Thai Hop

I like using this...it's kinda like a feint, but for your legs (though you can use it to throw any strike off it). Also a good way to close into clinch range.

What size are those Twins? They look to be at least 18s lol.

I like using this...it's kinda like a feint, but for your legs (though you can use it to throw any strike off it). Also a good way to close into clinch range.

I use a pair of Twins in that same color for sparring, mine are 16 oz but they probably look 20. They're huge gloves, and the dreamsicle coloring doesn't make them look smaller. They're hella cushy though, my sparring partners appreciate them.

I use a pair of Twins in that same color for sparring, mine are 16 oz but they probably look 20. They're huge gloves, and the dreamsicle coloring doesn't make them look smaller. They're hella cushy though, my sparring partners appreciate them.

they are 16oz, they just look really big, not sure why. good gloves.

This hopping is used in Muay Chaiya too. It allows the chaiya fighter to move around and countering whilst employing the one-legged stance of Muay Chaiya.

Im gonna try this out next time i spar<Baelish01>

Good shit for sure. But you need thai balance to pull it off. And most of my students are lazy with working on their balance.

<mma3>

Good shit for sure. But you need thai balance to pull it off. And most of my students are lazy with working on their balance.

<mma3>

You are not teaching it right then..... The Thai hop should be fun........try spicing it up, maybe shoot at the floor whilst they hop around? Always gets the blood pumping.......

<mma3>

balance is key, off balance, no can defend, no can attack.

force them to do some 1 legged drills. Just hold a shincheck to the ribs for a long time

balance is key, off balance, no can defend, no can attack.

force them to do some 1 legged drills. Just hold a shincheck to the ribs for a long time

Every time I get out of the shower, I hold a high check to dry off my legs lol. Not sure if it's the lack of consistent training for a long time now or age but I'm seeing my balance starting to go...

giphy.gif

love the hop, i do it all the time, it's fun and you can set up pretty much anything with it. even long time spar partners are still clueless when i do it.

its a staple of muay thai.
Out of interest, how do you set it up and/or make it less telegraphed?

I know people normally set it up by teeping but my training partners are also very teep heavy and are all longer/taller than me. Which means that me trying to hop in will result in getting teeped and I can't teep to set it up (as I can't even get into my teeping distance before being teeped by them).

I notice a lot of people slide their back foot when doing the Thai-hop. Do you know how I can do the sliding motion?

I know people normally set it up by teeping but my training partners are also very teep heavy and are all longer/taller than me. Which means that me trying to hop in will result in getting teeped and I can't teep to set it up (as I can't even get into my teeping distance before being teeped by them).

I notice a lot of people slide their back foot when doing the Thai-hop. Do you know how I can do the sliding motion?
they need to respect your strikes for any kind of feint to work

You're getting it a little bit confused. The Thai Hop will be a set up for you, you want them to notice it so that you can draw the reaction.

So you don't want a thai hop without a telegraph, the thai hop is the telegraph.

E.G.

You Thai hop at me, and I flinch because I think its a teep or something.

Next time you Thai hop in, and hit me with an elbow, a round kick, pretty much anything

You're getting it a little bit confused. The Thai Hop will be a set up for you, you want them to notice it so that you can draw the reaction.

So you don't want a thai hop without a telegraph, the thai hop is the telegraph.

E.G.

You Thai hop at me, and I flinch because I think its a teep or something.

Next time you Thai hop in, and hit me with an elbow, a round kick, pretty much anything

Thanks Andy. The problem is that they don't flinch. Instead, they just throw a cross down the middle...

Wouldn’t lateral movement force the guy hopping to abandon or risk being put in bad position? We’ve trained stepping in and raising a knee like that to feint but actually short hopping like that just doesn’t strike me as sound advice unless your opponent is tired. I feel like they could circle a lot quicker than I could adjust on one leg.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. The problem is that they don't flinch. Instead, they just throw a cross down the middle...

That's probably because you have a weak teep - if your teep improves, the success with the hop will improve

Back