Economy Tesla threatens moving out of California; is annoyed by pro-lockdown sentiments there.

Cmon now. Elon is blowing smoke. Nobody is moving such a huge factory, including it's employees to another state without some serious consideration. Besides Elon lives in LA and loves CA. Like half of all Tesla's are sold in CA.

This says they contribute $5 billion+ to the California economy.

Not sure why you are always regurgitating conservative propaganda about Tesla receiving subsidies when it seems to be only a small fraction of what the other major automakers are receiving.

Are you fucking kidding me dude?
Musk sits around spewing conservative talking points all day.

And lol @ that thinkpiece.
Not gonna mention where it's from? Oh yeah, TESLA PAID FOR IT.
I wonder why they paid for it? Might have to do with the fact they're the most subsidized company in the state lol. There's literally no other reason for this to get commissioned other than as a lobbying tool for government funds and/or so white knights like you can run in to defend them online.
Guess where they get all the money for all these "direct and indirect contributions to the economy"? From the government and people in the fucking state who bought the majority of their cars and subsidized their balance sheets to allow them to exist lol. And how'd they reward all that loyalty? Went and built their next factory right over the border in fucking Nevada with a huge welfare grant (biggest in state history) and then their next one in China using another sweetheart deal.

I have little problem with a state rewarding its constituency with good jobs and tech advancements. I do have a problem with that being an insane wealth grab by one egomaniac fuckhead owning a plurality of company shares, has a board of directors comprised of his relatives and friends, lies almost weekly, and who then throws a tantrum when his one of his plants gets closed for a month. Boo fucking hooo dude a few less sports cars got made.

Last edited:
Tesla is not with the lefty cult that really favors extended lock-downs almost completely in unison. I have been open minded, and I do not have Gretchen derangement syndrome, but as it becomes clear that "pro-lock-down" becomes a political position more than a thought out rational one, the more I dislike it. Tesla seems to feel the same.
<Dylan>
<36>

I live in Fremont and pass the plant every now and then. Lots of business here that where told to stop working still are same with bars serving drinks and food. City looks the other way. Fremont needs TESLA manufacturing before Tesla it was NUMI toyda and ford then just Toyota. However I’ve known from some times that many business are seeking to relocate to other states. I think Elon will get his way and have workers at 30% and a week later increase

Last edited:
The guy literally sued the actual founders for the right to say he founded Tesla. I've never seen someone who is such a blatant conman get so much praise from the media and masses, and that includes Trump (since Trump has a ton of haters, while Musk somehow doesn't)
He goes on rogan and smokes weed so the woke folk won't suspect him

You guys are blind and stupid.
Grow up. You were literally the first person I saw to start bitching about this. From the very beginning you said it was a media conspiracy and social distancing would kill more people than the virus itself. If there's anyone who has been close minded about this from the beginning, it's you.

Grow up. You were literally the first person I saw to start bitching about this. From the very beginning you said it was a media conspiracy and social distancing would kill more people than the virus itself. If there's anyone who has been close minded about this from the beginning, it's you.
No you saw none of that. I said an economic collapse would kill more people in the long-run. I have not been opposed to my governors lock-down orders too heavily up to this point, although now that I realize it is only a few months we are buying a small amount of (mostly) very ill people, I'm starting to think we need to proceed accordingly.

Last edited:
You stay classy, San Diego.

California Democrat reacts to Tesla lawsuit, pullout plan over coronavirus rules: ‘F--- Elon Musk’

A California Democrat seemed less than upset Saturday night at the news that entrepreneur Elon Musk planned to pull much of his company Tesla – along with an unspecified number of jobs -- out of the state over coronavirus shutdown rules that have stalled the automaker's operations.

Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez of San Diego appeared to be saying something along the lines of “Good riddance” – except she didn’t exactly use those words.

F--- Elon Musk,” was Gonzalez’s brief response on Twitter.

Her message contrasted sharply with those from lawmakers and candidates in Texas and Nevada, where Musk said his company plans to relocate. They seemed pleased with the news that jobs would be coming to their states instead of leaving.

“Texas gets better every day,” U.S. Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Texas, wrote on Twitter, retweeting Musk’s announcement of Tesla’s planned California pullout. “Good conservative principles make good governance, and attract the best and the brightest. The future is happening in Texas.”

