Law Texas approves bill banning ‘meat’ and ‘beef’ from labels of plant-based foods

The fake fake food labelling has to stop.
Can you imagine the uproar if some vegan accidentally ate meat because it was listed as a vegetable. They would get so salty they would probably have an annurism due in part to their incomplete diet.

And there is nothing worse than grabbing a bit to eat at a service station only to realise Upon the first bite that it’s not actually meat you are eating but some disgusting plant based substitute.

Food producers, just call a spade a spade and stop fucking with the consumer

This is what needs to stop.
Why does it need to have a picture of a chicken? And the word chicken in huge lettering, when it’s not chicken. No way can you ever convince me this isn’t designed to fool consumers and basically lie to people in order to increase profit.
It’s all well and good saying “read the label properly” but in reality when people are doing their weekly shop they don’t have time to read a load of shit on a packet.
This is the essence of labelling, to make it easier for the consumer to select what they want, not force them to stand in the aisle reading over the contents of everything.

iu

The Texas GOP decided their two top priorities were to establish either a protect the word "beef" act or a protect Dr. Seuss act and then chose the most vitally important of the two.

Ok. Do you know there has been roughly 3,500 house bills proposed in the 2020-2021 legislative season in Tx? Just because the media reported HB 316 and Dr. Seuss nonsense doesn't actually make it their top priority. There is now 15 pages of jackasses arguing about this bs along political lines. This is what is called distraction. But enjoy bickering with people over a nothing burger (meat free of course).

No man it's Beyond Beef so anyone should know it's not beef. Looks healthy too, low fat, solid amount of proteins. You should try it!
If you have a good product, you don't need fasle advertising like the "Beyond Beef" offering clearly has.

Boy, a lotta people are really mad at this, even though they repeatedly claim that the distinction doesn't matter...

That one is the closest to being misleading. It's still quite clearly marketed as "Beyond" so you've got to be a mildly retarded republican to be mislead, or even think this needs legislation.

And perhaps the marketing department knew the Cali consumer isn't quite as dumb as your average texan...
StoreLocator_Sandy_Hero_US_414x660_V2-1.jpg

Desperately grasping at straws.....

I realize you think you have a point here but you are being willfully obtuse to something that is completely reasonable.

A package of beyond beef looks identical to a package of ground beef. Like you don't even have to be an immigrant to confuse it for meat. The entire point of beyond beef is to visually sell it as muscle meat

Like are you honestly going to sit there with a straight face and try to convince everyone that this couldn't possibly ever be confused for beef?
BYM002.jpg

You are trying way too hard to sell the idea that immigrant's are so vastly different to the point where they could never confuse a product with beef when it's entire presentation was designed with that sole fact in mind and to be honest it's weird.

Let's take a rural Texan such as yourself as an example. Let's say you take a trip to the middle East somewhere and you go to the supermarket to grab some stuff including meat. You are honestly telling me that there is no reality where you could potentially confuse the picture above for a package of ground beef? Especially when all the writing on the package is in fucking Arabic? C'mon home boy let's not not kid ourselves.
Lol it clearly states that it is plant based on there. Since they are banning the use of the word “beef”, I don’t see how your argument that “if it were in a foreign language” applies. You wouldn’t be reading the word beef in the first place.

Then why not put a bunch of plant stuff on a package and say plant tasting stuff but actually have meat on the packaging....

Then why not have Veggie as the prominent part of their marketing? ... listen i don't really care much as I dont eat this frozen crap...but I can def see the marketing angle...
You’re really focusing on one product in particular though that is maybe a little questionable. I say maybe because it says “plant based” at the bottoms and it isn’t exactly in fine print.

I agree that they should clearly label it as plant based on the packaging. The reality is that this is not what this ban is about. It’s about them protecting corporate interest by making it hard for these plant based meats to advertise what they are. There is imitation sausage, chicken, beef, etc. those words let people lookin go for these replacements know which one is which with no confusion.

Lol it clearly states that it is plant based on there. Since they are banning the use of the word “beef”, I don’t see how your argument that “if it were in a foreign language” applies. You wouldn’t be reading the word beef in the first place.
Fuck me you guys seriously need to start reading the preceding comments rather than awkwardly injecting yourself into the conversation.

Someone said that product above could never be confused for meat. That's his argument. Do you agree? A yes or no will suffice.

Fuck me you guys seriously need to start reading the preceding comments rather than awkwardly injecting yourself into the conversation.

Someone said that product above could never be confused for meat. That's his argument. Do you agree? A yes or no will suffice.
If you're referring to me, that's not what I was saying. It might be confused at a glance, but it's not a product that would trick people in to buying it repeatedly.

