Tesla stock is going crazy

1/15 18.63% shares floats shorted. Short squeeze had to be a big factor....but, yeah, people buying the headline
There WAS a short squeeze, predicated off seeing the media suck a massive load of Tesla semen over a rather expected end of quarter revenue and guidance figure. Smart traders/investors who were short closed those positions and bought short-term calls or shares for the mania that was in the tea leaves based on the media's fanfare.

I'm pretty new into the stock game. Is there anything comparable in our lifetimes to this kind of rapid growth?

time to celebrate
giphy.gif

WTF still shooting up!

Well the US Dollar was backed by gold. Now it's backed solely off of the Federal Reserve. Which at least is something. Bitcoin has nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care that Bitcoin exists and I have no problem with people buying and selling it. It is after all their money and they are free to spend it how they choose. But the idea that there's something that will keep it from being becoming worthless overnight is laughable.
Very true. However everything that is monetary is capable of falling over night. Nothing is fully secure at all.

Tesla is the only stock I’ve ever owned. Bought some after Rogan/joint scandal and sold after 2018 Q3 production numbers were officially released at nice profit. I was tempted to hold because I believe in Musk’s ability to pull the rabbit out of a hat, but owning stock seemed too stressful.

Aaand crashed 7% in like 2 minutes lol

https://www.barrons.com/articles/tesla-stock-price-jumped-20-percent-why-it-is-soaring-51580820647

A snip:

"The biggest fundamental news anyone could point to Monday was an earnings report from Tesla battery partner Panasonic (6752.Japan). Management talked about profits from a North American battery facility and improving utilization. Profits on batteries for Panasonic is a sign battery costs are falling. It is good news because it means that everyone in the electric-vehicle value chain can make money, including Tesla.

But whether it’s 20% worth of good news is still debatable. After all, that works out to about $25 billion in Tesla market value.

That leads to the inevitable short-squeeze explanation for the violent stock rally. Tesla shares are more heavily shorted than average, meaning lots of bearish investors have borrowed stock and sold it, betting on price declines. If the price falls, they can buy shares back at a lower price, replace the borrowed stock, and pocket the price difference.

The shorts, in the case of Tesla, are getting slaughtered. Short interest data provider S3 Analytics notes bears have been covering short bets lately, but Tesla remains one of the most heavily shorted stocks in the market. The shorts lost more $2.5 billion on Monday alone. Year-to-date losses exceed $8 billion.

The biggest risk traders see is the parabolic move in Tesla’s share price. Traders prefer stable, consistent gains. And when stocks get far away from their moving averages, traders start to worry. Stocks, of course, go up and down. And moving averages are levels where stocks often pause when rallying off lows, or dropping from highs. Tesla’s 50-day moving average is about $450 a share. It is unusual when a stock is about 100% higher than its 50-day moving average. That makes traders nervous.

On Tuesday morning, New Street Research analyst Pierre Ferragu lowered his rating for Tesla to the equivalent of Hold from Buy. His target price for shares, the highest on the Street, is $800. He’s a longtime bull and believes in Tesla’s technological lead in electric-vehicle production. Still, his new found conservatism couldn’t derail the stock rally."

Their profit was derived almost entirely of tax credits for purchase rebates for EV subsidies PLUS carbon credits they sold to other autodealers.
If/when those subsidies dry up and other companies aren't dying to buy carbon credits (to avoid fines from the EU for making too few EVs), these pure-profit revenue streams will slow.

Do you have a source for any of this? I researched a bit and can't find anything that supports that. Only stuff like this:

https://fortune.com/2019/10/24/tesla-profit-from-less-revenue/

I'm pretty new into the stock game. Is there anything comparable in our lifetimes to this kind of rapid growth?

Pretty much any internet/tech company back in the 90s during the dotcom boom. Then it was biotechs. Then maybe 10 years ago or so it was oil & gas companies getting into shale oil & gas exploration & drilling. Every business cycle or so, there's a new sector that gets a ton of "hot money" and rockets up with exponential gains. It generally doesn't end well.

I probably should have gotten into stocks like in 2005 I missed so many opportunities to make a buttload of cash.

I probably should have gotten into stocks like in 2005 I missed so many opportunities to make a buttload of cash.

There's a saying amongst those who play the market: It's better to be out and wishing you were in than to be in and wishing you were out

I know a lot of folks who jumped in around 2006-2007 and got slaughtered a couple years later when the market went tits up. When the market goes lock limit down and you can't sell & get out even if you want to, well, that's when shit gets real.

Looks like Tesla stock is the new bitcoin.

Huh? BoA was about $4 after the crash. Now it's about $34... something like 900 to 1000%.

Tesla was $20 and now it's $750... that's like 3750%. Not even close.

Math isn't the strong suit for most sherdoggers :/

Thanks to science we can calculate the theoretical energy density of any battery chemistry, we know which materials we need to stuff into a cell if we want say, twice the storage capacity of lithium-ions. There's folks working on these things in various research labs. Tesla ain't one of them. Tesla's a great PR and marketing company, but they don't have the fundamental research and knowledge base to execute their plans. They don't have the equivalent of say, a Western Electric or Bell Labs to carry out research and make shit happen.

Did you mean Westinghouse?

I pretty much agree with you. Anyone factoring into valuation the idea that Tesla will lead in battery tech, is absolutely crazy. This is a competitive market with massive amount of resources and groups working on new innovation. You'd have to be crazy to assume Tesla will own the best tech five years from now.

Damnit - a co-worker told me. they're not worth much or making money. Bad investment (about 2yrs ago)

Me right now

EL7XMiCXYAAQLdV.jpg

Me tomorrow when I see him

BlaringDirtyDodobird-size_restricted.gif

Back