"That move is cool, but in the streets..."

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Digitsu, May 16, 2014.

1. Digitsu

Digitsu Blue Belt

Do you know anyone that says things like this?
    Has anyone ever let you know, they would just slam you from a certain position?

2. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Lots won't work in the streets, lots will. It's all scenario specific, and mentality specific.

3. sauron0379

sauron0379 Orange Belt

No, but more often than not, the greater amount if moves taught in "modern BJJ", really don't have street applicability. Just like starting a sparring session on your butt would get you killed in real life. Regardless, I think most practitioners have enough common sense to stick with fundamentals for street and berimbolos for sport. There is always gonna be that know it all guy that will tell you his counter to your move in question. I think it's funny when the move you are showing is on a world champion's DVD and they are a suck ass white belt telling you it would never work.

4. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Everything changes when a weapon is involved or a punch, cement etc.

We have a high level purple belt at our academy who if you even threaten a punch toward flinches, winces and practically turtles. I'd imagine hitting him full on negates most of his skills. We can't even get him to come spar with us at mma camps. So mentality does come into play more than most would think.

5. sauron0379

sauron0379 Orange Belt

Badger67 makes a great point with weapons. But to really hammer this home, do a search on some high level BJJ tournament grapplers and look at there MMA records. Most of them do poorly. Why? They primarily train with focus on scoring points in tournaments and having to constantly "evolve" new guards to stay ahead of the counters. Meanwhile, there standup game is neglected, they take into no regard of getting punched or hit, because tourneys are no strikes. We live in a world where there are jiu jitsu players and jiu jitsu fighters. One isn't better than the other, just one wouldn't survive in the others world and vice versa

6. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

That last sentence is a good way of putting it.

7. s karlyle

s karlyle الجسر

No not really. Most "moves" that put out pro fighter will most likely work in the streets on an untrained tough guy.

8. WARRIOR POET

WARRIOR POET Banned Banned

lol, yeah, i would tell you but i get the feeling you will not see any of our answers

"i tell my story to the wind"

9. Panic

Panic Blue Belt

Some people just enjoy BJJ as a hobby...

10. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

poorly_ really?

werdum ufc contender
    jacare ufc contender
    maia ufc contender
    xande undefeated fought only like 3 times
    braulio fought 1 time
    roger just left the UFC, no shame in losing to mo and kennedy
    rani UfC contender
    bibiano One FC champ
    braga neto just joined the UFC has a very good record
    shaolin did awesome at his time, retired with like 2 o 3 loses at most

are they all UFC champs? nop, but saying most of them did poorly is retarded and ignorant.

11. cms9690

cms9690 Green Belt

Apparently you haven't read any of Sauron's threads, Rage.

12. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

I think it has more to do with the fact that the MMA world has better athletes overall than the BJJ world.

13. Guy Marcello

Guy Marcello Amateur Fighter

Forget the fact there are plenty of "pure" bjj dudes that have done great in mma, I would say at least 30% of all mma fighters are jiu-jitsu based. The numbers have declined over the years with the influx of wrestlers and strikers but in a pure style vs style situation if you can only have one art, I will take my bjj ALL DAY!!!

14. blacjac

blacjac Blue Belt

I train as a hobby but with a focus on street lethal shit homie. Takedown, pass/sweep, control, control, control, and submit. I want/have a smothering top game with a few high percentage submissions. The focus on control is because I may have to use my "skills" in a real life situation, I am a Soldier. On the streetz control will allow me to punch or choke a mutherfucker on the ground. I keep shit really real son!!!! Audi 5000

15. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

There is a right (and a wrong) situation for every move. There's no reason why you couldn't berimbolo in a street fight, IF it ended up on the ground with both parties momentarily seated in a battle to get up first (maybe you slip/fall down and hit a sloppy tripod sweep vs. the standing attacker), and your legs found themselves in the right configuration for DLR. If that's one of your go-to moves, it would probably be a low risk way of ending up on the back, or in mount.

However, that situation doesn't, or shouldn't happen very often in a self defense setting, since being on your ass means that you fucked up a long time ago (bro). Which is equally true of every guard technique, BTW. Luckily, there's no contradiction between knowing how to berimbolo and knowing how to hit a duck-under or single leg. A good grappler should have some tools in every department.

16. Fightshopca

Fightshopca Orange Belt

My coach has been telling us to get on top and get off the bottom. For self defence it's definitely a better idea to get on top and strike or get away. I'm a guard player and realize it's not the best idea even in the gym. There's more risk of getting hurt on the bottom.

17. Diablo Ryu**

Diablo Ryu** Brown Belt

my instructor always emphasizes getting the mount. We will roll with no submissions and just to get mount. Once we get it we reset.

Also focus on throw downs not take downs in the street

18. georgejjr

georgejjr Black Belt

You could have stopped right there. Most serious real fights on the street involve weapons and numbers. No unarmed style is a good choice (except maybe the 110 meter hurdles ... apparently especially against handguns, as most people can't hit much of anything with them at more than 15 yards).

19. dalexan242

dalexan242 Blue Belt

It's amazing how many sport jiu jitsu guys will completely freak out if in the middle of a roll you just take out a claw hammer and start swinging it at them. I mean, where's your sport jiu-jitsu now?

20. kintana

kintana Purple Belt

I understand most of sport BJJ techniques dont work on the street. But I dont think most people who do any kind of BJJ training, fight on the street or in the octagon on a regular basis.

I know half guard is a dumb position for a street fight. But I train it not for a street fight but for a tournament. I never been in any street fight most people I train with have never been in a street fight.

I do think you should train self defense focused jiu jitsu at least once a week. However I see no problem with spending the rest of the time working on my guard passing, DLR, Gi chokes, lapel grips etc.

Everytime I see a thread about self defense jiu jitsu not being taught or sport jiu jitsu not being applicable. I wonder if there is a epidemic of BJJ students fighting on the street and losing.

I have been to 3 academies and other then the pro MMA guys, bouncers, cops, and the old school instructors (from brazil in the 80s) almost everybody I have met in the gym hasn't had a street fight.