Testosterone and stuff.

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Ragnar, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Ragnar

Ragnar K1 FAN

Hey guys. Never posted here before.

I am in a job where I need to be alert and strong all the time. I am recovering from a shoulder surgery and looking to recover. Along with that I have always wondered about my testosterone levels (lazy, sluggish etc) and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend. I have read lots of good stuff in here so I am starting here.

2. Ragnar

Ragnar K1 FAN

Also, I will be working out 3 times a week. Always been pretty fit and never had to work out. I'm 40.

3. JSN

JSN Bitch Lasagna

your doctor can measure your test levels. sherdog can not.

4. HAWTRIDDUM

HAWTRIDDUM Gold Belt Platinum Member

Are you looking for supplement or diet advice?

5. Ragnar

Ragnar K1 FAN

Anything really. As many jokes as people make i think there is lots of good info here. Supplement info would be great and I will see my Doc.

6. HAWTRIDDUM

Well, first if you have some concerns that your test levels might be low, you should visit your doctor and get some blood work done. At the age of 40, it might be safe to say your test levels might be low enough to warrant a prescription for testosterone. More than likely they will give you androgel or an injectable long estered test.
    As for diet, I would go with something along the lines of a Paleo diet. There is plenty of info on the web regarding the diet. I noticed my sex drive was much higher on this diet than when I wasn't dieting, and you lose alot of bad weight.
    Make sure you get plenty of protein and zinc, and lots of fruits and steamed veggies, and hit the weights and do cardio at least a few times per week.

7. Ragnar

Ragnar K1 FAN

Great, thanks! I see my doc again in a few weeks. Any supplement that you like or don't like?

8. Ragnar

Ragnar K1 FAN

Looked up the Paleo diet and I like what I see! Except for the fact there seems to be no beer food group!

9. HAWTRIDDUM

I have used my fair share of stuff, but what I have found is stick to the basics. Most of the stuff on the market is crap and hyped fad products that don't do shit.

Stick to the protein, multi-vitamins, glutamine, msm for joint health, and fish oil for heart health.

trueprotein.com is a great place to buy protein and you can customize it anyway you want it, and it is much cheaper that the fancy label crap at the supplement stores. That company is one of the 2 major protein suppliers for the entire industry, so its legit.

The rest of the stuff you can pick up at any reputable health food store.

10. HAWTRIDDUM

There are plenty of studies out there that show Beer/alcohol lowers testosterone levels and spikes estrogen levels. If you drink regularly, this might be a part of your problem.

If you are going to drink, do it in moderation, and probably switch to mixed drinks with diet soda.
    Sacrifices have to be made to get the results you are after.

11. mkoua

mkoua Purple Belt

For a few years, whenever I would start up my annual get back in shape routine for summer, I had great luck using Biotest's Rez-V supp. I had baseline bloodwork done before, and it cut my E levels in half; not so much a big energy gain, but it allowed me to get lean fast and would give me a pretty decent pump. Levels returned to normal after, no bad side effects, no direct messing with my natural T levels, no real change as my E levels came back to normal.

12. Eva4Eva

Eva4Eva Green Belt

You can take Zinc (chelated), which supports testosterone. I take about 100 mg a day. You can also take supplements that lower Estrogen. Vitamin C does this. Check on the interweb for raising testosterone levels and lowering estrogen levels naturally. I take Tribulus Terrestris to boost testosterone. While it's not really proven across the board, I find it works for me, whether it's a placebo effect or not. Just do a lot of reading and you should find the answers.

Saturated fat kickstarts testosterone production. So you can eat peanut butter and put extra virgin olive oil on your salads. Don't eat too much saturated fat though.

Also make sure you get DEEP sleep for 7-8 hours every night. Close your door and make sure no light gets in. Lack of sleep kills testosterone production.

13. CombatCyborg

CombatCyborg Black Belt

I was looking into natural (herbal, mineral, vitamin ingredients) testosterone boosting supplements.

Some of them look pretty good, but I decided I am no way in hell going to drop $50 for a bottle of something like Bioforge or TestoPro, especially not when you basically need to buy two of them to get the ingredients in any great amount.

I do take Vit. D3 because I'm often on night hours and don't get a lot of sunlight. It helps.

You could also try changing the way you train. Lifting heavy stuff causes your body to produce more testosterone. I've found that shorter workouts where I do only heavy exercises and leave the gym in 30-40 minutes feeling like there's a lot of gas left in the tank really boost my sex drive, energy, mood, compared to when I take myself to failure.

14. scottm

scottm Green Belt

15. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

Just go to an HRT clinic and get your blood work done. The best way to get you test levels up is to go on hormone replacement therapy.

16. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

There are a variety of other lifestyle changes and other therapies that should be explored before HRT. Once you go on HRT, you're basically making a decision to go on for life, because once you start, any natural testosterone production is going to stop.

17. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

It will stop while you are on HRT it will resume if you go off HRT. However, if you are currently producing a low amount of test HRT is the only way you are going to raise your test levels. No supplements, herbs, or anything else is going to raise your test by any meaningful amount.

18. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 Blue Belt

Squat heavy!

19. HarryHaller

HarryHaller White Belt

It's quite possible that at your age your test has dropped off. So getting blood work is a good idea. That said, learning to eat healthy and work out consistently need to begin before throwing down supplements which are mostly a waste of money anyway. A clean diet and plenty of squats and deads sounds like a good starting point.

Clomid is sometimes given before HRT. Not exactly a supp or herb though.

20. Ragnar

Ragnar K1 FAN

Lots of great info. Thanks guys.