hugheschokept02.gif

hugheschokept03.gif

Dave Schultz Front Headlock
Matt Hughes on Ricardo Almeida - UFC 117

hugheschokept02.gif

hugheschokept03.gif

Dave Schultz Front Headlock
Matt Hughes on Ricardo Almeida - UFC 117

Really neat choke and I wish we saw it more often. Doesn't seem very high risk since you're more or less maintaining that front headlock even if its not getting the tap and it could possibly set up a spin to the back. The only downside is it seems to require a lot of arm strength. Anyone ever try to use this one?

Does anyone remember this one triangle choke from the early WSOF? I think that Bas named after the dude. It's a triangle except it's reversed where the leg hooking is switched. Where the foot meets the legpit is above the head rather than the arm and the guy pulled on his foot to create more pressure. The fight was some tall lanky dude vs. an undefeated Brazilian who was noted as a BJJ black belt and was really good. The Brazilian was beating him everywhere but then the lanky dude pulled that weird triangle and won. I think it was the main event too.

Does anyone remember this one triangle choke from the early WSOF? I think that Bas named after the dude. It's a triangle except it's reversed where the leg hooking is switched. Where the foot meets the legpit is above the head rather than the arm and the guy pulled on his foot to create more pressure. The fight was some tall lanky dude vs. an undefeated Brazilian who was noted as a BJJ black belt and was really good. The Brazilian was beating him everywhere but then the lanky dude pulled that weird triangle and won. I think it was the main event too.
Maybe WSOF 17: Joe Condon vs. Johnny Nunez?
Unusual Guillotine Choke.

Any wrist compression subs? I have tapped smaller pro fighters in training with them. From side mount.. They push up, you lock their arm behind the elbow and use your body weight to bend the hand back. I've used it effectively like 3 times on guys who were good, another handful on guys that sucked bad. I think it works better bigger guy v smaller guy like a few subs. Other subs (like certain chokes) work better smaller v bigger.

The Vedepo Choke (aka: Shin choke) [gif in the link, but I can't embed it as it has no file properties]
http://middleeasy.com/component/con...out-this-gnarly-vedepo-choke-from-bellator-80

Aoki had that mounted gogoplata against Nagata. And he invented those back-mount neck-crank subs too.

Jacare beat Zelg with some weird armbar, I think I've heard it called a pentagram armbar before...maybe. Slow motion replay @ 3:20
[YT]JR1DXxaIoUU[/YT]

Lyoto submits MichaeL MacDonald with a forearm choke (basic but rare)
[YT]nvAUOzRz_DE[/YT]

Any wrist compression subs? I have tapped smaller pro fighters in training with them. From side mount.. They push up, you lock their arm behind the elbow and use your body weight to bend the hand back. I've used it effectively like 3 times on guys who were good, another handful on guys that sucked bad. I think it works better bigger guy v smaller guy like a few subs. Other subs (like certain chokes) work better smaller v bigger.

Royce beat Akebono with a wrist lock

Also there have been a few can-opener subs.. Pretty sure Coleman hit one or two in the early days. Same with side headlock cranks. If you have a size and strength advantage, those subs really shouldn't be ignored, even today.

Thanks for the thread TS..

Anybody mention the Mir shoulder lock?

Just to add some details to the list:

Twister -- The famous Chan Sung Jung submission on Leonard Garcia in their second fight

Spinning, flying armbar -- This was awesome. I had only seen this in pro-wrestling matches done my Minoru Tanaka which he calls the Minoru Special.

Achilles lock from Giant swing -- This happened on a HOOK'n'SHOOT show too. I don't remember who the fighters in it where, but it's on one of those Shooto compilations that Budo Videos has.

Gogoplata -- Shinya Aoki submitted Joachim Hansen with this in their first fight in PRIDE and there's Brad Imes who's pulled off too back to back submssions with this.

Leg Scissor Choke -- Kim eyes went blank. Late stoppage as she was out way before the fight was stopped.

Some other rare subs that aren't in the video or haven't been mentioned in this thread:

Bulldog Choke -- Raquel Pennington submitted Ashlee Evans-Smith in the UFC with this

Flying Triangle Choke -- Pablo Garza submitted Yves Jabouin in the UFC this, before Garza, Seth Dikun submitted Rolando Perez in the WEC with this

Also funny how 2 of the clips in this video feature Shinya Aoki.

Carlos Newton hit a bulldog choke on Miletich also.

No idea if wrist locks are allowed under the unified rules.

18 and 19...

i wouldnt doubt if the refs got fired after those lol

I don't know that one, but Toby Imada's inverted triangle on Masvidal in an early Bellator was pretty cool.

Back