1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

That beauiful straight right hand that dropped Fury...

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by PalmStrike, Oct 11, 2021.

1. thehighking Silver Belt

I'd like to see Wilder fight Joshua next (assuming Usyk wins again). Tyson's father has said that Usyk is the only fight that makes sense now and Tyson isn't going to get excited about any other fight. I think that will be the next big fight and then Fury should retire.

AnthonyCasso likes this.
  2. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

What a camera shot

Culombo and Old Cat like this.
  3. goldennirvana Satanic black magic!

No he's not. He has two left feet.

4. RDL81 Brown Belt

Come on wilder was knocked down how many times by fury over two fights? Loads. Fury has before fighting wilder was not known as a big puncher. The status of these two has been massively elevated on the back of fighting each other three times. I get it for fury as he is unbeaten beat wlad ring champ etc etc. Just because he has beaten wilder twice doesn’t mean he can beat everyone else. Happy for him to go out and do that.

As for wilder I am sure both whyte and aj could easily KO him based on the fight Saturday. They are both much better finishers than fury

5. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

The status of Fury was that he doesnt sit down on his shots. Sorry to hurt your feelings but a 280lbs giant hits hard when he aims to do so.

Lol @ easily KO’ng Wilder now. My god.

MrKontakos likes this.
  6. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

I can play this silly narrative with literally anyone. AJ’s power is overrated. He finished a glass chin Wlad, Arreola cracked Ruiz as good as AJ did, couldnt hurt Parker, couldnt hurt a CW Usyk.

See, its easy. The reality is these guys are monsters and can shut anyones lights off.

Padr81 likes this.
  7. RDL81 Brown Belt

That’s exactly my point though. Wilder isn’t a super puncher (vs other elite HW) as he couldn’t KO fury, fury is not all of a sudden a GOAT because he beat wilder twice when wilder has one of the thinnest resume of recent HW champions he needs to beat a couple of other top 5 fighters and I don’t really care which ones to prove that.

If wilder wants to go down in history he needs to come back and beat someone other than Ortiz loosing just being able to knockdown fury doesn’t cut it.

People are getting carried away over Saturday night yes it was great and entertaining but it pretty much went how the 2nd fight went only I think fury wasn’t in as good a shape or as sharpe

Heelhook71 likes this.
  8. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Wilder is a super puncher. The rest of the HWs arent Fury. They dont have Fury’s recovery. If you think Wilder isnt a super puncher than you must think AJ hits like a school girl. You praise guys like Dubois power then critique Wilders. Its fucking hilariously biased and silly.

Fury has a way to go on the resume before he even sniffs registering as an ATG for me.

9. djacobox372 Steel Belt

Ortiz is top level, which is why he won every second he was in there with Wilder, except for the last couple seconds of each fight.

10. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

and footwork is the only measure of athleticism?

11. goldennirvana Satanic black magic!

You said he's "athletic as fuck". If he's that athletic, he'd be able to move smoothly. He doesn't. Even when he's in the first round and fresh, he still moves as well as a retarded three-legged donkey. What exactly is your definition of 'athletic'? Mine is 'agile and good balance'. The more 'athletic' someone is, the greater agility and balance they have.

12. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

just looked it up in the dictionary, says "physically strong, fit, and active". i'm sure there are other ways to look at it.

the man is explosive as all hell and packs the kind of power we rarely see, even in heavyweights. he's arguably among the biggest punchers in the history of the sport, despite having some of the shittiest technique. and he's built like a greek god.

he can't box for shit, but he sure has a whole lot of athletic qualities.

13. goldennirvana Satanic black magic!

By that definition, every single professional boxer is 'athletic', especially compared to the average person. Obviously we can't use that definition.

When it comes down to it, 'athleticism' means being agile and having good balance. Wilder has neither.

Being able to throw a punch doesn't make him "athletic as fuck". I'm not saying he has NO athleticism, but you're making him out to be an athletic freak and there's no way he's that. Like I said, he has two left feet. He can't walk properly. It's apparent to anyone with a pair of eyes.

Not really. He's KO'd no one. The greatest can-crusher, maybe. But he is in no way one of the biggest punchers in the sport. And that has nothing to do with athleticism, anyway. Cooney was a hard puncher. Who's ever described Cooney as "athletic as fuck"? I rest my case.

This is really what it comes down to. His physique. Sorry, but that has nothing to do with being "athletic as fuck", that's purely superficial.

And you've yet to name one.

14. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

well, yeah. of course they are, lol.

is that some controversial statement? professional athletes are athletic? my god, someone alert the president!

oh ok well if it's what it comes down to, then by all means it must be what the word means.

he's never fought anyone he didn't either KO stiff or dropped several times in 43 fights. everyone, from ring side experts to trainers to wilder's peers agrees that he has ungodly power.

but i'm sure the guy talking shit about him on sherdog knows better.

i mean yeah, if you ignore the definition of the word, if you ignore the video evidence of wilder's performances, and you make up your own odd rules about what constitutes athleticism, then i agree, i didn't name any athletic qualities.

15. Prex32 Red Belt

wilder can punch harder than that, i think he was already showing signs of fatique
    it was enought to wobble fury, but that deadly sting wasnt there anymore

16. deucesarewild Purple Belt

Wilder's punch slid down Fury's face and struck his torso, which is why his body rippled in such a way.