In Nevada, Dan Rodimer – a retired professional wrestler running for Congress as a Republican – also welcomed the Tesla news.

“Nevada NEEDS these jobs most of all right now, @elonmusk,” Rodimer wrote. “We would love to have you and Tesla HQ right here in the Battleborn State!”

Earlier Saturday, Musk wrote on Twitter that he planned to move Tesla’s headquarters and “future programs” to Texas and Nevada – adding that the company’s current facility in Fremont, Calif., in the San Francisco Bay area would remain open for some activity “dependent on how Tesla is treated in the future.”

Musk noted for his nearly 34 million Twitter followers that Tesla was “the last carmaker left in CA.” He referred to Tesla’s dispute with Alameda County, where Fremont is located, as “the final straw.”

In its lawsuit, filed Saturday, Tesla referred to the actions of Alameda County as a “power grab.”

“Alameda County’s power grab not only defies the governor’s orders, but offends the federal and California constitution,” the suit claims, according to the Mercury News of San Jose.

In a previous tweet, Musk said Tesla would be filing a lawsuit against Alameda County over the company not being allowed to reopen because of coronavirus-related rules.

“The unelected & ignorant ‘Interim Health Officer’ of Alameda is acting contrary to the Governor, the President, our Constitutional freedoms & just plain common sense,” Musk wrote.

Erica Pan, the Alameda County health officer, had said Friday that Tesla was working with the county, but the company had not yet been cleared to reopen the Fremont facility, even after California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday that manufacturers would be allowed to resume operations, Reuters reported.

Tesla has already restarted its China factory after the pandemic forced it to temporarily close. Musk pointed to that as an example of how the company could reopen responsibly elsewhere.

“Tesla knows far more about what needs to be done to be safe through our Tesla China factory experience than an (unelected) interim junior official in Alameda County,” he tweeted.

Alameda County spokeswoman Neetu Balram issued a statement in response to Tesla’s lawsuit, saying the county’s Public Health Department has been working with Tesla in “a collaborative, good faith effort to develop and implement a safety plan that allows for reopening while protecting the health and well-being of the thousands of employees who travel to and from work at Tesla’s factory," the Mercury News reported.

“The team at Tesla has been responsive to our guidance and recommendations, and we look forward to coming to an agreement on an appropriate safety plan very soon,” the statement added.

The Mercury News report noted that Fremont’s mayor and the Bay Area Council seemed to be siding with Musk in calling for Alameda County to loosen the restrictions on the automaker.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/califo...llout-plan-over-coronavirus-rules-f-elon-musk

And lol @ that thinkpiece.
Not gonna mention where it's from? Oh yeah, TESLA PAID FOR IT.
Tesla commissioning an independent market intelligence company to conduct a study makes the study fake news? If Tesla is paying its California workers billions of dollars each year and putting billions of dollars into pockets of local suppliers, it's hard to understand how one could believe Tesla is not putting money into the local economy.

Might have to do with the fact they're the most subsidized company in the state lol.
I don't know about that, but considering they are the largest manufacturer in California and #2 exporter, that seems possible. I do know that the figure that's frequently thrown around by conservative propagandists includes a big chunk of money that's spread over 20 years and requires tens of billions of dollars of investments from Tesla to take advantage of. Pretty misleading.

people in the fucking state who bought the majority of their cars and subsidized their balance sheets to allow them to exist lol.

Tesla does sell a fair amount of cars to Californians. Not sure what is wrong with that. Would you prefer Californians to send their money out of state, or maybe to a foreign automaker? Would that better help the local economy? Tesla makes amazing products, and some have a lower 5-year cost of ownership than economy cars. Californians are being given an amazing value, 50k+ jobs, and billions put back into the local economy.

Boo fucking hooo dude a few less sports cars got made.
Elon is a go-getter. His company is being put at a disadvantage relative to other automakers for no good reason. An interim pediatrician has decided to shut down Elon's plant after the governor opened the state. Elon's free to bitch on Twitter if he wants. It may work.

Last edited:
The Mercury News report noted that Fremont’s mayor and the Bay Area Council seemed to be siding with Musk in calling for Alameda County to loosen the restrictions on the automaker.
Just as I predicted. You could see this coming from a mile away. Only a matter of time.

