Thanks to JJMuayThaiguy and Relson Gracie School in Honolulu, HI

aaron_mag

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just got back from my trip to Hawaii and got to visit Relson's school. Very nice people out there. If you are doing the whole tourist thing and want to get some training in/learn some cool stuff you should look them up.

Specifically JJMuaythaiguy (Bobby) is a prince among men. He's a big dude too. I'm 200+ pounds and I am a fly weight compared to him. He kept telling me he wouldn't get hurt if I put my whole weight on him for knee on the belly. Definitely true. And when he pinned me...there was no way I was going to shrimp and get into guard. I was basically done. Best escape would have been to throw out an arm and let him armbar me so I could start over again. :)

I'd never trained with a gi before and he was very patient and let me try things over and over again.

Great bunch of guys.

Hey Aaron, thanks for the post.

You are one solid grappler for sure. I could not even tell that you rarely used a gi. You picked up the techniques really fast with the gi on and have potential as a real quick learner.

I know you are a no gi sambo grappler but learning to use the gi is fun too.

Guys, Aaron is tough, in shape sambo guy, 200lbs of muscle. He was open minded to come in while on vacation and seemed to have fun over here. He is a true grappler. Who else would take a class instead of being on the beach in Hawaii, with the love of his life?

Anytime you want to train come on down again.

jjmuaythaiguy said:
Hey Aaron, thanks for the post.

Who else would take a class instead of being on the beach with the love of his life?

HAHA I would. Man I wish I wouldve thought of Relsons when I was in HI last Feb, I ended up training at my boys' gym al lil bit(808 Fight Club???)

Anyhows me and my lady are gonna be back in Feb. but I think we're gonna be in Maui this time, Oahu was fun and all but it was alot like here, real fast paced.

Anywhere good to train on Maui?

Ha ha ha.,..

Like I said, a prince among men. So damn polite. The truth is that he is out of my league. I'm a recreational guy and he takes it very serious. Fricken lifts weights on Friday night and then goes to TWO sessions of jiu jitsu on Saturday. I'd gladly take classes from him let alone roll with him for fun.

I'll be back bro. Could be five years, but we'll hopefully still be sticking with it.

And I really want to learn gi/kurtka. I'll work it in somehow.

Take care.

muaythaifolife said:
HAHA I would. Man I wish I wouldve thought of Relsons when I was in HI last Feb, I ended up training at my boys' gym al lil bit(808 Fight Club???)

Anyhows me and my lady are gonna be back in Feb. but I think we're gonna be in Maui this time, Oahu was fun and all but it was alot like here, real fast paced.

Anywhere good to train on Maui?

808 Fight Factory - Waipahu, Hawaii on Oahu. MMA based and very tough fighters there.

On Maui? Yup, Maui Jiu Jitsu Academy.

Taught by Rickson Gracie's right hand man, Black Belt Luis "Limao" Heredia. He was just on the cover of Grappling Magazine and is as technically close to Rickson teaching and grappling wise than a lot of Rickson's other black belts. His record in competitions speaks for itself.

Our academy and Luis's work together when they have their annual invitational which is one of the largest in Hawaii.

www.mauijiujitsu.com

aaron_mag said:
Ha ha ha.,..

Like I said, a prince among men. So damn polite. The truth is that he is out of my league. I'm a recreational guy and he takes it very serious. Fricken lifts weights on Friday night and then goes to TWO sessions of jiu jitsu on Saturday. I'd gladly take classes from him let alone roll with him for fun.

I'll be back bro. Could be five years, but we'll hopefully still be sticking with it.

And I really want to learn gi/kurtka. I'll work it in somehow.

Take care.

Thanks for the compliments Aaron. See you next time. You and everyone else here on sherdog is more than welcome to come in, anytime. :D

Back