Thank you EliteXC!

anaconda

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
@Gold
Reaction score
For setting MMA back 5 years.

Jesus what an ugly goddamn fight that Kimbo-Colossus one was. It looked like two shitty white belts on the ground, or even worse - like some of those high school backyard brawls you see on youtube.

Boxing fans watching would see that as the first prime time main event on a network channel and laugh. Casual fans will think both those fighters are world class. I swear that was one of the ugliest fights I've ever seen. Gary Shaw is a dipshit.

Thoughts? :)

I missed it, and I'm now glad I did. I'm sure I'm not the only one that goes insane when the ground work is bad in a fight.

I missed it, and I'm now glad I did. I'm sure I'm not the only one that goes insane when the ground work is bad in a fight.

Bad is not even close to describing the "ground work" in this fight. And to top off the shitty fights, all the stoppages were way too early. What a joke. Id rather pay for a quality PPV than watch another 200 free hours of this "mma."

It was absolutely dreadful. Even for a white belt, it was bad jiu jitsu.

kimbos half guard was more open than a 2 dollar hooker. he did hit a few nice reversals from bottom though but in general the standard of ground action was TERRIBLE.

the escapes he hit plus the neck crank had bas' ground game fingerprints all over it, hopefully he can combine some of bas' nasty techs with some solid fundamentals in future (starting with a closed half guard of some type).

Kimbo's ground game wasn't bad or exceptionally good for someone with his level of experience.
To me it seemed obvious that under the pressure and heat of the moment he simply doesn't have the muscle memory down to have all the proper positioning and basics down. Clearly he is thinking about the ground game in his head, but moreso about escaping or subbing rather than letting his opponent gain better positioning.

For setting MMA back 5 years.

Jesus what an ugly goddamn fight that Kimbo-Colossus one was. It looked like two shitty white belts on the ground, or even worse - like some of those high school backyard brawls you see on youtube.

Boxing fans watching would see that as the first prime time main event on a network channel and laugh. Casual fans will think both those fighters are world class. I swear that was one of the ugliest fights I've ever seen. Gary Shaw is a dipshit.

Thoughts? :)

lmfao!!! Nice.

Eh, every time something bad happens in MMA people say it will set the sport 5 years back, and it never seems to. You're overreacting.

Was the televised event good? No, not really. There were 2 fights of the 5 that showed high-level technique and were exciting. One of them ended in an unfortunate stoppage. The main event was a technical abomination on the ground, and ended with controversy. Other 2 televised fights were average.

It was bad, but not that bad.

Oh but I was getting really annoyed when Gus called every sweep a scissors sweep. I didn't see one throughout the whole night.

i agree that the ground work was pretty horrible. What annoyed me was the announcer during the other fights calling all leg kicks, "cut kicks". He has no clue wtf "cut kicks" are. I also laughed when they didn't have a clue when the hot chick had the gogo.

anyways. i thought that the kimbo fight was stopped early. But when that califlower ear went "pop"...man..that made me cringe.

I think that Elite stopped every fight pre mature whenever the blood got too much. Probably due to people watching on regular tv. I think that if that habit continues, the high calibur fighters won't enter their cage to fight just to have it stopped due to a bad cut or excessive blood.

what i did like was the "production value". the fighters have a better entrance than UFC. it reminded me of "Pride".

It was a pretty shitty card with boatloads of terrible reffing. I only enjoyed Gina's fight, not cuz she was hot, but because it was the most technical fight. Absolutely crap event.

I signed up on this blog just so i could whine about this awful, awful production.

i never thought i'd be pining for Mike Goldberg, but somehow i heard, "And he got over cocaine and now he's here fighting for us, tonight!" And then i think Kimbo Slice fought. I can't be sure, really.

I love how the lawler/smith fight was the card's only decent shot at appealing to actual fight fans and it was thrown on account of jittery network executives. MMA might not exactly be fit for primetime television...

Someone said that what we just saw was MMA watered down for mainstream audiences. He or she deserves an award.

Even when setting expectations low, I have to consider that "Kimbo" has been training full-time for over a year. He was already training submissions when he took an exhibition with Mercer in June 2007.

It's going to take some serious matchmaking to protect Gary Shaw's moneymaker, and even with a string of wins against non-competitors, does "Slice" have any credibility among the casual viewers who tuned in to see him drop a glass-jawed giant in 30 seconds?

I missed it... was it all really this bad??

I almost left the gym early to come home and watch ><!

so now, any sweep is a "scissor sweep", and any low kick is a "cut kick". I guess they thought it would make them sound smarter if they used technical terms.

By the way, Wilson Reis is a monster. Is scares me to think that we're about the same weight. I wonder how much weight he cuts.

Free MMA? Man I have been paying for these dam UFCs since 1997, even though the results were f'ed I enjoyed the actually fights alot. Hopefully they can get better in the match ups with some decent complete fighters and we fans can get a few free shows for all our years of dedication :]

It made me appreciate the true world calss guys. I think it was probably good for the masses, but to even a somewhat trained eye pretty painful.

I think they called fights early just to be sure to keep the gore in check for the network tv debut.

Back