"That's what Mexicans do, we hold our ground & we fight" - Melendez

You guys think Melendez was sloppy? Yeah, Sanchez was sloppy as shit but thats his style. Melendez displayed some crisp boxing technique, IMO. There were a few times he let Deigo bait him into a sloppy brawl but for the most part his striking was excellent.

Masvidal is Cuban...

I'm aware... and he's also one of the best boxers in MMA. Conor McGregor loves to throws hands too.

They're two guys that have a distinctly boxing-flavored striking game.

PLUS, Jorge speaks Spanish well (well-enough) for the promotion, hype of the event.

Last edited:
UFC: Mexico in 2014

Velasquez vs Jon Jones -- for HW Title
Melendez vs Josh Thomson -- for LW Title
Diego Sanchez vs Evan Dunham
Nate Diaz vs Joe Lauzon
Conor McGregor vs Jorge Masvidal... boxing-flavored matchup (at LW or CW)
Erik Perez vs any BW
Joey Beltran vs any LHW

Not sure if you added Masvidal to the card because you think he's mexican, but i believe he's cuban.

There's a reason why most of the highly regarded fights are "sloppy." It's because when the heart takes over technique is not in its vocabulary.

Heart is the first and foremost thing that most fans look for in a fight.

A fighter that doesn't quit and isn't looking to win by impressing judges.

At no point did I ever think Diego was going to win this fight, yet I knew he was going to be the superstar.

Gotta love that muthafucka.

You guys think Melendez was sloppy? Yeah, Sanchez was sloppy as shit but thats his style. Melendez displayed some crisp boxing technique, IMO. There were a few times he let Deigo bait him into a sloppy brawl but for the most part his striking was excellent.

I'm amazed by how many were calling Gil's work sloppy. He was countering the fuck out of Diego all night. It was sweet as shit.

There is a difference between the "best" fights, and the most entertaining. This fight was entertaining as hell and could not have been possible with anyone other than Diego in there. Anyone else would have gone down, or all of the aggression would have gone completely out the window as they just tried not to die all night.

It was the best 1 sided fight I've ever seen though.

Why can't Americans let Mexicans fight for Mexico? I do not comprende... It's their heritage and family. None of your business.

Even Diego vs Guida beats it, IMO. Am I foggy on Diego-Guida?

I think you may be just a little bit. Guida really didn't do anything in that fight. He got manhandled.

But he was going all out and it is was an exciting fight

At least in this fight after the first round Diego turned it into a more competitive fight

It definitely wasn't the best fight ever. If the uppercut knockdown is taken out, it really was a heavily slanted fight for Gil. But Diego's ability to take punishment and still throw allowed him to land some good shots as well and it was really entertaining

I consider 'wars' to be pretty even fights or fights that went back and forth. Rogan was just caught up in the moment. But again, it was really exciting

It was the best 3rd round I have ever seen, not sure if it is the best fight ever though.

Probably fight of the year (but Silva VS Stann is hard to beat) but clearly it isn't the best ever.

Amazing fight but the fact that it was so one-sided is what disqualifies it from being one the greatest. It certainly was awesome to watch at any rate.

It's a FOTY contender. I was really entertained watching it.

it was sloppy as hell though.

Agreed. Melendez got a little sloppy during the flurries in the pocket but he still kept moving his head, throwing cleaner, and got the better of those exchanges by a large margin. I've been especially impressed with his boxing when he fought JT the second time and it's still getting better. Good to see him throwing more shots to the body. His footwork and timing on his counters were on point.

It was not the greatest fight evah, but maybe one of the entertaining fights evah. Diego is a boss with his taunts haha I lol'd the whole fight and thought it was epic. Props to Gilbert for going with Diego's taunts and swing for the fences aswell. He deserves the compliments !

Jones/Gustafsson and Hendo/Shogun were better, IMO.

This fight was awesome though, loved it.

Gil showcased some of the slickest boxing i've seen in MMA. Very very good. I can't wait to see him go up against another great striker like Pettis.

I dont wanna stir too much up but. What if a white fighter says. "Thats what white people do, we dominate everyone".

Same idiots, day in, day out, saying the same thing. Do you get tired of race baiting or do you actually put stock in the misguided notion you're better than other people in any way? I don't mean Caucasians, just you specifically. Because like I said the last time you went full retard, you're bringing down averages left and right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back