a successful roll to heel hook in UFC.

Oliynik vs baby Albini. Albini knew it was coming he said, but damn Oliynik's grip is insane, he reminds me of those 1970 Russian HW boxers who were not ripped or nothing but they could crush coconuts with their bare hands

The 2018 Heavies Awards - Submission of the Year
Welcome to the 2018 Submission of the Year (SOTY) Award!

Emergency conditions are often said to be defined by an imminent threat to life, limb, or eyesight. I think MMA fans would find the definition well-suited to the very sport we love itself. Never without debate, it's recognised to date that the most common submissions in mixed martial arts are the rear-naked and guillotine chokes as well as the armbar, a hyperextending joint lock to contest-ending effect. But practitioners and fans alike know the nuances of not just what submission, but how said submission is approached and applied are equally as meritable a talking point.

Now it's your turn to voice who submitted their opponent in such a way and under what conditions that you'd call it the very best of 2018.

As with all our awards, you have one (1) vote, and five days from time of posting to cast that vote before the poll closes. Don't forget to chime in below after voting and give us your reasons why; honourable mentions welcome.

Nominees

Alexey 'The Boa Constrictor' Oleynik
living up to his nickname with a R1 Ezekiel Choke while mounted against Junior Albini
(UFC 224)

View attachment 500621

Late-replacement John Salter's
R1 Rear-Naked Choke masterwork on Chidi Njokuani
(Bellator 210)

View attachment 500625

v1VMGvl.gif

Ryan Hall's
R1 Heel Hook of BJJ prodigy and legend BJ Penn
(UFC 232)

20161202103620_IMG_3899.JPG

giphy.gif

Peru's Claudio Puelles
stoutly enduring to Kneebar Felipe Silva in R3
(UFC FN 129)

View attachment 500633

jcsKKft.gif

Filipino Joshua Pacio's
incapacitating and notoriously hard-to-execute R1 Hammerlock on Pongsiri Mitsatit
(ONE: Reign of Kings)

29-Yoshitaka-Naito-vs-Joshua-Pacio.jpg

Paul Craig's
brave-hearted R3 comeback Triangle Choke to tap undefeated Magomed Ankalaev
(UFC FN 127)

View attachment 500639

Great thread @Valhoven. appreciate the effort you put in.

zFvpP4q.gif

Wieczorek omoplata not even nominated?

Voted for Oleinik

I feel like people will be voting for Hall due to recency bias

Every time I think I'm not just an average Sherbro, I vote for exactly the same nominee as everyone else. In this one, i was torn between Hall and Oley, and I went with Hall. Pleasantly surprised to see they are #1 and #2

Voting for write-in candidate: Javy subbing Mir via strikes.

To see Penn submitted is something which couldn't be described with words.

Isn’t that video of Oleynik’s ezekiel against Pesta, not Junior Albini? I know Oleynik has two ezekiels in the UFC so far, which is ridiculous.

I’m still trying to decide between that and Hall’s beautiful sub on Penn.

Edit. Checked the video again, it is definitely Viktor Pesta.

I really liked that hammer lock from the back. That was very cool and looked insanely painful. I think Vinny Magalhaes deserves a mention with that triangle kimura combo he got. I've never seen that before. Any kind of shoulder sub really makes me cringe

Isn’t that video of Oleynik’s ezekiel against Pesta, not Junior Albini? I know Oleynik has two ezekiels in the UFC so far, which is ridiculous.

I’m still trying to decide between that and Hall’s beautiful sub on Penn.

Edit. Checked the video again, it is definitely Viktor Pesta.
Fixed. Cheers for the catch, Spath. I made a few of the GIFs myself and originally planned on using only a still of the choke on Albini as it looked just as crushing; bungled the job however with a last-minute YT link instead. Which of the Ezekiel and Hook did you end up running with?

Wieczorek omoplata not even nominated?

Voted for Oleinik

I feel like people will be voting for Hall due to recency bias

Nice. Really slipped under my radar, this one. I looked at April but as a preliminary bout, I must have overlooked it. Thanks.

Voted Oleinik last year, and while he's known for it it's more of a trademark now, not as special as the earlier ones.

IMO, the most difficult and visually impressive sub happened on last card with Chiesa switching from 2 arms to shoulder and 1 arm to sub Condit, who, albeit past his prime, is still great off his back.

Craig submission was a real WFT moment this year: a submission against an opponent who was mauling him for 14 minutes and 56 seconds non-stop count both for comeback and submission of the year, in my book.

They're all good submissions but I just can't go against The Boa Constrictor, this guy constantly lives up to his nickname. They've gotta rename it to the Oleynik choke lol
I could see it, especially with the nick element factoring in. This in a nutshell is how the kimura got its name but I'm glad we have still armbars and not Rondas. :p

That kneebar was a fucking incredible moment IMO, gave it some love. That wasn't just a fight he was losing, he was beaten pillar to post all over the cage and looked outmatched. Was amazing to see him pull that off.

Zabit's Banana Split was as sick as I've ever seen but given the choices, Ezekial choke against a guy that has you in full mount? Insanity.

Gotta be Hall. I know Penn's washed up but still, becoming the first to tap him in such slick, brutal fashion was impressive. Nasty submission.

Back