Law Texas approves bill banning ‘meat’ and ‘beef’ from labels of plant-based foods

Common sense bill. Words have meaning. You can't just label something meat if its not meat.
Words have fluid meanings now. Ben Shapiro is a Nazi and Kaitlyn Jenner was woman of the year. So this law makes sense even if it's low hanging fruit in the sphere of that conversation.

They're representing themselves as a meat substitute.

It would be a garbage scheme. They're paying more to produce the product than they would with real meat, they're marketing directly to 4% of the country in people who don't eat meat, and you think the whole point is to trick people in to accidentally buying the product when it's even more expensive than regular meat?

I imagine, like almost any other company, they want as many people as possible buying their products, and their packaging reflects that. Vegans will buy it, because Beyond is famous with vegans and they know what it is. But if they can pick up some clueless old ladies just trying to grab some beef too, I doubt they'll complain.

Words have fluid meanings now. Ben Shapiro is a Nazi and Kaitlyn Jenner was woman of the year. So this law makes sense even if it's low hanging fruit in the sphere of that conversation.

@panamaican already says that he commonly refers to fruits and nuts as meat.

I imagine, like almost any other company, they want as many people as possible buying their products, and their packaging reflects that. Vegans will buy it, because Beyond is famous with vegans and they know what it is. But if they can pick up some clueless old ladies just trying to grab some beef too, I doubt they'll complain.
The point is it's a meat substitute, how do they sell that product without any mention of meat? Old ladies aren't buying some new product that's more expensive without reading it. This is a solution to a problem that didn't exist. And again, if that's the business model, they're going out of business in a month.

Meat industry is shook.
For good reason too.

They days of dominance are going to dwindle when cultured meat hits a certain price point. Traditionally raised meat should be a delicacy. Not something people gorge on 3 times a day.

Last edited:
@panamaican already says that he commonly refers to fruits and nuts as meat.
Sure, you can use the word to distinguish the edible parts of plant matter from the shell or seed, but that's not what the vast majority of people think of when they hear "meat".

The point is it's a meat substitute, how do they sell that product without any mention of meat?

I guess we will see soon enough. I'm sure marketing will figure something out.

I guess we will see soon enough. I'm sure marketing will figure something out.
They shouldn't have to. I love that's what my state thinks needs regulation though, after hundreds of thousands just had to recycle snow water and burn whatever they could find to keep from freezing to death.

They shouldn't have to. I love that's what my state thinks needs regulation though, after hundreds of thousands just had to recycle snow water and burn whatever they could find to keep from freezing to death.

Cool note about government: you can propose more than one bill at a time.

Cool note about government: you can propose more than one bill at a time.
Oh yeah, you'll have to link me to the energy regulations that went through. I was under the assumption there weren't any.

Oh yeah, you'll have to link me to the energy regulations that went through. I was under the assumption there weren't any.
https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB3/id/2350590
Texas Senate Bill 3
Bill Title: Relating to preparing for, preventing, and responding to weather emergencies and power outages; increasing the amount of administrative and civil penalties.
Spectrum: Partisan Bill (Republican 4-0)

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB3/id/2350590
Texas Senate Bill 3
Bill Title: Relating to preparing for, preventing, and responding to weather emergencies and power outages; increasing the amount of administrative and civil penalties.
Spectrum: Partisan Bill (Republican 4-0)
<mma4>
I'll have to look closer at this when I get off of work. Republicans here run on deregulation, so it's not exactly their promised platforms.

Last edited:
Fuck me you guys seriously need to start reading the preceding comments rather than awkwardly injecting yourself into the conversation.

Someone said that product above could never be confused for meat. That's his argument. Do you agree? A yes or no will suffice.
Wow I went back and read all that just to get to essentially the same point I initially mistook it for. In the ultra rare case we have someone who can only read the word beef, yeah they might fall for it. I doubt they fall or the double the price cost though. Kind of a stupid point

Daft question but would potato chips technically fall under this rule

prod_img-7927195_pringlesrotisseriechicken.png
I'm not sure if the stores should be allowed to sell that in the same aisle with food products.

You’re really focusing on one product in particular though that is maybe a little questionable. I say maybe because it says “plant based” at the bottoms and it isn’t exactly in fine print.

I agree that they should clearly label it as plant based on the packaging. The reality is that this is not what this ban is about. It’s about them protecting corporate interest by making it hard for these plant based meats to advertise what they are. There is imitation sausage, chicken, beef, etc. those words let people lookin go for these replacements know which one is which with no confusion.

If you can't say imitation Chicken etc then I would agree. Even in Ramen noodles you can put beef flavor even tho there is no beef.... so if it is that extreme then I would agree there should be some middle ground

I said zero chance of a poor family doing it. I mean you might be able to pull one example out of a million, that's less than 1%. You're the one who said you were torn about the law and then later claimed you didn't even think it was necessary.

It makes even less sense that the law is for those who can read because it says it's plant-based. It's a new market that's trying to establish itself as a substitute for meat, not trick people in to thinking it is meat. Because that defeats the entire purpose, it's targeted to people who don't want to eat meat.

Did I say I was torn? I don't recall saying that but I'm in the middle of it and wouldn't lose sleep over it if it went either way.

My point is that people absolutely can confuse that shit for meat and you don't have to be an immigrant to do that.

So to conclude in regards to you and @Blayt7hh concession accepted. Thank you for painfully conceding my point.

Did I say I was torn? I don't recall saying that but I'm in the middle of it and wouldn't lose sleep over it if it went either way.

My point is that people absolutely can confuse that shit for meat and you don't have to be an immigrant to do that.

So to conclude in regards to you and @Blayt7hh concession accepted. Thank you for painfully conceding my point.
If your point was just that literally one out of millions of purchases could be accidental, then sure I concede.

Back