That was not the Cody I watched for 5 fights prior.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by HunterBuusta, Dec 30, 2016.

1. HunterBuusta

HunterBuusta Stand and bang bro!

Well, props to Cody. He completely came out a different fighter then ever. His last 5 fights I saw someone who head hunted heavily with good combinations but planted and left himself open to hitting air. Where did that fighter go? He stayed composed, timed his strikes and take-downs well and showed a incredible gas tank. Man, I am honestly impressed.

I saw him swinging for the fences and hitting nothing. I saw maybe the first two rounds being the scariest for Dom to approach and the rest being a point fight win for him. I predicted the Anthony Johnson of Batamweight to be in that octagon. I even rewatched Cody's fights prior to this and still cannot believe how he went from mediocre/stand-and-bang/hot head to composed and technical striker. I knew he was technical with how he landed but not on a championship level. I apologize for my ignorance.

Good chin display to Dom. Good display of sportsmanship from both men at the end. Loved this fight. This sport just continues to surprise me. What a time to be a fan of MMA!

Who posted that it would be the biggest surprise if Cody won a decision or Dom a knockout? - Edit;
    @thatKid

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  2. fractal

fractal 93andbeyond.com

Definitely. The way he was moving made Cruz look bad. Telling you, he sold his soul. He will mysteriously die at 27.

Fatback96 and Greedy Dana like this.
  3. HunterBuusta

Yeah dude. I don't understand where he went from average brawler to technical monster.

4. Agnawedbone

Agnawedbone Red Belt

Maybe he was holding back a bit, like Holm claimed about her fights before Rousey.

I think looking back at the press leading into the fight he was definitely playing up the meathead angle. IMO Alpha Male learned a lot from TJ's mistakes.

dillerbob likes this.
  5. TheRuthlessOne

TheRuthlessOne 3 Piece and a Soda Belt

He has anderson silva head movement

Going to be champ for a long time

Fight Professor likes this.
  6. kammfreudenstei

kammfreudenstei Brown Belt

He looked like a genius in there, perfectly pivoting and lateral movement, excellent head movement, nice TDD as well. He played Dom. Garbrandt got his look at me now to Paige

Possum likes this.
  7. RudimarChute

RudimarChute Brown Belt

Nobody is pointing out the fact that Cruz fought Cody's game. Dillashaw will destroy Garbrandt, the way he sets up his takedowns is insane he's a nightmare for Cody.

8. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

Hats off to him never in a million years would I expected him to beat Dom in 5.

9. Dbreiden83080

Dbreiden83080 Danger Zone

We will see. Cody is so strong and hits so hard. He also showed great timing and counters..

10. skullmaskkid

skullmaskkid Banned Banned

he's the better boxer with better footwork. the idea that cody was some sloppy brawler was just Cruz bullshit that people ate up

Deleted member 196663 likes this.
  11. Dbreiden83080

Dbreiden83080 Danger Zone

I thought Dom would take over in 4 and 5. That head butt or punch changed it all. Dom did well to win the 5th, but lost the fight with that bad 4th..

Agnawedbone and heavyarms21 like this.
  12. DelanoRunnymede

DelanoRunnymede Green Belt

I thought his only chance was an early KO, and even then I gave him like a 10% chance. The way he embarrassed Cruz was just incredible to watch. The head movement was very silva like as someone else has said. Late contender for fight of the year imo

HunterBuusta likes this.
  13. HunterBuusta

I don't know dude. Even Dom took TJ down a few times with really nicely timed takedowns. And after seeing how fast Cody can throw a counter to someone coming inside, I see TJ getting smacked up the same way.

Possum likes this.
  14. HunterBuusta

Agreed. Honestly how I thought when I saw those first two rounds. He played the fool for sure.

Agnawedbone likes this.
  15. HereToSlay

HereToSlay Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

He was the same fighter. Just that you under estimated him

Possum likes this.
  16. Metallicalabran

Metallicalabran Don't be scared homie!

Except what Holm said was full of shit, because his only impressive win in UFC is against Ronda and just because the masterful Tardveryan gameplan

17. dillerbob

dillerbob White Belt

Maybe this is recency bias, but most impressive performance of the year? As in statement making...I think so.

18. HunterBuusta

No buddy. I respected what he was bringing, so that is where you are wrong.

He definitely never showed how technical he could be past a power puncher prior to this fight. I mean sure he knew how to land well, but it was never as masterfully executed till this point. Especially at this level of competition.

19. 7th

7th Silver Belt

Well I heard Cody had a good amateur boxing career, so he has that experience. Plus for all Dom's unorthodox moves, he's still not hard to figure out. Cody just didn't play into his game. Having said that, it seemed like Dom didn't fight the way he usually does, I wonder if he though Cody didn't belong in there with him so he didn't even try to be as elusive as he usually is.

20. HunterBuusta

I think your assessment isn't remotely correct man. You are entitled to your own opinion.. but until this fight, who figured out Dom's movement? How wasn't he hard to figure out? No one in the past did it. And he was being elusive. It's like you said early in this post, Cody didn't play his game. Hard to be a counter striker/ when someone sits in the middle and says "come here". Example of styles makes fights?