Thai footwork drills?

Matt Thornton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
I've heard that Thais use old tires to improve their footwork. Could someone please explain to me how they do this?

It's the same as the ladder technique.
I can't explain the intricacies of why it works, but the idea is you run with your feet in & out of the tyres.
I really should of paid more attention in sports science.
You must of seen soldiers training running over strips of tyres?

pistachio22 said:
It's the same as the ladder technique.
I can't explain the intricacies of why it works, but the idea is you run with your feet in & out of the tyres.
I really should of paid more attention in sports science.
You must of seen soldiers training running over strips of tyres?

Oh, they use them like that? Yeah, I've seen tire running. I thought maybe they used one tire, and stood on the edges, and somehow used that for footwork. Alright. Now I feel dumb. Haha.

iceman, pistachio is being completely retarded, that is NOT how they use tires, they put down a tire and jump on it, it's similar to jumping rope, and easier/different method if you will, pretty much any thai camp does this, and NO, they DON'T step in the tires...i have one and do this drill, it helps a fair amount, and it's fun, it's basically like a calf workout like jumping rope except it gets your whole ankle burning...try it out and happy training ^_^

killer_kicks88 said:
iceman, pistachio is being completely retarded, that is NOT how they use tires, they put down a tire and jump on it, it's similar to jumping rope, and easier/different method if you will, pretty much any thai camp does this, and NO, they DON'T step in the tires...i have one and do this drill, it helps a fair amount, and it's fun, it's basically like a calf workout like jumping rope except it gets your whole ankle burning...try it out and happy training ^_^

Ohh... so I WAS right! I'm just trying to compile a list of different exercises to do for footwork, calf strength, speed, etc. That definitely sounds like a cool one to add.

it is, and you can jump with your feet even on each side, or you can jump a few times orthadox then a few times southpaw, or one jump orthy one jump southy...and to postachio, sorry for calling you retarded, it was out of line, my bad

I won't argue that i'm a retard, cus' that would be lying.

Though i will argue theres more than one way to use a tyre. But the way killer_kicks88 describes, is a good one, you can use a thai pad or kick pad the same way aswell.

Iceman5592 said:
Ohh... so I WAS right! I'm just trying to compile a list of different exercises to do for footwork, calf strength, speed, etc. That definitely sounds like a cool one to add.

Yep. Easier than jumping rope.Of course you're still going to have to skip.

Back