Thales Leites.

Macalpinerules

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Somebody give me a breakdown of Thales Leites. What should I expect from him moving forward? Is he a contender? I remember seeing him many years ago against Anderson but that's it. I don't really know how he's progressed in the years since. So someone who is knowledgeable about Leites pls fill me in on where he currently stands.

I'm not a Leites expert, but he seems to have added some sharp striking to his lethal BJJ arsenal so while he may not challenge for the title again, he's no joke and a game opponent for just about anyone.

Leites is a no-win situation for most guys. His name is kinda a joke, so he wont bring much credibility with a win over him. On the flip side, he is a very dangerous fighter, especially on the ground.

Leites is a no-win situation for most guys. His name is kinda a joke, so he wont bring much credibility with a win over him. On the flip side, he is a very dangerous fighter, especially on the ground.

I don't buy that argument at all, his name is no more a joke than Demian Maia.

wouldnt say hes a title contender, but hes covered his holes well since returning to UFC

He KO'd Carmont, who was 29-28'd by Jacare, so he's clearly improved. The Boetsch fight is kind of a no-win situation, since Boetsch is prone to being outclassed, but always has the chance of getting the lucky KO. Leites winning easily won't necessary show us anything we don't already know, but he could get KO'd.

Watch the fights?

Not trying to be smart-ass, but that's really best option.

Anyway, from what I know, it seems that since losing to Matt Horwich he really decided to get his shit together.

Looked very good and well rounded since.

He's a lot more confident in his striking and isn't afraid to throw bombs. He's nto a very technical striker, but he hits hard and since most people are thinking he's a grappler, they end up eating more punches than they should. He's a very good fighter, should never have been cut anyways, but I guess that was good for his development. His main issues will end up being cardio, and against technical strikers who can deal with power strikes.

He has really improved but most people still remember his butt scooting vs Anderson.

I like what I'm seeing with Thales. He sort of reinvented himself with focusing on his striking. I'm excited by the idea of him again in the UFC MW group.

Still hard to think back to his fight with AS...

I dont think its fair to call Maia a joke. Leites has been ever since the Anderson fight.

According to who? He's been a wrecking machine for the past four years. Anyone who follows MMA closely enough to remember the Anderson debacle should know that.

Watch the fights?

Not trying to be smart-ass, but that's really best option.

Anyway, from what I know, it seems that since losing to Matt Horwich he really decided to get his shit together.

Looked very good and well rounded since.

If I had fight pass I definitely would look up his fights.

He's a 6-10 ranked fighter, comparable to the Doberman.
striking has vastly improved since his 1st UFC run.

According to who? He's been a wrecking machine for the past four years. Anyone who follows MMA closely enough to remember the Anderson debacle should know that.

he was like that before the anderson fight too. there is a reason he is on a 7 fight win streak (4 in the ufc) and no one talks about him, or puts him in the top 10. Bad reputation. Anyone else puts Carmont to sleep and people are clung desperately to their nuts.

He hasn't improved his striking enough to threaten any of the truly elite fighters in the division, but he should be a fixture in the top 15 or possibly low top 10 for a while.
If I had fight pass I definitely would look up his fights.
Fight Pass costs as much per month as Netflix. There is really no reason to NOT have it at this point beyond serious financial destitution, or stubbornness.

I dont think its fair to call Maia a joke. Leites has been ever since the Anderson fight.

People seem to forget that the Anderson fight was almost 6 years ago. Comparing that Leites to the current one, is like comparing the vitor who fought saku to the current one.

After the Horowich(SP?) loss, I thought he was done. Then he avenged the loss, and has been on quite the terror since. I predict that he will upset a top 5 MW this year.

Back