"That move is cool, but in the streets..."

You could have stopped right there. Most serious real fights on the street involve weapons and numbers. No unarmed style is a good choice (except maybe the 110 meter hurdles ... apparently especially against handguns, as most people can't hit much of anything with them at more than 15 yards).

"In the street" and "self-defense" are not co-extensive. You are typically assaulted by a single person who knows you, with most weapons being ones presented by being nearby, rather than pre-meditated assaults by gangs of super-predator-ninjas. PARTICULARLY if you are a woman(ie, half the population)

The credible Hulk always cites his sources

I worked for a while as a police officer, and heard this crap all the time. "Oh, mma/jiujitsu wouldn't work in the street". And of course, they talk about moves they'd and say "What if I just punched you when you tried that".

Umm....I'd punch you back.

Contrary to popular belief, when jiu-jitsu guys get into "street fights"...they are allowed to punch and use weapons too.

I will also say, I get sick of the term "street fighter". I equate that with UNTRAINED.

Yet, somehow, the mythical "street fighter" all of a sudden develops a concrete jaw, powerlifter strength, Olympic cardio, Chuck Liddell striking skills, Randy Couture wrestling ability......and has 10 friends with Navy SEAL weapons training.

In reality, the "street fighter" is probably some untrained drunk redneck who will gas out in 30 seconds.

I worked with a guy that was always talking about this. He was a really cool guy but just dumb when it came to this stuff. A kinda big guy too but he finally came to our gym abd wouldn't roll but he sparred a few of us and of course got wrecked, even by some of our worse guys. People just don't realize what a difference there us between trained and untrained.

He still thought he would've beat everyone in a street fight because he would've punched us in the throat. I asked him if he couldn't land a punch anywhere else why does he think a punch to the throat would land? People seem to think if you try to hit a fighter in the balls or throat they won't know what to do abd they'll just stand there and let it hit them

I have seen a gay guy get KO cold by getting hit in the head with a purse in a street fight. Trying to predict what will work in the streets is about as credible as talking to ghosts with a Ouigi board.

I have seen a gay guy get KO cold by getting hit in the head with a purse in a street fight. Trying to predict what will work in the streets is about as credible as talking to ghosts with a Ouigi board.

This is exactly my opinion of the entire topic of"street fights." There are so many possible scenarios that throwing them around to invalidate other people's training is just idiotic. It mostly comes down to everyone wanting to feel invincible. We just need to accept that, sometimes, you would get your ass kicked, no matter what. Five tough dudes want to beat you up? Well, it's probably going to happen. On the other hand, it's only a matter of time before we see a video of someone getting his back taken with a berimbolo in a street fight. Let's leave the delusional fantasy hypotheticals to those other guys. You know the ones. Don't be them.

Not surprised at all. Was it his purse?

No. A group of gays tried intimidating some girl, claiming she was "gay bashing" because she pushed one of their drunk friends when he bumped into her. They surrounded her and one got too threatening and close and she fucking leveled the guy with her big ass purse.

It's amazing how many sport jiu jitsu guys will completely freak out if in the middle of a roll you just take out a claw hammer and start swinging it at them. I mean, where's your sport jiu-jitsu now?

Ah you need Gracie Combatives...they will break it down for you.

i'm pretty sure i've guillotined every person i've ever rolled with on their first day in about 8 seconds. untrained nonathletic people aren't going to suddenly blast an insane double and slam you into pieces in the middle of the street (why does everyone fight on cement in these stories).

While it's true you can't predict what would happen, if youre GOOD at jiu jitsu (i'm not really) youre going to feel like a man fighting a child if you put your hands on them.

Source: I've actually seen fighters (not people who train, fighters who have decent ring records) fight average joes. It ended very poorly for the joes. The basics work well.

Having said that I don't want to get stabbed by someones friend. Theres very few people who could catch me. I'm confident enough in myself to run away. I already know I can scrap. why risk it?

The main reason a BJJ technique doesn't work in the street is because you won't find yourself in that position unless you are in a non striking gi BJJ match.

If you wonder if a move is for the street, ask these questions:

Was this move designed to incapacitate a person or improve my position from a position you can reach in an mma fight while dressed in the clothing people wear?

If my opponent can strike, can I complete this move anyway?

If the answer is yes to both, it qualifies as self defense.

every street fight video i've ever seen that doesnt end in a flash knockout has at least 50% of the fight in very sloppy clinch/westling/attempted take downs. saying jiu jitsu is not beneficial is silly.

When MMA starts having intentional eye poking, ball grabbing, fish hooking, biting, scratching, and every other dirty thing that happens in a street fight then maybe we can use it as a comparision to what and what will not work in a street fight. The same applies to BJJ, sport or self-defense.

I had a guy pepper spary me unexpectedly, punch me a couple of times and kick me in the head before I initiated a double-leg to mount and then tried to take his eyes out with my thumbs. Granted this was about a month after I got out of the military and my threat response reactions have changed a ton, but it shows how mentality is a huge factor in street fighting and how it relates to using a martial art.

Do you know anyone that says things like this?
Has anyone ever let you know, they would just slam you from a certain position?

Of course. And for the most part, they're right.

I wonder if boxers hear the same thing. A lot of boxing defense is based on the usage of gloves.

Every sport has sport specific movements. I don't get the problem that people have with sport moves. I mean, let's just have fun man. If you wanna invert 20 times, by all means, do so. Let's just have fun. I don't care if it wouldn't work in the streets because we're not in the streets and we're not training for that.

/rant

I worked for a while as a police officer, and heard this crap all the time. "Oh, mma/jiujitsu wouldn't work in the street". And of course, they talk about moves they'd and say "What if I just punched you when you tried that".

Umm....I'd punch you back.

Contrary to popular belief, when jiu-jitsu guys get into "street fights"...they are allowed to punch and use weapons too.

haha exactly. In a street altercation, I'm likely to use some sort of weapon if it's on my person. I wouldn't want to grapple with a loaded pistol or knife on my hip. I would have to present the weapon to make the person aware of the situation. I'm not opposed to having a fair fight one on one, but if I'm carrying, I'd have to draw. I'm not going to risk grappling with a gun or knife on my person.

I will also say, I get sick of the term "street fighter". I equate that with UNTRAINED.

Yet, somehow, the mythical "street fighter" all of a sudden develops a concrete jaw, powerlifter strength, Olympic cardio, Chuck Liddell striking skills, Randy Couture wrestling ability......and has 10 friends with Navy SEAL weapons training.

In reality, the "street fighter" is probably some untrained drunk redneck who will gas out in 30 seconds.

Hahah, great post.

Do you know anyone that says things like this?
Has anyone ever let you know, they would just slam you from a certain position?

Actually the statement is true, no techniques are really required/work in the street, unless you are lightning quick with it.

That Gracie BS that 99% of fights end up on the ground is just a myth. 99% of fights don't last longer than 20 seconds of guys punching looking like they're swimming and are usually broken up by a bouncer, friends, or the cops. So unless your reaction time and technique falls within that time span, you'll never have the time to pull off any technique.

Back