Thai Pad vs Kick Shield

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by MMA Forever, Jun 4, 2020.

1. MMA Forever Orange Belt

Im looking to buy one of these for training kicks. which one is better overall and what do you recommend?

2. xnhojx Yellow Belt

Shield for lowkicks, Thai pads for middle and high kicks. I would go with the thai pads if i had to only choose one because you can also punch, knee, and elbow thai pads

3. Mbdiablo Yellow Belt

golden glory used a lot kick shield you can see youtube video they did dutch partners drills,kick shield,heavy bag,sparring. coach only used thai pad mostly.

4. DoctorTaco Breadhead

A kick shield is a lot more versatile than people realize. belly pad, focus mitt and kick shield together is one of my favorite pad sets

5. MMA Forever Orange Belt

Good to know. Have any recommendations for a kick shield under $80?

6. Snubnoze707 High Level

Same here. Best way to practice hand combinations with leg kicks IMO.

I do that with this shield I did a review for:
    https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...e-versitile-leg-kicks.4080581/#post-158699511

I do also use Thai pads tho for hand combos w/ mid kicks.

DoctorTaco likes this.
  7. mides White Belt

In my gym one of our trainers is using kicking shields for Muay Thai and he puts them to real testing. Most of them break or fall apart after 2 months. There are just 2 that hold up well.

Reyes Round Shield - 160$
    https://www.cletoreyesboxing.com/product/training/cleto-reyes-punch-round-cushion-leather/
    Very robust despite the surface leather showing cracks. Using this one for 7 years. Maybe a bit heavy. I guess it is made for punching in mind, but it withstands kicks very well.

Fighter Kicking Shield - 60$
    https://www.fighters-inc.com/collections/large-mitts/products/fighter-kicking-shield-multi-grip-1086
    This we use for 3 years and it still is in good condition. It has grips on all sides which makes is usable in many positions. It is rather light for its size and the padding is showing now fatigue. Did not like the Vinyl surface at first, but it does well. Minimal tear and wear and easy to clean while we were following hygiene protocols when reopening after covid lockdown.