The 2017 Heavies Awards - Best Coach of the Year - Winner: Duane "Bang" Ludwig

Who is 2017 Coach of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Duane Ludwig from this list but shouldn't Matt Brown be up there?

Ok. After much thought I went with Henry Perez.
Me in a nutshell. Spun my wheels initially but acknowledgement of Henrry having done what he has largely in a pioneering capacity was the tiebreak for me. All 5 are good – scratch that, great, at what they do, so it was a comparison of inches in the end.

I feel like Bang has contributed more to TJs success than another coach has to their fighter.
A reasonable take. I reckon it inarguable either way that they click, which is cool to see – the bonds that tie. Georges and Firas are up there too, I imagine, for any sort Tyson-D'Amato nod.

For all the stable Greg Jackson has, your comment underscores the reason I have a hard time liking Greg himself; no question on his strat game and coaching abilities, but the guy seems hard-pressed really to click with anyone. I'm open to hearing otherwise if you disagree.

Wittman would be my choice for his work with Rose and Nicco
Killing me with this...

Mate, pen and paper in hand; first name on my list before any research – TW. Been a fan for some years now but as my list got smaller and smaller to podium but 5, his coaching had to compete with his tireless entrepreneurialism (as with ONX, for example) and I saw other coaches as more deserving with the results they were producing.

Rose though, I get it; alongside Barry too, know he was not forgotten. Who of the final 5 would you have bumped to have had Witt in the mix?

Awesome poll! Everyone is a good pick but I'm going with Firas simply because you have a student who was out for 4 years and he comes back and wins the MW title. That to me puts him slightly above the rest.

A reasonable take. I reckon it inarguable either way that they click, which is cool to see – the bonds that tie. Georges and Firas are up there too, I imagine, for any sort Tyson-D'Amato nod.

For all the stable Greg Jackson has, your comment underscores the reason I have a hard time liking Greg himself; no question on his strat game and coaching abilities, but the guy seems hard-pressed really to click with anyone. I'm open to hearing otherwise if you disagree.

Nah, totally agree with your whole post.

The connection is the magic ingredient.
Greg comes off as someone who is not so emotionally deep.
Tyson/D'Amato is one of the all time greatest examples. Who knows what Tyson could have been if Cus lived longer.

yeah that fella from ATT I see that dude in everyones corner
With a boss-level beard to boot, Mike's a great guy and you're right to mention him here. He was in the mix early on but later fell into the Jason Parillo category where I unfortunately just wasn't seeing enough singularities in his output to make a top-5 case.

Dawg, Inc has really rallied behind Duane over the last 24 hours and squashed Rafael's early lead.

It's currently a tight race for silver between Rafael and Firas, with Tristar's grand maître having a resurgence himself.

And Henrry as well having rightfully seen more and more love.

No Pavel Fedotov, Trevor Wittman or Mike Brown? Shame!
Trevor and Mike have been honourably mentioned but on what grounds would Pavel have a case for top 5?

went with Bang. Dude just seems to really have hit his stride this last year as a coach, not just with TJ, but in general. I think there's more to be intrigued and excited about for the next year out of his gym than any of the others.

Cordeiro is the winner imo

Cordeiro is my favorite. Don't know if this was his year but he's awesome.

Definitely having trouble nailing this one down...

For me, it goes further than just their fighters and how they did this year. I'm also looking at the growth of said fighters under that person's tutelage. That makes it hard for me not to vote for either Duane or Firas. However, looking at the growth of Werdum and RDA is insane too...

This is a good one. I'm leaning toward Rafael, but I'm not sure.

Back