1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

terribly confused

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Kyuktooki, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Kyuktooki

Kyuktooki Blue Belt

I was at American Kickboxing Academy, where Dave Camarillo teaches, and I remember countering a brabo choke the way my first instructor taught us to counter all head and arm triangle chokes which is to put the arm we are getting choked with under our knee and hug our knee so that the choke can't get tight enough. When I did this the dude all the sudden jumped to the other side of me from where one would normally choke with a brabo and I could not tap fast enough. I can't figure out what, exactly, he did.

2. Uncle Skippy

Uncle Skippy White Belt

The Brabo isn't finished by him pressing/smashing your top shoulder down into your neck from the top. It is finished by him pulling his arm up into your neck from the bottom. When he jumped over, he gained a LOT leverage to really pull that bottom arm up into your neck to finish the choke. That is why the hand-between-the-knees 'defense' is really a stall: you aren't addressing the primary threat.

Putting your hand down between your legs only delays/stalls. You have to move yourself to try to take away his leverage point and angle.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010