Thai food vs. Chinese food

Seems like the Chinese haters are eating Americanized crap. It would be like judging mma versus tennis and only having watched crack whores fight over ****.
yeah real crap. strange that they are on every street corner when it's just so crappy

For those finding Chinese too oily, I agree. But try to find these, if it's available in USA, and it will change your view on Chinese Cuisine.

Xiao Long Bao
xiaolongbao2.jpg

1285.jpg

Teochew Steam Fish
4292839962_08c2d8344c_o.jpg

They use White Pomfret in general. But can be swapped with Red Grouper. The base is salty favored. Plum is the main favoring along with Ginger, Red Chilli and Tomato.

Cantonese Steam Fish
IMG_0124.jpg

Another steam fish, but base using soy sauce and rock sugar. I'm unsure of the name of the fish used in general. But it's typically 2 types alternate.

Oh hell yes 5crew. I am a fanatic for xiao long bao. Particularly Taiwanese style. Taiwanese food is the best Chinese food style by my lights. Even their vegetables are incredibly tasty.

And that steamed fish with the caramel soy .... ridiculously tasty.

Here's two more nominations for most delicious Chinese food. First, Muslim Chinese barbecue, over charcoal. Stupidly tasty.

Second, Chinese Vietnamese seafood. So fricking good ...

Chinese is too fried and oily in most cases; even worse when americanized (like most restaurants). There's a lot of stuff that tastes pretty good, but leaves you feeling heavy unless you didn't eat as much as you wanted

Thai food is more limited, but I feel it's focus is an advantage because it's all truly amazing. I also feel incredibly energized after eating it

Thai for me. I feel like I could eat it eryday and still be in good shape

If you feel Chinese is fried and oily in most cases, that because you're eating the Americanized Chinese food.

Basically, if General Tso's Chicken is on the menu, you are at an American Chinese restaurant. I'm not sure if Portland even has something that could be called authentic Chinese food. Are there enough fob Chinese there to even support one?

I need to convince my boss to send me to Beijing so I can try authentic Peking Duck. I've wanted to try this shit forever.

Peking-Duck-picture.jpg

For those finding Chinese too oily, I agree. But try to find these, if it's available in USA, and it will change your view on Chinese Cuisine.

Xiao Long Bao
xiaolongbao2.jpg

1285.jpg

Teochew Steam Fish

They use White Pomfret in general. But can be swapped with Red Grouper. The base is salty favored. Plum is the main favoring along with Ginger, Red Chilli and Tomato.

Cantonese Steam Fish
IMG_0124.jpg

Another steam fish, but base using soy sauce and rock sugar. I'm unsure of the name of the fish used in general. But it's typically 2 types alternate.

You can find those in the chinatowns, but for the fish you need to know how to read chinese. They dont post that in english.

These chinese restaurants are hurting themselves, the really nice places I mean. They have two menus. The real good stuff in chinese, and in english is the americanized cuisine. I dont know what their problem is. It is like they do not wish to share.

The fish is most likely a carp. The small ones, not that huge one that can jump out of the water and knock people unconscious and into the water to die.

I never had Thai food in my life so I'm going with Chinese food.

bref
If you haven't tried Peking Duck in your country, you are in for a treat. I tried it in many restaurants, locally though, and even the worst of them taste good. I imagine if you goes to Beijing, you won't forget the taste.

Personal Tips:
Find the drumstick part of the meat, 1 Scallion, 1 Cucumber. If the Cucumber is warm, ask them to "Fishing" change it. LOL! The cucumber must be slightly cooled or even to the extend of freezing cold. As for the sauces, try to put at minimum for your first bite, then add or reduce depending on your own preferences.

Reason for the above tips:
1. Drumstick is the oiliest of all part. Trust me, you won't taste anything remotely oily after the wrap but will bring out the taste x10
2. Freezing Cucumber will bring out the crunch and sweetness.
3. The sauce is pretty sweet, putting at a minimum for your FIRST wrap will let you taste how Peking really should be. If you put too much, it might be over powering. After the first wrap, you can add more sauce to your preference as I mentioned.

Put it in this order, Wrap, Meat, Stallion and Cucumber side by side, then the paste.
Some will spread the paste on the Wrap then Meat, Stallion and Cucumber. But try it my way for your FIRST bite.

picgifs-mind-blown-774951.gif

Xiao Long Bao
xiaolongbao2.jpg

1285.jpg

Teochew Steam Fish

Cantonese Steam Fish
IMG_0124.jpg

I'll take those fish cheeks.

I'd have to go with Chinese, due to the variety. I especially enjoy the "Hong Kong BBQ/Cuisine" kind of Chinese food. However, Pad Thai is the shit. And shoutout to bref for his Char Siu pic.

Thai food all day. I've never had an authentic Chinese dish that blew my mind.