You say the law isn't even necessary so it's weird to be so committed to this argument, you've had nothing but "Well it looks similar". I've given multiple reasons why it's not something that people would mistakenly buy out of confusion and you've had basically nothing. Doesn't even matter because your argument of it looking similar has nothing to do with the law which is all about words on the package.

Last edited:
If you're referring to me, that's not what I was saying. It might be confused at a glance, but it's not a product that would trick people in to buying it repeatedly.

You say the law isn't even necessary so it's weird to be so committed to this argument, you've had nothing but "Well it looks similar". I've given multiple reasons why it's not something that people would mistakenly buy out of confusion and you've had basically nothing. Doesn't even matter because your argument of it looking similar has nothing to do with the law which is all about words on the package.

You are now changing your original stance which was that there would be a "zero percent chance" anyone would confuse a product intended to look like meat with meat. This is simple. Does it look like meat? Rhetorical question, yes it does and you are now admitting that it could happen. So clearly I got through to you somehow. Like I know you think your argument is super sophisticated bringing in class distinctions and what not but that doesn't really change the fact that all these things look and are presented exactly like meat.

Also I don't give the law much thought because shit happens and we do tend to confuse things all the time. I would be willing to wager even you have gone into a store and mistakenly made a purchase that wasn't for what you originally intended on getting. This isn't controversial stuff here. I would rather not get into the habit of legislating everything with this fact in mind because as you rightfully point out it's not like people are being duped en masse. But it does happen and if it does happen it's probably going to happen with these products that have logos with the animals they are imitating and the words CHICKEN or BEEF boldly written on the packaging.

Even though I don't think the law is NECESSARY there is still SOME utility to it for those who can read.

You are now changing your original stance which was that there would be a "zero percent chance" anyone would confuse a product intended to look like meat with meat. This is simple. Does it look like meat? Rhetorical question, yes it does and you are now admitting that it could happen. So clearly I got through to you somehow. Like I know you think your argument is super sophisticated bringing in class distinctions and what not but that doesn't really change the fact that all these things look and are presented exactly like meat.

Also I don't give the law much thought because shit happens and we do tend to confuse things all the time. I would be willing to wager even you have gone into a store and mistakenly made a purchase that wasn't for what you originally intended on getting. This isn't controversial stuff here. I would rather not get into the habit of legislating everything with this fact in mind because as you rightfully point out it's not like people are being duped en masse. But it does happen and if it does happen it's probably going to happen with these products that have logos with the animals they are imitating and the words CHICKEN or BEEF boldly written on the packaging.

Even though I don't think the law is NECESSARY there is still SOME utility to it for those who can read.
I said zero chance of a poor family doing it. I mean you might be able to pull one example out of a million, that's less than 1%. You're the one who said you were torn about the law and then later claimed you didn't even think it was necessary.

It makes even less sense that the law is for those who can read because it says it's plant-based. It's a new market that's trying to establish itself as a substitute for meat, not trick people in to thinking it is meat. Because that defeats the entire purpose, it's targeted to people who don't want to eat meat.

I haven't seen every vegan packaged meat alternative in the world, so there could be a few exceptions, but literally every single one I have seen is clearly labeled as "Plant Based" on the front of the package, and the "vegan" symbol somewhere near the ingredients.

They're very clearly labeled, and someone decided it was worth time and effort to make sure they're not labeled as "meat". It's both funny AND useless.
@Hadron has already posted numerous products from one company ITT that are clearly intended to misrepresent themselves as meat. I don't care if there is a "plant-based protein" in fine print at the bottom.

The very fact you're in this thread and raging is proof these legislators are honing in on the right thing. The only reason you're outraged about this is because you're a vegetarian who wants to confuse people into consuming vegetables rather than meat. If you were more cunning you'd feign disinterest.

@Hadron has already posted numerous products from one company ITT that are clearly intended to misrepresent themselves as meat. I don't care if there is a "plant-based protein" in fine print at the bottom.

The very fact you're in this thread and raging is proof these legislators are honing in on the right thing. The only reason you're outraged about this is because you're a vegetarian who wants to confuse people into consuming vegetables rather than meat. If you were more cunning you'd feign disinterest.

I'm hardly raging, bud. Nowhere near outrage.

Also, I'm vegan, not vegetarian.

They're representing themselves as a meat substitute.

It would be a garbage scheme. They're paying more to produce the product than they would with real meat, they're marketing directly to 4% of the country in people who don't eat meat, and you think the whole point is to trick people in to accidentally buying the product when it's even more expensive than regular meat?

Vegans are vegetarians. Also, I know, but you hadn't told anybody in a whole two pages of posts, so I'm not surprised you felt the need to repeat it.

Relevant to the topic at hand, no?

Anyway I thought we agreed not to talk to each other. I don't have the luxury of putting you on ignore because of your blue name, so do me a favor and pretend I don't exist? Okay, babygirl?

Back