"That's what Mexicans do, we hold our ground & we fight" - Melendez

What do you mean "fight for Mexico"? This isn't the Olympics. You don't fight for anybody but yourself.

I obviously meant represent.

And you didn't answer the question.

If someone born to Mexican parents decides to represent ("fight for") Mexico, why do people bother arguing? I'm Norwegian by citizenship, but my father and his family is Swedish, my mother was born in Sweden and I was born in Sweden. I'm still proud to see Gus succeed in the UFC, not because he's Scandinavian, but because I still consider myself Swedish. If someone were to walk up to me and tell me I'm not Swedish, I would think that would be a very weird thing to argue with me, because it's personal and none of that person's business.

Last edited:
Then it's Hispanic, not Mexican which is a nationality just like American is.

I prefer not to be called Hispanic

First and foremost I prefer to be called Chicano
Then Mexican
Then Mexican-American
Then American

But never Hispanic or Latino.
Ive earned my right to refer to myself however I want.

Mexicans ? Aren't both guys born and raised and living in the USA ?

Anyway FOTY contender thanks to Diego more than Gil.

Jones vs Gustafsson is still the FOTY , followed by GSP/Condit.

Jones vs Gus is so overrated it's ridiculous. How was it FOTY? It was basically a standard competitive fight. Nothing in that fight made me go WOW

Top 5 Sloppy fights.

Damn you must be such a hardcore fan. You are way better than those filthy casuals who dare to enjoy a fight which isn't the most technical one. In fact, you must be a way better person than they are aswell! I bet you are one of those who also hate a fights if everyone else loves it.

In every single one of these threads you come in and say the word sloppy. You have nothing to give to these threads, you just bash the fight and seem to think yourself as a higher kind of fan.

Shut the fuck up already. You are not special. You are nothing.

I prefer not to be called Hispanic

First and foremost I prefer to be called Chicano
Then Mexican
Then Mexican-American
Then American

But never Hispanic or Latino.
Ive earned my right to refer to myself however I want.

East-Coast Latinos like to call themselves "Spanish"...

I cringe every time I hear that, for some reason.

Latino is fine.

Jones vs Gus is so overrated it's ridiculous. How was it FOTY? It was basically a standard competitive fight. Nothing in that fight made me go WOW

It was fight of the year because jones had an aura of invincibility, yet gus came in and pummeled him well for 5 rounds, defending almost all of his takedowns, and despite getting rocked in the fourt still stayed up and fought to the end.

This fight was basically a one sided beat down with one entertaining round with wild punches.

It was fight of the year because jones had an aura of invincibility, yet gus came in and pummeled him well for 5 rounds, defending almost all of his takedowns, and despite getting rocked in the fourt still stayed up and fought to the end.

This fight was basically a one sided beat down with one entertaining round with wild punches.

So it was only exciting because Gus proved he can be competitive against Jones?

This thread is fucking disgusting.

They are both of Mexican descent, and if they want to consider themselves more Mexican then American, they have a right to do so.

They are both of Mexican descent, and if they want to consider themselves more Mexican then American, they have a right to do so.

They are just acknowledging their origins, not so much their patriotism to a nation.

FOTY contender yes...greatest of all time, lol no. The greatest of all time would have to include factors like anticipation, relevance, excitement, action, display of all aspects of MMA, heart shown, finish, etc...not JUST balls to the wall excitement.

I hate how they make it about nationality/race though. Korean Zombie could say the same 'That's what Koreans do, we hold our ground and fight' so could fkn anyone of any nationality or race. It is so stupid.

Back