Thai food vs. Chinese food

I would give a slight edge to Thai food very healthy. Although I love wonton soup and lemon chicken.

Randy
Hey, if my comment came out in the wrong way, I apologise. It wasn't intended to be. Good food is good food, doesn't matter if it's really Authentic. It's the bad food that spoils the name of one culture food that must be spoke up against. I would love to try those Cream cheese wontons myself.

I'm not sure about Orange chicken thus I left it out in my previous comment. But honestly, I don't think so. Might be a creative dish that they came up with for fusion imo. In general, Chinese use tangerine peels for soup. But hey, I'm not an expert. I just love eating good food of all culture.

EDIT:
I'm a sucker for fish tails. Most of my friends laughs at me and rushes for the fish cheeks. ^^

I only ever had thai food once and it was fucking disgusting. I'm sure there's good thai food out there, but I don't care to try it again after my 'thai curry' that I actually didn't eat. I had a few bites and just sat there watching everyone eating their thai food.

I'm a guy who will order escargot, so if I find something that puts me off like that, I trust my gut.

I only ever had thai food once and it was fucking disgusting. I'm sure there's good thai food out there, but I don't care to try it again after my 'thai curry' that I actually didn't eat. I had a few bites and just sat there watching everyone eating their thai food.

I'm a guy who will order escargot, so if I find something that puts me off like that, I trust my gut.

Green Thai Curry? Haha, I'm not a lover too. I LOVES Curry, especially those thick paste Indian ones, but those green Thai ones put me off. I find them edible, but in no way nice or recommendable to people that haven't tried them. I gave it 3 tries at different restaurants and none were to my liking as well. FYI: I never seen them in Thailand after so many visits.

And Eeeww at Escargot. Twice I tried, not my cup of tea.

Green Thai Curry? Haha, I'm not a lover too. I LOVES Curry, especially those thick paste Indian ones, but those green Thai ones put me off. I find them edible, but in no way nice or recommendable to people that haven't tried them. I gave it 3 tries at different restaurants and none were to my liking as well. FYI: I never seen them in Thailand after so many visits.

did you just typed "Eeeww"?

346s5ew.gif

Escargot just tastes like garlic butter. My point was more, I'll try anything. But Thai food is my one thing. Funny how a bad experience can stick with you.

Randy
Hey, if my comment came out in the wrong way, I apologise. It wasn't intended to be. Good food is good food, doesn't matter if it's really Authentic. It's the bad food that spoils the name of one culture food that must be spoke up against. I would love to try those Cream cheese wontons myself.

I'm not sure about Orange chicken thus I left it out in my previous comment. But honestly, I don't think so. Might be a creative dish that they came up with for fusion imo. In general, Chinese use tangerine peels for soup. But hey, I'm not an expert. I just love eating good food of all culture.

EDIT:
I'm a sucker for fish tails. Most of my friends laughs at me and rushes for the fish cheeks. ^^

Appreciate the post but I was being sarcastic. :)

Fake Chinese food has its moments but I'm all about that authentic.

Thai,

Chinesse is good too, but thai is awesome.

As someone else mentioned it has a lighter feel after you eat it.

Thai food all the time. Pad thai and spicy coconut chicken curry.

did you just typed "Eeeww"?

346s5ew.gif

Hahaha.. really, I simply don't get Escargot. One of my friend from the states says twice yearly after rainy seasons, she will visit her Garden and grab snails that pop out, some hiding inside power box to prepare them. Said it's not restaurant taste but it will do.

When I first tasted it, 12 or 13, I went in with high hopes of trying a new dish that it will be my new favorite food because it always looks classy. It wasn't as expected. Few years down the route, I convinced myself that the restaurant might be the issue, not the ingredient itself. Second try in a new restaurant still isn't what I expected. I mean it looks GREAT both time, but the taste/texture of it just isn't my thing.

Escargot just tastes like garlic butter. My point was more, I'll try anything. But Thai food is my one thing. Funny how a bad experience can stick with you.

Yes, 1 single BAD food experience sticks. There was once when I visited Genting Highlands Malaysia when I was a kid, probably 8 or 9. The breakfast buffet was an eye opener for me. I got these meshed up things that I thought was Tuna, and BAM! The taste is indescribable. I spit it out immediately. My mum was laughing until she tried it herself. 10mins later, our whole table "stinked" up and we was confused where it came from until we moved that plate. Til this day, I still have no idea what the meshed up thing was, but I don't dare trying food visually similar to it since for any of my Hotel breakfast.

thai food has much better flavor. pad thai and pad see yoo (spelling).. their soups are delicious like tom yun kun and fried rice and curries are delicious.

i grew up on chinese food (thanks dad..) and it's just too damn oily. not that they dont' have their specialities but i feel shitty after i eat it every time

Even though I prefer Chinese, Thai has some heavy hitters and I like their food plenty.

Thai Boat Noodles is serious bidness.

For those finding Chinese too oily, I agree. But try to find these, if it's available in USA, and it will change your view on Chinese Cuisine.

Teochew Steam Fish
4292839962_08c2d8344c_o.jpg

They use White Pomfret in general. But can be swapped with Red Grouper. The base is salty favored. Plum is the main favoring along with Ginger, Red Chilli and Tomato.

Cantonese Steam Fish
IMG_0124.jpg

Another steam fish, but base using soy sauce and rock sugar. I'm unsure of the name of the fish used in general. But it's typically 2 types alternate.

Large mouth bass is used ALOT for the steam fish, they are mainly referred to as green bass in Asia.

Other commonly used fish are flounder, seabass, bass, or snapper

Thai food by a long shot.
There is far more consistency of quality in Thai dishes than in Chinese dishes when dining out.
I usually cook Chinese food at home because it's always inconsistent at every restaurant serving Chinese food.
Also, most Chinese dishes are not spicy enough for me.

Thai food by a long shot.
There is far more consistency of quality in Thai dishes than in Chinese dishes when dining out.
I usually cook Chinese food at home because it's always inconsistent at every restaurant serving Chinese food.
Also, most Chinese dishes are not spicy enough for me.

Try Sichuan style Chinese food if you can. They specialize in spicy dishes.

Try Sichuan style Chinese food if you can. They specialize in spicy dishes.

This. had some awesome spicy food while I was in Chengdu.

People saying chinese food is to heavy never had real chinese food.

If you feel Chinese is fried and oily in most cases, that because you're eating the Americanized Chinese food.

Basically, if General Tso's Chicken is on the menu, you are at an American Chinese restaurant. I'm not sure if Portland even has something that could be called authentic Chinese food. Are there enough fob Chinese there to even support one?

Haha.

Stirfry is not Americanized, but it's still kinda oily. I have a lot of Chinese relatives, and their home cooked meals are my reference [def legit]. Most regions of China known for their cooking use a noticeable amount of oil (not necessarily deep fry) to stir fry. Fried rice and (most of) their noodles [both basic staples] are stir fried with oil. Mostly with peanut, sesame oil, etc.

Chinese peoples do not tend to set up restaurants which proudly serve authenticity, although there are a few (ones which you'll only find Chinese people eating at). I've been to those, several times, too. I know what I'm talking about here

-----

As for "the haters" hatin on Chinese food, there are none. Everyone likes it.

The descriptions of too oily or too heavy in this thread are just comparative (because this is a comparison thread) in relation to Thai food. Take it easy, fellas!

Last edited:
Back