That One Friend On Facebook

This thread is about how you deal with politics on social media...

But it’s also about my one friend, Rodrigo, who is a huge Trump supporter. He’s always huffing and puffing about something - and spent months rage posting “racist” quotes from Joe Biden, etc.

Now he’s posting like twice a day a new fraud theory, like just random videos that show absolutely nothing. His last post was about how he guaranteed the election would be overturned by the Supreme Court.

I want so badly to blast him with memes and undermine all of his bullshit arguments, but I basically can’t ——

Why the fuck would I do that? It’s pointless.

I think I just shit posted again.

Shit, is this why you unfriended me?

Unfortunately those people for me are my mom and my aunt. My family has always been conservative, so it's not that. But they are the 2 who went all in and over the top with Trump.

My aunt has always been outspoken but at least used to be respectful. The last couple years I've lost all respect for her though as she's gotten more racist and hateful as a backlash to BLM and such. Recently her and my uncle asked my brother and I, 2 of the only college educated members of the family, with legit concern if we felt like college tried to brainwash us.

My mom was always pretty Apolitical. She is not the brightest and is pretty gullible overall. She knew she liked GWB and she knew she didn't like Obama, but she couldn't tell you why other than fox News told her so. Before Trump the dumbest thing she did was refuse to sign up for Obama care because she heard it was bad. She is dirt poor and had recently quit her job of 20 years.... So that was bad.

But otherwise she was usually pretty reasonable until the last couple years when she discovered YouTube. She is a typical boomer believing everything she sees on there instantly with no regard for sources or facts. So she has spent the last couple years sharing a combination of religious nutjob shit and right wing conspiracies. I did not engage very much at all, until covid started and she started down the anti fauci conspiracy rabbit hole. She is a nurse and I flat out told her it was ridiculous to believe a con man and liar with an election coming up over all relevant health experts. She got pissed but it didn't escalate too much.

Earlier today she started with the election conspiracy vids. My brother responded reasonably with facts and a suggestion that maybe she should consider the source of these claims. She COMPLETELY freaked the fuck out. Texts telling him to literally fuck off and not talk to her for the holidays. I am staying out of it, but won't be speaking to her until she apologizes for this meltdown and choosing Donald Trump over her own son. The worst part? She was diagnosed with breast cancer last week.

Rodrigo and supports Trump? He’s either a Cuban or a self hating Mexican(Who says he’s American and goes by Rod).
Yes...because you can't support Trump without being self-hating. That's such a fucking racist thing to say and assume.

I don’t have any social media accounts thank GAWD.

Unfortunately those people for me are my mom and my aunt. My family has always been conservative, so it's not that. But they are the 2 who went all in and over the top with Trump.

My aunt has always been outspoken but at least used to be respectful. The last couple years I've lost all respect for her though as she's gotten more racist and hateful as a backlash to BLM and such. Recently her and my uncle asked my brother and I, 2 of the only college educated members of the family, with legit concern if we felt like college tried to brainwash us.

My mom was always pretty Apolitical. She is not the brightest and is pretty gullible overall. She knew she liked GWB and she knew she didn't like Obama, but she couldn't tell you why other than fox News told her so. Before Trump the dumbest thing she did was refuse to sign up for Obama care because she heard it was bad. She is dirt poor and had recently quit her job of 20 years.... So that was bad.

But otherwise she was usually pretty reasonable until the last couple years when she discovered YouTube. She is a typical boomer believing everything she sees on there instantly with no regard for sources or facts. So she has spent the last couple years sharing a combination of religious nutjob shit and right wing conspiracies. I did not engage very much at all, until covid started and she started down the anti fauci conspiracy rabbit hole. She is a nurse and I flat out told her it was ridiculous to believe a con man and liar with an election coming up over all relevant health experts. She got pissed but it didn't escalate too much.

Earlier today she started with the election conspiracy vids. My brother responded reasonably with facts and a suggestion that maybe she should consider the source of these claims. She COMPLETELY freaked the fuck out. Texts telling him to literally fuck off and not talk to her for the holidays. I am staying out of it, but won't be speaking to her until she apologizes for this meltdown and choosing Donald Trump over her own son. The worst part? She was diagnosed with breast cancer last week.

What made you abandoned your family's viewpoints?

What made you abandoned your family's viewpoints?

Nothing specific. They are old fashioned catholics and through my early teen years just grew out of religion, came to realize I agreed more with progressive ideas than conservative ones. Got into the punk scene, mostly disagreed with the control the evangelicals had over the republican party and the policy positions that came along with that.