You can find those in the chinatowns, but for the fish you need to know how to read chinese. They dont post that in english.

These chinese restaurants are hurting themselves, the really nice places I mean. They have two menus. The real good stuff in chinese, and in english is the americanized cuisine. I dont know what their problem is. It is like they do not wish to share.

The fish is most likely a carp. The small ones, not that huge one that can jump out of the water and knock people unconscious and into the water to die.

I think they used to do that to keep Whitey McWhiteface from ordering the wrong thing then proceeding to freak out when only a fish head shows up on their plate later. Foodie culture has changed the public, but in the mind of a lot of old school, traditional restauranteurs, you don't offer the people who can't read Chinese real Chinese food.

I need to convince my boss to send me to Beijing so I can try authentic Peking Duck. I've wanted to try this shit forever.

Peking-Duck-picture.jpg

Man, I had Peking duck at one of these famous, 100 year old joints in Beijing and honestly, I wasn't that impressed. First, it was very touristy - these guys are serving thousands of patrons a day. Second, it was just decent duck. Nothing to write home about. IMO, you're likely to find Peking duck that is just as good, if not better, in SF or NYC.

I'm not sure if it's Carp. Carp have a "muddy" taste to them. And about the Menu problm, it's the same for all countries. I agree it's a pity, they could profit so much more if they English translate them.

Once again, an experience from Thailand. Me and my friends were walking around on a unknown street after a "Stage Performance" we bought from their Chinatown. Because it was an last minute thing, we were unfamiliar with the area and it was after 10pm. Most convenience stalls/restaurants nearby are closed and we were STARVING.

We came upon a street stall that was pretty crowded with locals and we liked the food the customers were eating. We knew it will be difficult to communicate because the area was not the place typical tourist visits. We sat down however and the waiter came, you could see from his face that he was Mm.. damn.. tourist how am I going to speak to them. He brought the menu filled with Thai and was going through 1 dish at a time. Pointing his hand and flapping with chicken sounds to indicate it's chicken wing, lol, 3 dish down and 50+ more to go, another waiter came. He said "China? China man?" We said no, Singaporean. He walked off and came back a minute later with a very old and torn up paper. It was the menu written in Chinese to our surprise.

We placed our orders based on that and I must say, the food was great. My group was discussing after the meal, since he already have the prototype Menu in chinese, why not laminate a proper one. It could help his business so much. Asian are not used to giving tips, because it's not in our culture, but for his afford I gave a hefty tip to the guy while we were leaving.

EDIT: The fish I prefer is 金目鱸, I just google translated and wiki it, it's Barramundi a type of Sea Bass.

I think they used to do that to keep Whitey McWhiteface from ordering the wrong thing then proceeding to freak out when only a fish head shows up on their plate later. Foodie culture has changed the public, but in the mind of a lot of old school, traditional restauranteurs, you don't offer the people who can't read Chinese real Chinese food.

YC.

This be true, but there has to be solutions to this issue. How about pictures, or english descriptions?

I giggled at "Whitey McWhiteface" Haha..

I agree, set up just 1 single set of special Menu. How much time will it take to translate and laminate? I could understand for Street stores, they might be simple people just trying to earn for a living. But restaurants are supposed to owned by "business" man. They should know how to maximize their profit.

Humble opinion, at the minimum they should have Menus in their original language.
1 set of English Menu, detailed description.
1 set of Chinese Menu, detailed description.

I'm not 100% sure about this but western travelers, English speakers, and China people that speaks Chinese I don't even understand despite being a Chinese myself should be the largest tourist group. Don't lose those profits man. ^^

I love authentic Chinese food. Cream cheese wontons and orange flavored chicken is my favorite!

I love authentic Chinese food. Cream cheese wontons and orange flavored chicken is my favorite!

keke, Cream cheese wontons is not Authentic Chinese food. Come on, cheese? :icon_chee

We don't even have that in Singapore, which is a country that fused every single food culture together, for good or the bad. ^^

EDIT:
I recognise you from the Street Food thread.
I loves these threads, keep the food discussion coming.

I love my food spicy, and slightly prefer spicy Thai dishes to spicy Hunan or Sichuan Chinese. Can't stand sweet, gelatinous "western style" Chinese.
I do still love a good yum cha hole in the wall though.

keke, Cream cheese wontons is not Authentic Chinese food. Come on, cheese? :icon_chee

We don't even have that in Singapore, which is a country that fused every single food culture together, for good or the bad. ^^

EDIT:
I recognise you from the Street Food thread.
I loves these threads, keep the food discussion coming.

Okay, maybe cream cheese wontons aren't authentic but you can't tell me orange flavored chicken isn't!!!

But seriously, Chinese food shits all over Thai in every way possible. China has so much damn variety and deliciousness it will make your head spin. Easily top 3 greatest cuisines of the world.

Back