Good. Fuck California. The only good things about cali are the weather and the weed. Every other aspect sucks.

almost zero ccw permits in California has me wanting to me to leave CA. criminals have guns here and we are sitting ducks in this situation has robberies going up.

They should move out. CA only exists because if its amazing geography and climate.

I think most of the strange people talking shit about California (instead of Alameda) in this thread don't actually realize who Elon Musk is having a spat with. May be they only read the thread title instead of the news story itself.

It's important to note that California already begun opening up since Friday and allows manufacturing plants to open again with social distancing rules in place.

Tesla announced the reopening of their Fremont plant immediately AFTER CA Governor Newsom made the announcement.

Alameda County (where the Tesla factory is at) then tell Tesla that they can't open, because the county plans to keep the lockdown until the end of the month, and local ordinance supersede the State's guideline, so Tesla is moving out.

Tesla Is Told By Alameda County Its Factory Can’t Reopen Yet
Bloomberg News May 8, 2020

800x-1.jpg

Tesla Inc. was told by the California county that’s home to its lone U.S. auto-assembly plant that it can’t reopen the facility, hours after Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk made plans to do so.

“We have not said that it’s appropriate to move forward,” Erica Pan, Alameda County’s health officer, said of Tesla on Friday during a web conference. The county said in an emailed statement that it informed the company it didn’t meet criteria to reopen.

Tesla aimed to restart the factory Friday afternoon, Musk told staff in an email seen by Bloomberg News. The CEO cited California Governor Gavin Newsom’s announcement earlier that he would let manufacturers in parts of the state resume operations starting Friday.

What Musk didn’t mention in his memo was that Newsom also had said local authorities could remain more restrictive than the state. San Francisco Bay area counties including Alameda said they were leaving in place health orders that extend through the end of May.

Tesla representatives didn’t respond to requests for comment. Valerie Capers Workman, the carmaker’s head of North American human resources, told employees in a separate email that Tesla’s Fremont plant would start operations with 30% of normal headcount per shift. It’s unclear whether that level of staffing would be enough to allow the company to produce cars again.

“Production restart may not be until June,” Dan Levy, a Credit Suisse analyst, cautioned in a note to clients. Tesla shares closed up more than 5% on Friday and have surged 96% this year.

Another reason it’s unclear whether Tesla will be able to produce vehicles -- even if Alameda allows the company to reopen in Fremont -- is that its suppliers in other states aren’t able to operate yet.

In Michigan, Governor Gretchen Whitmer issued a separate announcement Thursday giving manufacturers the green light to reopen beginning May 11. That clears the way for parts suppliers to support General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV’s plans to restart their North American plants on May 18.

Musk’s Cheer

Musk cheered Newson’s announcement in a reply to one of the governor’s Twitter posts on Thursday. But Alameda County said in a statement that its current health order takes precedence over Newsom’s guidance.

“We will continue to work with our community and business leaders to accomplish careful, measured progress that allows us to maintain our gains as we move forward to further reopening and better times ahead,” Alameda said in a joint statement issued by San Francisco Bay area counties and cities.

Tesla isn’t producing any vehicles worldwide after having suspended production at its only other car factory, located on the outskirts of Shanghai, this week. Several workers who were supposed to return to work on Wednesday after China’s five-day Labor Day break were told that their holiday would be extended and they will return as soon as May 9, people familiar with the matter have said.

In a press conference Monday, Newsom said the state isn’t telling local governments that feel it’s too soon to reopen to modify their orders.

“For example, the Bay Area, Northern California, they have guidelines where they are a little more strict than these guidelines,” he said. “If they choose not to come into compliance with the state guidelines, they have that right.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ant-as-soon-as-friday-musk-says?sref=M8H6LjUF

Outbreak poll: Most Americans favor continued lockdow. Only 12% of Americans say the measures where they live go too far

Only 12% of Americans say the measures where they live go too far. About twice as many people, 26%, believe the limits don’t go far enough. The majority of Americans — 61% — feel the steps taken by government officials to prevent infections of COVID-19 in their area are about right.

About 8 in 10 Americans say they support measures that include requiring Americans to stay in their homes and limiting gatherings to 10 people or fewer — numbers that have largely held steady over the past few weeks.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/22/outbreak-poll-most-americans-favor-continued-lockdown/

--
Are most Americans lefty cultists?

