Thai shorts question

tazojla

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Apolgies if I'm in the wrong forum category, first time posting!

Anyway I'm looking for some advice on Thai shorts, I currently have Top King gloves and Shin Guards so it'd be nice to have matching shorts (same brand). I'd ideally like 2 pairs of shorts to start off with one from Top King and one from Fairtex. I did look into Boon but I'm not too keen on the designs and they seem very "puffy". From some images Top King and Fairtex seem to be less puffy (Also considering Top King retro but are a bit too short for my liking). These are the two I like:

http://www.muaythaifactory.com/muay-thai-shorts.asp?ProductID=TKTBS-033

http://www.muaythaifactory.com/muay-thai-shorts.asp?ProductID=FT-BS0647

I've chosen this website as they offer the ability to customize your shorts with your own text and it'd be quite cool to have my name printed on the shorts, if anyone has had them done it'd be nice to know what the quality of printing is like.

Onto my main question I wear 30" jeans which tend to be a little loose so I'd ideally wear 29" jeans however now I fall into some odd categories for the shorts.

Top King
M 28"
L 30"

Fairtex
S 27"
M 30"

I'm (Just turned) 16 years old and about 140 lbs.

Any advise would be appreciated :)

You are like me and are in the odd waist size. I personally would go with 30" on both. They should have a drawstring to snug down. My Twins and Fairtex shorts both have them.

how tall are you and are you trim round your gut?

if you had a bit of podge to lose i'd say get the medium as it will come off with more dedicated training, but as you're 16 and still growing, the large might be a better idea

I have the first pair of Top Kings that you posted, just with a gym name sewn on the front. I'm 5'10", 155ish pounds, and around a 32" waist. That said, I wear an L in Top King shorts and a M in Fairtex which run smaller. You may want to consider going with the M in Top King or S in Fairtex.

Also, if you customize, they won't print on the shorts, they will cut and sew letters/patches onto them.

how tall are you and are you trim round your gut?

if you had a bit of podge to lose i'd say get the medium as it will come off with more dedicated training, but as you're 16 and still growing, the large might be a better idea

I'm 5' 7" and don't have a lot of fat. I haven't got a low enough bf percentage to show abs as I've got a bit of excess fat.

I have the first pair of Top Kings that you posted, just with a gym name sewn on the front. I'm 5'10", 155ish pounds, and around a 32" waist. That said, I wear an L in Top King shorts and a M in Fairtex which run smaller. You may want to consider going with the M in Top King or S in Fairtex.

Also, if you customize, they won't print on the shorts, they will cut and sew letters/patches onto them.

Ah thanks for that, I was hoping they'd be stitched as I was worried if they were printed it'd fade after a few washes. How do the shorts fit you? are they tight or does the elastic give quite a bit? I'm thinking M Top King and M Fairtex atm

Ah thanks for that, I was hoping they'd be stitched as I was worried if they were printed it'd fade after a few washes. How do the shorts fit you? are they tight or does the elastic give quite a bit? I'm thinking M Top King and M Fairtex atm

They fit me well, the waist does have a bit of give but it's also soft and comfortable. I will often tend to roll the waist (Thai Style!) if I'm working a lot of kicks, and they still don't look ridiculously short. I can send along a picture of me wearing them this evening if you want.

One thing you'll want to pay attention to is the Length measurement. The M Fairtex with a 15.5 length may be too "puffy" on you at only 5'7". S may be a better fit.

Anybody at your gym have some Thai shorts you can try on to get a better idea of size?

They fit me well, the waist does have a bit of give but it's also soft and comfortable. I will often tend to roll the waist (Thai Style!) if I'm working a lot of kicks, and they still don't look ridiculously short. I can send along a picture of me wearing them this evening if you want.

One thing you'll want to pay attention to is the Length measurement. The M Fairtex with a 15.5 length may be too "puffy" on you at only 5'7". S may be a better fit.

Anybody at your gym have some Thai shorts you can try on to get a better idea of size?
We're quite a small group of about a dozen who regularly train and nobody's got top king or fairtex, our gym had some made with their logo which the majority wear. I think that having a 27" waist on the Fairtex isn't going to stretch enough and would end up being too tight in a few months as I'm still growing. Would be nice to see some pics, no homo though haha

Top King sizes run big..

Easier to fold over and make even smaller though lol

Sorry, I've been slammed this week. I tried to take a pic of myself with the shorts on, so check your PM for that and let me know if it worked

Back