The 2018 Heavies Awards - Knockout of the Year - WINNER: Yair Rodriguez

Knockout of the Year (2018)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I liked Machida’s front kick the most, but voted for Yair’s scorpion elbow because COME ON! That was unbelievable.

Also Kowalkiewicz getting KTFO by Andrade wasn’t fair. Look at how Karolina is flailing, throwing weak arm punches like she’s poorly going through some motions. She could hit someone in the face with a hundred of those and probably wouldn’t even leave a mark. Poor girl

<2>

Andrade threw everything with real power and that last one was a a bomb.

If you look at it closely in slow-motion you can even see that KK's eyes were completely closed when she was throwing those punches. Scared shitless of Andrades power it seems like.
Andrade said herself that she saw the finish a few times in that fight but she wanted a clean one punch K.O.
Sorry for offt.

My vote goes to Hlongwa's K.O because I love brutality and that tickled me in the right spot.

Ortega uppercutting Edgar is the only right ‘Answer’

I’d say Yair’s elbow is one of the best knockouts of all time, not just this year. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it live

The last one is actually the best, dude went into a super whirlwind combo and couldve kept going if he didnt drop. Yair one is overrated, he got lucky with a move he never landed before and probably never will again.

Lyoto will always get my vote because he's so respectful and doesn't try to kill his opponent. Yair's was fluke of all flukes.

A KO like the one Yair did will never happen ever again

The list for 2018 KOTY is already insane, but there was one more:
ACB 89 (Sept 2018) Goga Shamatava vs. Pavel Pastushkov
A counter spinning elbow to a spinning back fist.

I don't think anything can trump Nunes KO'ing Cyborg.

Some excellent KOs this year.
Yair

So many wonderful options...

Here's the problem:
Nunes vs Cyborg is KO of the Year
Rodriguez vs Zombie is KO of the Decade.

Price vs Brown is a Hall of Fame KO Pioneer section

Once I understood Yair's KO wasn't a fluke, but he was attacking with these creative elbows repeatedly all five rounds, (he hit him with one flush on the face in round 2) and you can see him looking up at the target.

It is so incredible it is difficult to appreciate. Like the magic trick in the movie the Prestige, with the red rubber ball and two doors.

Luke Thomas showed it in this analysis (starts 10:35)

Last edited:
Besides the kick on Belfort, Machida reaction after the KO was badass.

Machidas front kick for me was the most memorable, for the technique and history of that move. True legend KO.

Back