I always felt pretty moderate until recently when hatred of science, demonizing education, and embrace of conspiracy theories went full on mainstream. It was always there under the surface, hand in hand with the evangelicals but Trumpism is just a different animal where facts and reality mean absolutely nothing to these people. It's more about Trump worship than any actual issues and any questioning of their diety leads to a meltdown.

Nothing specific. They are old fashioned catholics and through my early teen years just grew out of religion, came to realize I agreed more with progressive ideas than conservative ones. Got into the punk scene, mostly disagreed with the control the evangelicals had over the republican party and the policy positions that came along with that.

I always felt pretty moderate until recently when hatred of science, demonizing education, and embrace of conspiracy theories went full on mainstream. It was always there under the surface, hand in hand with the evangelicals but Trumpism is just a different animal where facts and reality mean absolutely nothing to these people. It's more about Trump worship than any actual issues and any questioning of their diety leads to a meltdown.

That’s pretty wild.

I actually adopted some of my beliefs from punk too, at a young age, specifically Pennywise

That’s pretty wild.

I actually adopted some of my beliefs from punk too, at a young age, specifically Pennywise

Loved them, bad religion, anti flag, strike anywhere, etc. Not my thing anymore but still listen for nostalgia quite a bit, and miss the shows!

Edit, forgot to add good riddance!

Huh, am I mistaken in remembering that it was actually tons of lefties who said they were leaving america if Trump won?
Exactly - it was more “waaaahhhh Hilary lost, I’m leaving!!!!!!!!”
And people were like: “ ok, go then”

If there’s one thing that this election shows more than anything, it’s that conservatives are far more resilient and positive than leftists

Social is poison for Seniors

I honestly think its bad for the brain consuming so much random information endlessly as it numbs you.

Have you notice people in public on their phones just scrolling endlessly watching every post in their FB newsfeed? And they like almost every post?

Its addictive because our brain needs stimulation like getting information but now the information is supper low quality but endless.

Seniors are vulnerabble to this because they have nothing else to do.

My old folks are not at all political but ever since they got hook on their phones they have become more stupid but instead of obbsesing politics they binge watch garbage local noon time shows.

Have you noticed that Forums such as SD have the same effect to an extent this is why I take a break from Shrdog too.

What happens outside of Facebook, stays outside of Facebook.

I have exactly one friend who is a trumper, he has gone all in since Tuesday. It’s actually a fun thing when he posts his asinine shit, all of us other friends get a kick out of it. But we do call him on it but not in a vindictive way,more like a , “damn vince, wtf are you on now?” Way. I’m going to help him change the head gaskets on his Jeep this afternoon. through the course of it, I will bash the living shit out of every argument he has, we will get pretty buzzed ,life will go on.
my point is, emotional investment into politics is a fools game. Live long enough to see enough elections and it shouldn’t effect you the same way. 8 years from now we will be doing it all over again.
This is a good friend, folks. That's how you handle that one friend, kudos sir

Social is poison for Seniors

I honestly think its bad for the brain consuming so much random information endlessly as it numbs you.

Have you notice people in public on their phones just scrolling endlessly watching every post in their FB newsfeed? And they like almost every post?

Its addictive because our brain needs stimulation like getting information but now the information is supper low quality but endless.

Seniors are vulnerabble to this because they have nothing else to do.

My old folks are not at all political but ever since they got hook on their phones they have become more stupid but instead of obbsesing politics they binge watch garbage local noon time shows.

Have you noticed that Forums such as SD have the same effect to an extent this is why I take a break from Shrdog too.

I do agree with you. I don't have twitter or any other platform and I don't use FB for anything other than a couple discussion groups I'm in and very rarely sharing pics of my kids. I hate social media for the most part, and someone like Trump never would have won election without it which is scary for the future of it IMO.

This thread is about how you deal with politics on social media...

But it’s also about my one friend, Rodrigo, who is a huge Trump supporter. He’s always huffing and puffing about something - and spent months rage posting “racist” quotes from Joe Biden, etc.

Now he’s posting like twice a day a new fraud theory, like just random videos that show absolutely nothing. His last post was about how he guaranteed the election would be overturned by the Supreme Court.

I want so badly to blast him with memes and undermine all of his bullshit arguments, but I basically can’t ——

Why the fuck would I do that? It’s pointless.

I think I just shit posted again.
I have Facebook friends that support both candidates that blast the newsfeed with crap. The thing is that 90% of it is uninformed and one sided. There’s no down vote on Facebook, and unlike a forum like sherdog, people aren’t going to confront you. You’re basically surrounding yourself with enablers. And of course, should anyone dare to stand up to you, everyone who is closest to you will see it first, so they tend to jump in and gang up on people.

Back