Law Texas approves bill banning ‘meat’ and ‘beef’ from labels of plant-based foods

if you mistake this for actual beef you might be a republican.
eed76c0e-a98c-43ab-968f-b4f36f7f69cd-Beyond_Beefy_Crumbles.png

Then why not put a bunch of plant stuff on a package and say plant tasting stuff but actually have meat on the packaging....
The "beef" marketing is specifically targeting people who want beef/burgers but want to cut down their red meat intake.

It doesn't target vegans who would much prefer to leave behind terminology that associates food with animals. Both Impossible and Beyond have been very specific about their market not being vegans.

Then why not have Veggie as the prominent part of their marketing? ... listen i don't really care much as I dont eat this frozen crap...but I can def see the marketing angle...

Then why not put a bunch of plant stuff on a package and say plant tasting stuff but actually have meat on the packaging....

Then why not have Veggie as the prominent part of their marketing? ... listen i don't really care much as I dont eat this frozen crap...but I can def see the marketing angle...

Nobody is excited about eating vegetables. The makers use meat-ish pictures because vegetarians want dishes that taste as good as the stuff they used to eat, but without meat. Images provide the fantasy. It's really good ol' capialism.

We take our BBQ, beef, chicken & pork very seriously here. Out of state romos wouldn't understand. Don't need fake ass meats trying to be passed off as legit.

I'm saying poor because those would be the most vulnerable to "deceptive" packaging. If they're rich, either they know enough English to understand, aren't losing anything by buying a meat substitute once, or would be buying some primo meat to begin with.

You're trying to use immigrants as justification, I'm just saying that's a shitty argument. You can try to read that as me being racist if it makes you feel better.

So to you immigrants are either Uber rich or poor. Did you grow up in the suburbs by any chance?

You also clearly didn't read my previous posts. It's not an "argument" for the law. I don't even think it's necessary.

But if you think that an immigrant who hardly knows the language couldn't confuse something that looks identical to meat with meat I have a bridge to sell you.

So to you immigrants are either Uber rich or poor. Did you grow up in the suburbs by any chance?

You also clearly didn't read my previous posts. It's not an "argument" for the law. I don't even think it's necessary.

But if you think that an immigrant who hardly knows the language couldn't confuse something that looks identical to meat with meat I have a bridge to sell you.
I spent over 20 years in rural Texas, live in Dallas now. There's going to be less in the middle when it comes to immigrants, they usually either left a rough situation and are happy for any stable work or are high skilled and came to make real good money here. Also middle class is still not likely to buy it and isn't going to be hurt if they do.

I just can't think of a situation where this is needed. The price is more expensive than normal meat and the taste is purposely bland to blend in. No one is buying it more than once unless they really like it for some reason, and someone like that probably isn't desperate for meat.

I don't know why you're reaching with this shitty argument if you don't even believe in the law. As a Texan, it's annoying seeing my government waste their time virtue signaling because they got duped by fake news and looked stupid.

Nobody is excited about eating vegetables. The makers use meat-ish pictures because vegetarians want dishes that taste as good as the stuff they used to eat, but without meat. Images provide the fantasy. It's really good ol' capialism.

Agreed

I don't know why you're reaching with this shitty argument if you don't even believe in the law. As a Texan, it's annoying seeing my government waste their time virtue signaling because they got duped by fake news and looked stupid.

I'm not sure what you're having a difficult time with here. My discussion with the other poster was that there was a little utility in regards to the law and I brought up the immigrant example. If you have spent any considerable time around immigrants you would know that there is nothing strange about them mistakenly buying items they didn't intend on purchasing. It's literally apart of the experience hence me asking you if you grew up in the suburbs.

You need to stop A) injecting class distinctions into the equation because you are obfuscating the shit out of the point. Immigrant in this sense is someone who can't read the fucking label. And B) Thinking I'm advocating for the law when I've clearly said it doesn't seem necessary multiple times.

My point: Someone could EASILY confuse a product that looks identical to meat with meat. Especially immigrants. Not sure why you are having a hard time processing this point.

It actually doesn't taste like anything. It's purely the look and texture, the taste is purposefully absent. The idea is it's the other stuff that has the bulk of the taste anyways, so your brain doesn't recognize it's fake because it doesn't pick up on a taste and if feels like meat.

I'm not sure what you're having a difficult time with here. My discussion with the other poster was that there was a little utility in regards to the law and I brought up the immigrant example. If you have spent any considerable time around immigrants you would know that there is nothing strange about them mistakenly buying items they didn't intend on purchasing. It's literally apart of the experience hence me asking you if you grew up in the suburbs.

You need to stop A) injecting class distinctions into the equation because you are obfuscating the shit out of the point. Immigrant in this sense is someone who can't read the fucking label. And B) Thinking I'm advocating for the law when I've clearly said it doesn't seem necessary multiple times.

