That annoying friend/relative who challenges you

HomerPlata

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Anyone else have that friend/family member who always tries to prove themselves against you in any social gathering, especially when beer is involved? You'll be familiar with the lines "bet you can't tap me out" or "yeah but I think I'm just too strong for you". That guy who you can just feel staring at the side of your head, waiting for a chance to show that his irrational self belief + alcohol beats whatever you've been wasting your time doing in training.

Take the bait, or let him have his moment?

Anyone else have that friend/family member who always tries to prove themselves against you in any social gathering, especially when beer is involved? You'll be familiar with the lines "bet you can't tap me out" or "yeah but I think I'm just too strong for you". That guy who you can just feel staring at the side of your head, waiting for a chance to show that his irrational self belief + alcohol beats whatever you've been wasting your time doing in training.

Take the bait, or let him have his moment?

My best friend Chance loves to do it to me. He's who got me into BJJ and I love messing around with him. I usually end up winning, but it's all fun.

Have his moment? You're being the cooler guy when you demonstrate that you have nothing to prove.

I'm that guy by the way, especially when beer is involved.

Last edited:
"cool man, let me know when you want to come to the gym and roll. My gym's located at ______ and we have classes at ______" Don't be a dick, but just kindly invite them out.

This is assuming they're not the friend that gets in a low stance and challenges you in the middle of the bar or family gathering. My family's pretty laid back, and I have a few wrestlers that I've been roughhousing with since I was little (being the youngest), so it's not out of the ordinary. But, sometimes, I'm like "what the fuck grandma, I'm trying to get some turkey in peace and you drop me with a double leg right onto the kitchen floor in front of everybody? Take it easy, will ya?"

My dad is like this even though I'm tapped him out so many times. A guy I know (doesn't train) thinks he can power out of any submission and doesn't tap so I don't roll with him.

Sometimes I take the bait, other times they can have their moment.

I had a guy that had been chatting all night in a pub saying how "Man, I'd love to come to your classes" and "How would you defend this/that?"

Eventually after about 10 different scenarios he sort of sidled up to me sideways on and turned his head to me "so what if some one was to attack your nuts?"(bollocks) for those that dont understand nuts.

With this he grabbed a good chunk of both my testicles and some of my cock! then applied a reasonable amount of pressure. I slapped on the quickest, most perfect RNC and applied about 70% squeeze. HE then started to squeeze a little harder and I was left thinking that my RNC was shit and I was gonna have to drop the choke and defend my groin.

Now - we were bith a little pissed up and obviously I left my superior RNC on a little too long! The guy dropped to the floor like a sack of shit - BANG - his legs went and I had no time to leg go of the choke and he pulled us both to the floor at breakneck speed.

He came around in about 3 seconds. I sat him up against the bar, his wife came running over asking about the commotion. I explained - she was cool, all he could say was - "What the Fuck have you done to my thumb?" " My thumb really hurts!" "How did you fuck up my thumb?"

He went to the hospital in the week and he'd broken his thumb - full half arm cast. We think that he fell on it during the fall!!!!

Dont mess with the Jitz is the moral of the story!!!

PS - i dont normally call it Jitz - it just sounded better this time!!

Last edited:
My dad is like this even though I'm tapped him out so many times. A guy I know (doesn't train) thinks he can power out of any submission and doesn't tap so I don't roll with him.

Sometimes I take the bait, other times they can have their moment.

Yeah a buddy of mine came back from Marine bootcamp, and thought he was Rickson Gracie. We rolled once, and got him in an arm bar. But the way he rolled into it, his other hand and head were trapped between my legs, so he was stuck. And I would have had to break his arm for him to tap....That was the last time I rolled with him. Not because he was stubborn, but I came to China soon after.

Funny this thread was created.

Last week, at a cousin's baby shower. My cousin wanted to roll.

Ended up choking him, then he started throwing punches and kicks.

Fucker... :mad:

cousin homer is that you? I'll escape your submission next time damnit!

Hahaha glad to see it's not just me who can't have a beer in peace :icon_chee

Not that I'm anything special, or that beating me is a badge of honour (it is really, I am the balls), but as soon as anyone gets wind of you training in something, they can't resist can they?

ya i got a friend like that. Just because he is irish, everytime he drinks he thinks he has to fight. Or if there is no one around to fight he wants to "compete" against his friends. This is from anything from arm wrestling to boxing/mma type stuff. One particular time he insisted that he could take one of my punches just sitting there. At first i refused to hit him. I was like you are drunk and you will regret it tmr. He was so adamant and crazy about it, that he was starting to scare his wife etc.

So just to shut him up i just tapped him on the forehead with a right. I didnt hit him hard. Just enough to get his attn. He was like you box and thats all you got that aint shit. I was like ok drunk go look in a mirror. He had a fuckin golfball size nugget on his forehead. He was like oh fuck, guess im to drunk to feel it im going to bed see ya lol.

i had a cousin who was like that.
he whooped my ass haha but that was like my first month training so

The little brother of one of my best friends. Well he's not that "little" (180 lbs of muscles, 19 years old :icon_chee) and he practice boxe, he's a really good friend but sometimes he feels that he have to wrestle me because of me doing Bjj, and he's in that kind of age where you need to prove everybody you are the strongest one of the bunch. He not even have to drink, he's just the kind of person that gets natural high sometimes and have to do something stupid.

I once tapped him with a standing anaconda :icon_chee , but most of time I search for the underhooks and play a little or try to make him sit down, cause usually this stuff starts in the soccer locker room where there are large benchs (we sometimes play soccer between friends) and I don't want to hurt him or make it going too far. Yet when he starts to throw fake jabs he looks dangerous...

Sometimes It's a little annoying but nothing too serious.

I find it amusing how many of you guys will start rolling during a social function or in the middle of a public drinking establishment.

It really depends on the situation.

If it's a "challenge" by an aggressive drunk person, not happening. I'll just pass and invite them to come to school some time.

If it's a person legitimately interested in the art, I have extra gis, belts and plenty of mat space in my basement. I explain the rules and then I'll gladly roll with someone.

If they initiate contact then just put them on the ground and get up. If you tap someone like that, it's most likely going to hurt their pride (which they probably already have in abundance). Just put them down and tell them politely to stop. If it escalates and they are persistent, you know what to do.

If it's just talking, let them talk.

I have one guy who does random crap like grab my wrist or my shirt loosely in case I hurt him and I just twist his arm or slap on some half arsed sub just to make my point that if I wanted to I could break it off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back