The 2018 Heavies Awards - Knockout of the Year - WINNER: Yair Rodriguez

Knockout of the Year (2018)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How is Niko Price not getting more votes? When are you ever going to see someone KO their opponent from their back mid-sweep with hammer fists? If that ever happens again I'll be fucking shocked.

I knew Yair was gonna get most of the love here but goddamn, that elbow will be recreated eventually. This one won't.

The 2018 Heavies Awards - Knockout of the Year
It's Time for the 2018 Heavies Awards!

There were no lack of knockouts in 2018! We saw everything. So let's do our due-diligence by selecting the very best knockout to ensure that it lives in perpetuity.

This is my third year in a row doing this category because I believe it is the most important one. A knockout is the most fulfilling manner by which one can finish an opponent because it is the most conclusive. Nothing in sports today is a more quintessential example of physical domination.

The choices listed below were considered to be the best knockouts of the year by most websites and even posters here.

There will be one vote each and the poll will be open for 5 days! Please tell us for whom you voted and why!

Choose wisely, my friends.

Nominees

Abdul Razak Al-Hassan def. Sabah Homasi via KO (punch) R1 3:47 UFC 220

tumblr_p2vvqvXeWC1rofocqo1_500.gif

Yoel Romero def. Luke Rockhold KO (punches) R3 1:48 UFC 221

cr27L77.gif

Lyoto Machida def. Vitor Belfort KO (front kick) R2 1:00 UFC 224

WhisperedUnlinedBrocketdeer-size_restricted.gif

Justin Gaethje def. James Vick KO (Punch) R1 1:27 UFC Fight Night 135

giphy.gif

Yair Rodriguez def. Chan Sung Jung KO (Elbow) R5 4:59 UFC Fight Night 139

giphy.gif

Amanda Nunes def. Cristiane Justino KO (Punch) R1 0:51 UFC 232

90VmjMN.gif

Brian Ortega def. Frankie Edgar KO (punches) R1 4:44 UFC 222

ConcernedDenseBlackrhino-max-1mb.gif

Jessica Andrade def. Karolina Kowalkiewicz KO (punch) R1 1:51 UFC 228

IgnorantDistortedBovine-size_restricted.gif

Mandel Nallo def. Carrington Banks KO (knee) R2 0:57 Bellator 207

tumblr_pgjktxWFVS1rofocqo1_500.gif

Niko Price def. Randy Brown KO (Hammerfists) R2 2:09 UFC Fight Night 133

DelectablePossibleKissingbug-size_restricted.gif

Mzwandile Hlongwa def. Torbjorn Madsen KO (Spinning Back Fist) R1 1:11 EFC 75

tumblr_phn2x3wfhJ1uqgszq_400.gif

Thanks for running the show @Augustus Caesar. Here is my Official Vote Meme. You can use it in your OP if you like. :D

zFvpP4q.gif

Wow. Hadn't seen that last one. Good choice. But not the only one. Hard to decide, actually. I would basically be fine with pretty much any of these choices winning this one.

I guess technically it should be Yair, because that move is so unique, and also it won him a fight I'm pretty sure he was losing. That Niko Price one is also pretty unique. But I still went with Ortega, just because of how it felt when it happened. Can't really explain it.

Vote Lyoto FFS

Hard to see past Yair/Zombie. Just too perfect and too dramatic.

Honourable mentions - Machida/Belfort, Ortega/Edgar and the EFC Africa KO (that was bonkers, if anyone hasn't seen it - Hlongwa vs Madsen - find it. Crazy).

Has to be Niko price. KO via hammers from bottom? I don't think we'll see it again in the UFC.

We were treated to some pretty awesome KOs last year!

I went with Lyoto. Beautiful technique and bonus marks for knowing when his opponent is finished and not flying in Hendo style.

How is Niko Price not getting more votes? When are you ever going to see someone KO their opponent from their back mid-sweep with hammer fists? If that ever happens again I'll be fucking shocked.

I knew Yair was gonna get most of the love here but goddamn, that elbow will be recreated eventually. This one won't.

It's an amazing KO.

While that Price KO was hilarious, Yair wins.

Going with Nunes. Virtually no one gave her a chance and she devastated Cyborg. She viciously KO’d a fighter who was considered an all-time great and had not lost an mma fight in 13 years.

I see Yair is handily winning but I think it was a bit of a fluke.

Hard not to choose Yair / Zombie. That was a once in a lifetime knockout... plus KZ appeared to be a second away from the decision...

Machida's was beautiful.

Rodriguez's was the most shocking.

Nunes' meant the most.

Torn between Machida vs Belfort, and Rodriguez vs Zombie. I love both those KO's.

Put my vote for The Lioness face planting Cyborg. Absolutely electrifying KO. I was already on my feet after the knockdowns and to see a 2 to 1 underdog utterly destroy her way to becoming a champ champ...you get my vote. Hats off to Amanda Nunes.

The way Vitor fell down after that kick was insane.

Back