Thai Khalil Rountree = Jon Jones' worst match-up

Khalil..... Jones is about to fight fuckin Thiago Santos, who's kicks are nothing to shake a stick at, and the power he has in overall striking game is up near the top of the division.
giphy.gif
tumblr_pjg9s1E1lr1rofocqo1_400.gif

He is also a disciple of the Just Bleed Gods and will have no problem going out on his shield and remain the savage that he is. Khalil doesn't have that same engine driving him, he doesn't have that headhunting, aggressive, practically chute boxe style Santos has. Jones will likely wrestle him to a TKO or sub, because Jones is a smart fighter, and won't want to risk the home run swing ending up on his face.

Bottom line is, sitting here acting like Thai Khalil is new breed of something that can be an issue for Jones, when he is about to fight a killer like Santos, who will provide all the same kicking, and punching dangers to an even higher degree, is nonsense. Though I wish Santos all the best because he is a hell of an entertaining fighter to watch, we will all see how Jones likely dispatches of him, and it will also be your answer for how he would dispatch of Khalil.

Chuck with that look in his eye > Muay Thai Khalil Rountree

Could pose a challenge at a later date... But out of his next few contenders… Santos , Reyes and Walker. Got to go full Blue Label cause he has the size to cause problems...

Rumble had the best chance, but now that its not happening I don't see anyone beating Jones at LHW...... until Romero moves up.

Khalil started training muay thai after johnny walker ko'd him with an elbow

These gifs prove the "just chop his legs down!" theory is shit. Outside of the obvious reasons it isn't his achilles heal like people pretend it is, he's clearly good at absorbing them lol. Those are solid but he shows no effect and clearly knows how to brace for them and check them.
I mean that’s only 1 kick from a guy not known as a great leg kicker...

Jon’s opponents don’t have to attack his legs. What they really need to do is learn to shut down HIS kicking game.

Without his kicks, Jon isn’t much of a striker. And given how he seems to limp after every fight, I guarantee that Jon cannot handle a couple of hard checks and will stop attacking your legs immediately.

We've never seen anyone truly target Jon Jones' skinny legs inside the octagon as a gameplan. Imagine what Khalil would do to Jones' legs with just 1 leg kick. I sincerely believe that not Johnny Walker, not DC, not Stipe, but Thai Khalil is Jones' worst match-up.

Discuss
Roundtree is too small for 205. He's only 6'1. He looks like he weighs maybe ~215 in the Octagon, which isn't enough.

Plus, he was absolutely demolished by Johnny Walker, and the same result would happen if they rematched after a year in thailand. Roundtree needs to hope they add 165, and move WW and MW to 175 and 190.

Jon’s opponents don’t have to attack his legs. What they really need to do is learn to shut down HIS kicking game.

Without his kicks, Jon isn’t much of a striker. And given how he seems to limp after every fight, I guarantee that Jon cannot handle a couple of hard checks and will stop attacking your legs immediately.

Jones is easy to beat.... By a 'Dogger.

Yeah but that’s a bum
Obviously lol. Just saying he doesn't have to be Ricardo Arona to have some powerful leg kicks. You can tell both of those gifs he is throwing a solid leg kick and landing flush but Jones knows how to take them and he eats em up with his chicken legs no issue at all.

Sherdoggers have cried and cried for as long as Jones has been a thing to chop down his legs. We've seen guys try, its not something that works. 1.) Jones is better at it than you lol. Fighting at distance is his world and if you want to throw leg kicks RIP to your obliques. 2.) His wrestling is too good and we've seen him catch kicks.

Obviously lol. Just saying he doesn't have to be Ricardo Arona to have some powerful leg kicks. You can tell both of those gifs he is throwing a solid leg kick and landing flush but Jones knows how to take them and he eats em up with his chicken legs no issue at all.

Sherdoggers have cried and cried for as long as Jones has been a thing to chop down his legs. We've seen guys try, its not something that works. 1.) Jones is better at it than you lol. Fighting at distance is his world and if you want to throw leg kicks RIP to your obliques. 2.) His wrestling is too good and we've seen him catch kicks.
We've never seen someone consistently throw leg kicks at him. Vitor threw a couple of leg kicks against him with no trouble, but he's not known for kicking legs.

Now the reason people don't throw them against Jones might be due to his elite wrestling credentials, but it could also be due to the fact that they can't throw them without telegraphing it, which is what leads to the takedown. Jones has never fought an elite muay-thai striker.

E.g, nobody catches Barboza's leg kicks, because this is a craft that he simply has mastered. Something I feel this new and improved version of Khalil has as well.

Back