Texas BJJ instructor convicted for sex with 14 year old student

Spazzmaster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Stephenville, Texas.

http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/article/20160727/NEWS/160729607

It took less than an hour for an Erath County jury to find the former owner of BQuick Brazilian Jiu Jitsu guilty of sexually assaulting a student who was 14 years old at the time.

Jurors were still assessing punishment for Samuel David Lewis, 25, Wednesday afternoon.He was arrested in January 2014 and charged with sexual assault of a child, a second degree felony.

Quote from his wife (now ex-wife, obviously):

“I wanted to know why. Was it because she was pretty? Was it because she was young? Was it because she did Jiu Jitsu? Because I thought I was a pretty good wife,” she said.

He said it was because of Jiu Jitsu and that was the only time he mentioned it at all.”

So, yet another story about BJJ leading to sexual assault of a minor. Let's see if Gracie Mag or Jiu-Jitsu Mag or Jiu Jitsu Style does a feature about this one. And people wonder why I'm cynical.

I'll get flamed for this but is it just me or is the bailiff

8f656d910009939ebeea04e58b54961d_400x400.jpeg

Youth athletics is mostly a front for molestation.

It would be an interesting statistic if more girl and women have defended themself using bjj or where molested by their coaches.

So, yet another story about BJJ leading to sexual assault of a minor. Let's see if Gracie Mag or Jiu-Jitsu Mag or Jiu Jitsu Style does a feature about this one. And people wonder why I'm cynical.

I can't work out what your point actually is here?

Are you trying to suggest that BJJ is somehow unique in sexual assaults? Why would that be the case? It's clearly not since unfortunately in pretty much any activity where adults come into close contact with minors, there are some losers who cannot control themselves or perverts who actively target them. This goes for gymnastics, judo, cub scouts, soccer, chess clubs and schools and so on. It's likely to be worse in more amateur situations like privately held sports clubs and dojos compared to government run organisations where child safety is considered paramount and taken more seriously.

Point is that there are multiple scandals like this in BJJ that somehow are never reported or addressed by BJJ media, or the BJJ world at large.

Did you know Hermes Franca is out of prison and immediately teaching kids again?

Last edited:
14 used to be age of consent in Canada. Now its 16.

Cool, you want to do a story on one of the many cases of teachers having sex with students in public schools????
This is by far the most prolific underage sex crimes going on today if you like read the news and shit.

Is the grand school superintendent going to say something about this???

Just another reason I don't trust public schools, well this and Common Core.

Point is that there are multiple scandals like this in BJJ that somehow are never reported or addressed by BJJ media, or the BJJ world at large.

Did you know Hermes Franca is out of prison and immediately teaching kids again?

There is this in every fucking walk of life though.

if you think bjj is gonna be free of this you are just dumb as fuck

14 used to be age of consent in Canada. Now its 16.

But in Canada, even if the girl is age of consent of 16 and this happened, it's still illegal due to the position of power the coach would hold over her.

Yes.

These skeezy coaches should make like Franca and get jobs in Brazil where this shit is legal.

dead man walking

You're acting like the only way people will find out about it is if it gets reported by some shit-tier BJJ journalist like the clowns at Jiu-Jitsu Times. This isn't going to be a secret; the fact that it's posted here is proof of that.

Not trying to start stuff but I wonder how the number of cases of this happening in BJJ compares to the number of it happening in other martial arts. There was that one female karate teacher not long ago who was sleeping with a student. But I can't think of any others.

I can't say if correlation is causation, or that it is happening in other martial arts but going unreported. I'm just curious to see if one art is higher than the other, then we would better be able to to determine why and then correct those problems. BJJ is good at self policing so having some stats on that would help IMO.

Not trying to start stuff but I wonder how the number of cases of this happening in BJJ compares to the number of it happening in other martial arts. There was that one female karate teacher not long ago who was sleeping with a student. But I can't think of any others.

I can't say if correlation is causation, or that it is happening in other martial arts but going unreported. I'm just curious to see if one art is higher than the other, then we would better be able to to determine why and then correct those problems. BJJ is good at self policing so having some stats on that would help IMO.

The style-vs-style debate just took a turn.

Back