Law Texas approves bill banning ‘meat’ and ‘beef’ from labels of plant-based foods

Peter_Panner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
LAWMAKERS in America’s biggest cattle producing State approved a bill overnight that will ban plant-based food products and foods that do not contain meat from animals from using the terms “meat” or “beef” to describe the food on labels.

The Texas Meat and Imitation Food Act bill is designed to codify “meat” as derived solely from carcases of cows, chickens or other livestock, with no “lab-grown, cell cultured, insect or plant-based food products” included.

The law is intended to prohibit companies from misleading consumers by blocking the words “meat,” “beef,” “chicken,” “pork” or any “common variation” of them from being used on packaging, even if only to claim similar textures, flavors or cooking methods, unless the official definitions are met, according to the Dallas Morning News.

The bill will also keep companies that produce food from insects, plants or cell cultures, not slaughtered animals, from using the label “meat,” “pork,” “poultry” or “beef.”

It wouldn’t prevent the use of “burger” or other non-specific terms.

“This is for those who choose to eat meat, but it’s also for those who choose to not eat meat,” said Texas state Rep. Brad Buckley (R), who also introduced the bill, according to the Austin American-Statesman.
The Texas bill was supported by agriculture groups including the Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, Texas Poultry Federation, Texas Pork Producers Association and other livestock companies.

Read full article here:
https://www.beefcentral.com/news/te...at-and-beef-from-labels-of-plant-based-foods/

KKona-Logo.png

b24

144-1449761_wutface-transparent-kkona-transparent-twitch-emote.jpg

Serves them veggie rabbit people right.
They lying to the people and the people have had enough. Take them damn veggies and shove em.

Bonus for Sherdog,
yall know what that emote is called?

That beyond beefy crumbles packaging was interesting... didnt even know that was a thing... calling something "beefy crumbles" that was plant based... but I guess I dont buy a lot of prepackaged frozen meals to begin with so don't think this has impacted me much anyway...meh. Guess it does make the lines more clearly drawn for consumers.

It's one of those things where, i hate needless regulations. BUT there is a point. There is a new trend with plant based imitation beef that some companies are pushing. Burger King even has the "impossible" burger gimmick right now. It's not actual beef but a substitute for Vegans. we already had tofu burgers for a long time.

What I'm getting at is calling it "beef" when it's not actually meat is false advertising. So yeah, I'd consider this a type of consumer protection law.

It's one of those things where, i hate needless regulations. BUT there is a point. There is a new trend with plant based imitation beef that some companies are pushing. Burger King even has the "impossible" burger gimmick right now. It's not actual beef but a substitute for Vegans. we already had tofu burgers for a long time.

What I'm getting at is calling it "beef" when it's not actually meat is false advertising. So yeah, I'd consider this a type of consumer protection law.
show me one product being sold today that's trying to sell itself as actual beef.

show me one product being sold today that's trying to sell itself as actual beef.
Did you see the one in the link of the OP? Called "Beefy Crumbles" but and even the look of the package looks like beef. I dont think its a total lie as it states at the bottom that its plant based in smaller letters but I was a bit surprised that stuff is out there. Even has a cow on the packaging

Last edited:
1bb34f99-6631-469a-9c22-13069c709023.a8ebb615983ee482b0fef5130392cfef.jpeg

Back of the Beyond Beef Crumbles packaging. That top description of the product makes it sound like this is Ground Beef with some plant protein added in.
No man it's Beyond Beef so anyone should know it's not beef. Looks healthy too, low fat, solid amount of proteins. You should try it!

Back