Thai food vs. Chinese food

I've never actually tried Thai food. Not sure which I would prefer, but I don't really care for Chinese that much myself. Mainly because I've never liked onions and I don't eat them, and they're in pretty much everything. A lot of Chinese dishes at least, so I'm usually stuck ordering basic stuff with big chunks I can pick out or I have to ask them to make it with no onion.

#firstworldproblems

Onions are the fucking worst. Literally just about the only "common" food I hate but I love asian food...I dont find that the onions are usually too unbearable in most dishes.

I used to eat Chinese food every other day. Now, I rarely eat it because after having Thai and really good Chinese, I can't bring myself to eat the crappy stuff in my immediate area. I will take Thai food all day, any day over Chinese. PF Chang's is pretty good, though-but I would rather have a nice red curry, or Chicken Prih King and some Tom Kha soup.

Ughh can't I just have both? On one plate?

I love both. There are so many variants of Chinese food. With such a large population encompassing a huge geographical area, there is bound to be many different styles. I love dim sum, Cantonese, Szechuan, and other styles. I'm not as familiar with Thai food, but it is likely that Chinese food more diverse. If I had to pick only one cuisine to eat for the rest of my life, I'd pick Chinese. Anthony Bourdain said that behind every great cook is a Chinese guy.

i eat chinese food a lot but gotta try some good thai food

I've tried a lot of Chinese food, but haven't come across anything similar to Thai food.

chinese food has way more variety than thai..

In general I would say I prefer Thai food, but Char Siu might be the greatest food of all time.

SSWF-CharSiu2.jpg

China is huge with diverse ethnic background, unless you are referring to Panda express Americanized Chinese food, then lumping them all in one group is like me asking if ppl like European food.

Chinese food. China is like the USA of Asia, so many different ethnicities, cultures and types of food in one country, it's easy to find something you like to eat.

China is huge with diverse ethnic background, unless you are referring to Panda express Americanized Chinese food, then lumping them all in one group is like me asking if ppl like European food.

46440183.jpg

Thai all day.

Most Chinese joints make American Chinese.. way too much sugar and MSG. Apple sauce in chili sauce and sweet and sour made with ketchup... these are common practices at a lot of these shithole Chinese places. Peanut butter in fried rice, cream cheese in crab rangoon.

I'm an Asian, Chinese. But in all fairness, Chinese Cuisine is undoubtedly better for most people in general.

Reasons:
1. Authentic Thai Cuisine mainly consist of Sweet, Sour favor.
2. Authentic Chinese Cuisine have ALL favors, Sweet, Sour, Spicy, Ridiculously Spicy, Salty, Bitter. As many have pointed out, it's because China is "stupid" big and have WAY more varieties.

I have no actual knowledge of Chinese/Thai food over in USA, only impressions from TV series. But I would say from those, you guys aren't getting actual Chinese food in their original favor.

Fried Wanton might be similar, but there really isn't Char Mee, those with rectangular take away boxes. It's probably altered to suit local taste. Really, there isn't Char Mee in general. Direct translation is Fried Noodles, and if you try to order that in Asia country, they will be puzzled. Because they will be thinking how do you want it fried? There are probably upwards of 10 ways to "Char" Mee.

takeaway.jpg

Even for restaurant that says they are serving Authentic Cuisine, it IS slightly altered to suit locals, they are still an business after all. You will find the same food tasting different if you travel to per say Thailand or China.

Traditional Thai Food are generally too strongly favored, Sweet and Sour as mentioned above as their main. Most people likely can't accept it unless they have really sweet tooth. Even those in Bangkok are slightly altered to suit tourist taste.

I traveled to Chiang Mai, Lampang and Chiang Rai. Lesser tourist visit there. And the food are Mmm.. different from Bangkok :icon_lol:

Back