Terrible Tim Teaches the Art of Rubber Necking

Definitely seems like a lost art nowadays however I see Canelo rubberneck a lot when he sees a right hand coming. Very useful to take power off a shot or make it miss completely, altho I see why judges could be tricked by it. Sneaky.. Thanks for the tutorial!

Definitely seems like a lost art nowadays however I see Canelo rubberneck a lot when he sees a right hand coming. Very useful to take power off a shot or make it miss completely, altho I see why judges could be tricked by it. Sneaky.. Thanks for the tutorial!

Canelo does it with all kind of punches.
Especially when you call him motherfucker... Did it recently when Caleb Plant threw a left hook at him during the press conference altercation.

Especially when you call him motherfucker... Did it recently when Caleb Plant threw a left hook at him during the press conference altercation.
Ah yeah, he rubbernecked hard after the motherfucker comment. He's got slower feet but his upper body/head movement has always been on an elite level. Even when he was a kid he had good slips and shit. Tim's right tho other than Canelo it's hard to think of many guys who are adept at the rubberneck nowadays.

Yeah Canelo is the only one that springs to mind. I thought it was interesting that Tim thought he lost the fight against Holmes due to the judges scoring against his rubber necking. That is something I don't think Canelo needs to worry about. It does make it hard to score the fight though because it's hard to differentiate between a shot that flips an opponents head and one where the defender is actually rolling with the shot.

You see Fury use this a bit- he generally does it when he's against the ropes and maybe doesn't have the room for other footwork based defence and doesn't want to turtle up.

Yeah Canelo is the only one that springs to mind. I thought it was interesting that Tim thought he lost the fight against Holmes due to the judges scoring against his rubber necking. That is something I don't think Canelo needs to worry about. It does make it hard to score the fight though because it's hard to differentiate between a shot that flips an opponents head and one where the defender is actually rolling with the shot.
Golovkin does it on occasion too

Cool video, champ! Indeed, the old-timers called it “rubbernecking” in boxing circles. B-Hop still uses this term today to refer to riding punches (in technical terms, executing the head roll technique). As others have pointed out, out of all the current active fighters today, Canelo makes use of it the most in his fights. Sometimes he comes back with counters off the head roll, other times he doesn't. It's very obvious when he uses this technique but I suspect this is done deliberately by him as he doesn't want the judges thinking he's actually getting hit clean (which you also suspect may have been the problem in your fight with Holmes).

The technique is sometimes even used in MMA. Anderson Silva, for example, often used it during his lengthy reign as UFC Middleweight champ. Their punching patterns are highly predictable in MMA, usually alternating their hands from left to right or vice versa, so riding shots is even easier than it would be in boxing. Since boxers often double or even triple up with the same hand it makes reads more challenging which are obviously a prerequisite for riding shots. I like when fighters perform it subtly and come back with hard pinpoint counters to the head & body.

Here is Tyson Fury riding Wladimir Klitschko's right hand.
3rany7.gif

Fury-Klitschko-head-roll-2.gif

3raoqj.gif

Fury-Klitschko-head-roll.gif

I love the making them pay aspect of this technique, coming back with something of your own. Glad we got examples of modern day fighters using this to effect, but would guys say this technique was something more commonplace and a "standard" that most in the rankings practiced in prior eras (80s, 70s, 60s, etc)?

Did Tim answer the thread he started on the one thing he and Holmes learned from Ali? I can not find that thread anymore. If possible Tim, it would be great if you could touch on that in a video. I am interested.

Back