The 1996 film, THAT THING YOU DO!

sweetviolenturg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm watching it with my wife tonight because she's in a few scenes of it as an extra & we have an odd sort of connection through the movie. It was filmed back in 1996 when she was 14. With her hometown of Orange, CA standing in for the film's setting of Erie, PA. And Erie, PA is where much of my pro boxing career took place. In fact, several scenes in the movie take place at Mercyhurst College where I made my pro debut back in 1982.

When I traveled across the country to meet my wife in Orange three years ago one of the things she did was take me on a tour of Oldtown Orange where most of the exteriors for THAT THING YOU DO! were shot. At that point, I hadn't seen the movie yet but I told her that parts of it reminded me of downtown Erie.

She also took me to Watson's Diner where the production company took her to meet much of the cast including Tom Hanks, Giovanni Ribisi & Liv Tyler. She got to shoot a scene with Ribisi where she hands him a record for him to autograph but it didn't make the final cut. In the end, she only made it into a few crowd scenes on the street & a couple where she's an audience member at The Wonders concerts. Her friend Allison Mack was supposed to have a small speaking role but it was cut during production & she didn't make it into the movie at all.

A couple of years after the movie shot there in Oldtown Orange & my wife began attending Chapman University & she got an apartment on the second floor of the building that houses the movie theater seen throughout the film.

huh, don't remember much about the film...

This is one of my favorites. I always like 60's rock and The Beatles as a kid, so when it came out I watched it a million times. It's cool that when Tom Hanks decided to write/direct a movie, it was an homage to The Beatles.

Long live The Oneders.

I started playing in a band the same year it was released(96). Love that film.

It's the film equivalent of going to McDonalds and getting a cheeseburger and medium fries.

Howie Long was in it but his part got cut. Got to to get the special edition to see him.
dataimagepngbase64iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAA40AAAIA-51da6ea97b90e1852811b8be6f0922b6.jpg

501.jpg

Howie Long was in it but his part got cut. Got to to get the special edition to see him.
dataimagepngbase64iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAA40AAAIA-51da6ea97b90e1852811b8be6f0922b6.jpg

501.jpg
Yea he played Tom Hanks gay lover
Hanks is a life long raiders fan, thats why he wanted Long in the movie and he also named the pizza joint in the movie Villapianos after former raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano

Yea he played Tom Hanks gay lover
Hanks is a life long raiders fan, thats why he wanted Long in the movie and he also named the pizza joint in the movie Villapianos after former raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano
His son, not Collin, is a total wannabe gangsta rapper.
MV5BMTg4MTk2MjY2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjc1MDc0Mw@@._V1_UY1200_CR112,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Back