Thai food vs. Chinese food

WorldofWarcraft

Holy Paladin
Banned
Reaction score
Which one do you prefer? I've been eating a lot of thai food lately since this new Thai restaurant opened up close to my house.

I love chilli mint

Chicken-Chili-Mint-pg-5-(1).jpg

and chicken pannang

Chicken+-+Chicken+Panang+Curry.JPG

Also Issan sausages

northern-sausage.jpg

Chinese all day brah, ive had a thai green curry before but didn't like it

Pad Thai is my favorite dish by either of those traditions, but overall, I like Chinese cuisine more. This will be tough to compare, and I'm not sure how meaningful it will be. The reason is that 99% of Chinese restaurants over here are "Chimerican" while most Thai places, even in rural areas like where I live, are more authentic in their representation. Additionally, authentic Chinese cuisine varies more from region to region than Thai cuisine does from some of its neighboring countries (ex. Laos). Additionally, there's a lot of Chinese food that is consumed by Chinese today that I simply wouldn't touch. Gutter oil is disgusting. The question of "culinary tradition" almost becomes academic the moment China's name is whispered.

Chinese has more variety. Way more.

However, I love Phat si io so Thai gets my vote.

Are you sure the Thai restaurants you are eating at are not run and owned by ethnic Chinese? Plus Thai cuisine has a huge Chinese influence. It is Chinese food with a tropical twist. Pad thai is just Lo Mein. That chicken panang is just chicken with string beans in a tropical sauce.

I've never actually *real* Chinese food to compare it too....just the standard crap from P.F. Chang's and lesser places so I can't compare honestly compare the two. My top 3 thus far:

1) Thai
2) Vietnamese
3) Indian + Korean = too close to call.

Are you sure the Thai restaurants you are eating at are not run and owned by ethnic Chinese? Plus Thai cuisine has a huge Chinese influence. It is Chinese food with a tropical twist. Pad thai is just Lo Mein. That chicken panang is just chicken with string beans in a tropical sauce.

that's often the case, but what i find most appealing about better thai restaurants is that there is a really nice flavor totally distinct from chinese. think of the palate and all the basic flavor profiles: thai has most working at once. Sweet, savory, sour, spicy, bitter. Awesome when done well. but a lot of places tend to hit just one or two notes and give a sort of one dimensional version of thai food.

Chinese has more variety. Way more.

this is a great point, but most of us don't get to experience the variety. as someone else pointed out, there's a lot of americanized dishes you find throughout the US and not so much attention to regional styles.

I eat more Chinese food than Thai food. But I also eat more Malaysian food than Thai food. And I eat more Vietnamese food than Thai food.

Pad Thai has rice noodles and lo mein has wheat noodles. All the cuisines in East and SE Asia have a big Chinese Influence (rice, soy bean products). Like how the Romans spread bread and cheese throughout Europe. In SE Asia there's also a spice trade influence coming from India to Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia. And then there's a raw herb/vegetable band from Thailand to Vietnam. I'm not too familiar with Laos or Cambodia, but they probably exhibit those influences.

Depends on my mood...Chinese, Japanese, and Thai are all very different when it really comes down to it. I love them all. A good spicy Thai Curry with about 3 pounds of rice hits the spot sometimes..as does Sushi at other times, and Chinese junk food like Sesame Chicken once in a while too.

No competition. Chinese foods >>>> Thai food just due to volume and variety.

Both very tasty and delicious. But given that both can be equally amazing the variety wins.

Thai food.

The hipster in me wants to scoff and qualify by specifying "northern Thailand" cuisine.

Depends on my mood...Chinese, Japanese, and Thai are all very different when it really comes down to it. I love them all. A good spicy Thai Curry with about 3 pounds of rice hits the spot sometimes..as does Sushi at other times, and Chinese junk food like Sesame Chicken once in a while too.

Have you done Philly yet?

Han Dynasty is right by Eulogy which is one of the best beer bars in the city.

oh man, thai food by a million miles. even the smell of chinese food repulses me.

I've never actually tried Thai food. Not sure which I would prefer, but I don't really care for Chinese that much myself. Mainly because I've never liked onions and I don't eat them, and they're in pretty much everything. A lot of Chinese dishes at least, so I'm usually stuck ordering basic stuff with big chunks I can pick out or I have to ask them to make it with no onion.

#firstworldproblems

Little bit a dis, little bit a dat.

Panang curry all day, but you can't exactly fuck with a peking ravioli either.

Chinese is too fried and oily in most cases; even worse when americanized (like most restaurants). There's a lot of stuff that tastes pretty good, but leaves you feeling heavy unless you didn't eat as much as you wanted

Thai food is more limited, but I feel it's focus is an advantage because it's all truly amazing. I also feel incredibly energized after eating it

Thai for me. I feel like I could eat it eryday and still be in good shape

Seems like the Chinese haters are eating Americanized crap. It would be like judging mma versus tennis and only having watched crack whores fight over ****.

Back