People are scared and thinking with their emotions, and scared people demand safety. What the average panicking idiot is thinking is definitely NOT what you should be using as a gauge for a good and strategically-sound decision.

Texas is the move.

Texas needs to impose a large entry tax on people who relocate there from california too
they irony of wanting a red state to impose a large tax.

I'll give Tesla their props, they make the best BEVs on the market right now. I'd love to own one. But the writing is on the wall.

Volkswagon, for example, is a Behemoth that would put Tesla in their back pocket and they have committed to BEVs.
The other giants are starting to take electric vehicles seriously too (except Toyota lol).

I believe Samsung have made huge strides in solid state batteries. Battery tech is going to accelerate and change hugely and Tesla aren't big enough to control it.

VAG is taking BEVs seriously. But their software is shit. They are behind on battery manufacturing as well. Being a legacy manufacturer doesn't make you magic. LoL. BEVs are not ICE vehicles. It is all about software and batteries, and ICE based shit is insanely profitable for legacy auto.

VAG is lucky they were forced into BEV by dieselgate.

You stay classy, San Diego.

California Democrat reacts to Tesla lawsuit, pullout plan over coronavirus rules: ‘F--- Elon Musk’

A California Democrat seemed less than upset Saturday night at the news that entrepreneur Elon Musk planned to pull much of his company Tesla – along with an unspecified number of jobs -- out of the state over coronavirus shutdown rules that have stalled the automaker's operations.

Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez of San Diego appeared to be saying something along the lines of “Good riddance” – except she didn’t exactly use those words.

F--- Elon Musk,” was Gonzalez’s brief response on Twitter.

Her message contrasted sharply with those from lawmakers and candidates in Texas and Nevada, where Musk said his company plans to relocate. They seemed pleased with the news that jobs would be coming to their states instead of leaving.

“Texas gets better every day,” U.S. Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Texas, wrote on Twitter, retweeting Musk’s announcement of Tesla’s planned California pullout. “Good conservative principles make good governance, and attract the best and the brightest. The future is happening in Texas.”

In Nevada, Dan Rodimer – a retired professional wrestler running for Congress as a Republican – also welcomed the Tesla news.

“Nevada NEEDS these jobs most of all right now, @elonmusk,” Rodimer wrote. “We would love to have you and Tesla HQ right here in the Battleborn State!”

Earlier Saturday, Musk wrote on Twitter that he planned to move Tesla’s headquarters and “future programs” to Texas and Nevada – adding that the company’s current facility in Fremont, Calif., in the San Francisco Bay area would remain open for some activity “dependent on how Tesla is treated in the future.”

Musk noted for his nearly 34 million Twitter followers that Tesla was “the last carmaker left in CA.” He referred to Tesla’s dispute with Alameda County, where Fremont is located, as “the final straw.”

In its lawsuit, filed Saturday, Tesla referred to the actions of Alameda County as a “power grab.”

“Alameda County’s power grab not only defies the governor’s orders, but offends the federal and California constitution,” the suit claims, according to the Mercury News of San Jose.

In a previous tweet, Musk said Tesla would be filing a lawsuit against Alameda County over the company not being allowed to reopen because of coronavirus-related rules.

“The unelected & ignorant ‘Interim Health Officer’ of Alameda is acting contrary to the Governor, the President, our Constitutional freedoms & just plain common sense,” Musk wrote.

Erica Pan, the Alameda County health officer, had said Friday that Tesla was working with the county, but the company had not yet been cleared to reopen the Fremont facility, even after California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday that manufacturers would be allowed to resume operations, Reuters reported.

Tesla has already restarted its China factory after the pandemic forced it to temporarily close. Musk pointed to that as an example of how the company could reopen responsibly elsewhere.

“Tesla knows far more about what needs to be done to be safe through our Tesla China factory experience than an (unelected) interim junior official in Alameda County,” he tweeted.

Alameda County spokeswoman Neetu Balram issued a statement in response to Tesla’s lawsuit, saying the county’s Public Health Department has been working with Tesla in “a collaborative, good faith effort to develop and implement a safety plan that allows for reopening while protecting the health and well-being of the thousands of employees who travel to and from work at Tesla’s factory," the Mercury News reported.