My point: Someone could EASILY confuse a product that looks identical to meat with meat. Especially immigrants. Not sure why you are having a hard time processing this point.
And I'm saying that's a bad point. They're not paying more for a product, especially a product with packaging like that. If immigrants are buying meat, they're going to buy meat they can see. Most non-English speaking countries traditionally have people cooking their own food, not buying ultra processed shit that's packaged like candy.

I'm not saying they're not buying the wrong products, but this particularly case is highly unlikely.

Oh no, the poster with 1.2k likes doesn't me.

What's a mob to a king?

shit i was a good bit drunk when i was posting that i wasnt even looking for a confrontation. comin around now though i just need more sleep

And I'm saying that's a bad point. They're not paying more for a product, especially a product with packaging like that. If immigrants are buying meat, they're going to buy meat they can see. Most non-English speaking countries traditionally have people cooking their own food, not buying ultra processed shit that's packaged like candy.

I'm not saying they're not buying the wrong products, but this particularly case is highly unlikely.
I realize you think you have a point here but you are being willfully obtuse to something that is completely reasonable.

A package of beyond beef looks identical to a package of ground beef. Like you don't even have to be an immigrant to confuse it for meat. The entire point of beyond beef is to visually sell it as muscle meat

Like are you honestly going to sit there with a straight face and try to convince everyone that this couldn't possibly ever be confused for beef?
BYM002.jpg

You are trying way too hard to sell the idea that immigrant's are so vastly different to the point where they could never confuse a product with beef when it's entire presentation was designed with that sole fact in mind and to be honest it's weird.

Let's take a rural Texan such as yourself as an example. Let's say you take a trip to the middle East somewhere and you go to the supermarket to grab some stuff including meat. You are honestly telling me that there is no reality where you could potentially confuse the picture above for a package of ground beef? Especially when all the writing on the package is in fucking Arabic? C'mon home boy let's not not kid ourselves.

LMAO wonder how they're going to market a product that can only be described as a meat substitute without using the word "meat". A law that's ostensibly thought to be stupid and pointless, but very effectively will impact the sales of these types of products negatively. Without a doubt funded heavily by livestock/meat lobby.

shit i was a good bit drunk when i was posting that i wasnt even looking for a confrontation. comin around now though i just need more sleep

Its ok. Whenever I am off yellow cards in 3 years, I'll give you some likes to pump those numbers up. Then we can shit on @HomeCheese together.

Only idiot republican Texans would create legislation against the cabal of vegans hellbent on tricking Texans into eat something *checks notes* healthy And better for the environment. The horror!

tenor.gif

There is nothing healthy about it. Its vegetable oil and artificial additives.

You seem upset about being provided with new information. There's a lot of that going around.

Fruits and nuts have meat. That's the definition. I find it insane that you're upset about this.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/meat

Don't be one of those people who gets self-righteous about defining things accurately and then bury your head in the sand when presented with a definition that you don't like.

Texas is pretty foolish here by trying to strip the word "meat" of one of its older definitions.

Precise definitions are only important if we are talking about what an “assault” rifle is or what constitutes a a “mass shooting.”

There is no doubt that immigrant's purchase wrong shit all the time so pictures for them are the safest bet and these vegan products are the worst offenders when it comes to misdirection. They have sausages, burgers, ground "meat". They literally market their products as meat alternatives. Also beyond beef uses an image of a cow. It would be incredibly easy for an immigrant to confuse that with a pack of ground beef.

And having Spanish on the labels is helpful for people who can read it I guess but is rather useless for the rest of us.

Like do you honestly believe that seeing the words "plant based" matter when you can't read it and all you see is a picture of a cow and a pack of what seems to be ground beef especially when it says beef right on it?

Th Orange Fanta bottle

I realize you think you have a point here but you are being willfully obtuse to something that is completely reasonable.

A package of beyond beef looks identical to a package of ground beef. Like you don't even have to be an immigrant to confuse it for meat. The entire point of beyond beef is to visually sell it as muscle meat

Like are you honestly going to sit there with a straight face and try to convince everyone that this couldn't possibly ever be confused for beef?
BYM002.jpg

You are trying way too hard to sell the idea that immigrant's are so vastly different to the point where they could never confuse a product with beef when it's entire presentation was designed with that sole fact in mind and to be honest it's weird.

Let's take a rural Texan such as yourself as an example. Let's say you take a trip to the middle East somewhere and you go to the supermarket to grab some stuff including meat. You are honestly telling me that there is no reality where you could potentially confuse the picture above for a package of ground beef? Especially when all the writing on the package is in fucking Arabic? C'mon home boy let's not not kid ourselves.

Thats false advertising right there

Back