“The team at Tesla has been responsive to our guidance and recommendations, and we look forward to coming to an agreement on an appropriate safety plan very soon,” the statement added.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/califo...llout-plan-over-coronavirus-rules-f-elon-musk

LiL, fuck Commiefornia.

People are scared and thinking with their emotions, and scared people demand safety. What the average panicking idiot is thinking is definitely NOT what you should be using as a gauge for a good and strategically-sound decision.
Whether they are thinking emotionally or not is a moot point, the poster I was responding to was saying the pro lock down crowd were lefty cultists. Clearly looking at the polls that isn't so.

Just another charade to sell cars and get random dumb people to worship a conman.
Literally half the cars Tesla sold in America were in Calfornia for a period of a year, and the state has spent billions of dollars on subsidies for the guy. Now he wants to run away and beg for corporate welfare in Texas now that he is trying to sell trucks and sports cars to conservatives since the wealthy neoliberals are now tapped out.

Musk literally is the walking embodiment of the "How do you do fellow ___?" meme. One day he is claiming to save Flint water crisis when begging for government money to build a factory in Detroit. Then he is sending toy Teslas to a UK childrens hospital when trying to get money from the British.
When his stock was tanking from coronavirus he suddenly had all the answers and cures after calling it a "dumb joke" a week earlier.
Now it's "I fucking love freedom; give me money for trucks Texas!"

And it's working like a charm; one of Sherdog's proudest right wingers has taken a sudden interest in the guy and is making threads about it.

Spot on. There's not an earnest bone in that clowns body. He'd have his and you're parents, grandparents die if it meant he'd sell an extra Tesla or two. Just another greedy corporate pig

Tesla commissioning an independent market intelligence company to conduct a study makes the study fake news? If Tesla is paying its California workers billions of dollars each year and putting billions of dollars into pockets of local suppliers, it's hard to understand how one could believe Tesla is not putting money into the local economy.

I don't know about that, but considering they are the largest manufacturer in California and #2 exporter, that seems possible. I do know that the figure that's frequently thrown around by conservative propagandists includes a big chunk of money that's spread over 20 years and requires tens of billions of dollars of investments from Tesla to take advantage of. Pretty misleading.

Tesla does sell a fair amount of cars to Californians. Not sure what is wrong with that. Would you prefer Californians to send their money out of state, or maybe to a foreign automaker? Would that better help the local economy? Tesla makes amazing products, and some have a lower 5-year cost of ownership than economy cars. Californians are being given an amazing value, 50k+ jobs, and billions put back into the local economy.

Elon is a go-getter. His company is being put at a disadvantage relative to other automakers for no good reason. An interim pediatrician has decided to shut down Elon's plant after the governor opened the state. Elon's free to bitch on Twitter if he wants. It may work.
Are you really this retarded dude? I know you're smart. How many times do I need to repeat it:
WHEN YOU IGNORE THE FACT THAT A MAJORITY OF THE PURCHASES AND FUNDING FOR YOUR COMPANY COME FROM WITHIN A STATE USING EXISTING RESOURCES, THE MATH DOES NOT SUPPORT THE NOTION THAT THOSE ITEMS CAN BE THINGS THAT TESLA CLAIMS THEY BROUGHT TO THE STATE. THOSE ARE RESOURCES THAT ALREADY EXIST WITHIN THE STATE.

You can't list out a single real stat. Just "dude look at this marketing powerpoint Tesla made that adds up every single possible cent someone within 3 degrees of separation eventually earned or spent! It's 'market research'" It's literally a trickle-down economics argument at best, with an added dash of subsidy and cronyism not listed.
Oh and the fact that you completely ignore what I was saying which is that I don't mind when a state bankrolls new tech and state infrastructure, but that this case and the case study totally overlook corporate governance and profit-sharing and the very specific reasons why Tesla and specifically Elon Musk are complete shitstain greedy scam-artists. Having amassed tens of billions in personal paper valuation for running a company that has yet to turn any actual profit while being this level of douchebag is totally insane to anyone outside of protofascist weirdos once you think about it.

Still gonna ignore how they already fucked the state over and left the state that kept them alive out of all their expansion plans?
I see you're ready to die on this hill for your fake god like a bunch of other odds nerds who would rather cling to some fantasy idea that sports cars are saving the world, and what I can only assume will now be a new line of trumptard recruits who just got the dogwhistle.

Last edited:
Back