News Terrence Crawford: “They don’t pay MMA [fighters] enough, I’m sorry.”

Let's put it like this mid level and low level boxers are just as bad if not worse off than mid to low level mma fighter. That being said, the guys at the top have more bargaining power and get paid more. UFC /MMA has been mainstream for maybe 10 years now. Boxing has been popular since the 1800s lol

I love how people complain that fighters don't get paid enough and pirate the events simultaneously. Hypocrisy at it's finest. God Bless America.

Not really all of those extra profits aren't going to the fighters, it goes to the owner's wallet.

Yeah but Australian internet is so slow, I only just got Rick Rolled

giphy.gif

I think Spence could be up there, he just needs another win. Assassinating Mikey isnt going to leap frog anybody
That's the thing. The fighters are scared of Spence. Mikey at least had the balls to move up and challenge him. Spence wants all the smoke from everyone, including Crawford.

Bud is correct. Dana in particular is a greedy asshat.

Im amazed fighters haven't unionized by now.

A lot of professions would be much better off if they unionized but won't. To a large degree, people are indoctrinated into an anti-union slant even though unions would help them.

I've seen it in my line of work. I can do low 6 figures pretty easily, if we had pro sports style revenue sharing, I could easily have done over a million a few times.

That's the thing. The fighters are scared of Spence. Mikey at least had the balls to move up and challenge him. Spence wants all the smoke from everyone, including Crawford.
I would probably pick Spence over Crawford

That's the fight

That is one of the main reasons they got billions for the UFC when they showed how little they spend on fighters it was sold asap. Imagine WME coming in expecting to see a a 40~45 % share only to find they give out something like 15% to the fighters.. SOLD.

Conor could have made 100 million if his last PPV of 2.4 mill buys was done in boxing with one of those promoters instead of MMA with UFC/Dana.

It never ceases to amaze me that boxers I have never heard of somehow make much more money than MMA fighters .

If you don't follow boxing its unlikely you'd have heard of him. Then again, if you don't follow MMA its unlikely you'd have heard of any MMA fighter (most people haven't even heard of McGregor -- go to the local mall and ask people and random if you doubt this).

For that matter, there are thousands of athletes in the world playing various sports making millions a year that only people who follow their sport would have heard of. Taking a look at the average salaries in the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL you get numbers of over a million a year. I doubt many people could name even a tenth of all those sport millionaires.

I would probably pick Spence over Crawford

That's the fight
Sad thing is that fight may never happen, or at least when it should. It comes down to the battle of the promoters. I think Arum is trying to protect Bud as long as he can honestly.

why? MMA is not as popular as you think. the only time casuals watch is when Conor or MAYBE Jon Jones fights

here on Sherdog, the UG, reddit, we are a in a bubble and act like MMA is a bigger deal than it is
tenor (69).gif

Why is this in UFC forum?

It’s more of an MMA topic than a Boxing topic.

Just to be clear: the topic is ‘low pay in MMA’, not ‘why Crawford didn’t choose MMA’.

but it's not like he makes much more than the top mma earners. conor makes more.

of course, relative to revenue mma guys make less. but they depend on the promotion...

Thing is, how many MMA fighters ever get to that high money level and how do they do it? Boxers seem to get more early and based on skill more than ability to hype. It's a safer bet.

At least entry level MMA pays better.. 1k vs 12k or whats the minimum now.. it was too much bad press so they upped that base pay.

But boy o boy that Reebok deal destroyed the financials of the fighters.

Not just that, but Mikey was pretty well regarded and IIRC undefeated. beating him so easily has to move Spence up.

I love how people complain that fighters don't get paid enough and pirate the events simultaneously. Hypocrisy at it's finest. God Bless America.

The money people would spend on PPV's wouldn't be going into the pockets of the fighters. UFC's bottom line is very strong lol, they are extremely profitable in no small part because they take advantage of the sport being so new, thus most fighters, especially newcomers, don't understand their value. You'll even hear veteran fighters put down younger guys who turn down fights/hold out for better financial opportunities. That's how backwards and immature the mentality is in the sport. It'll change, but in the meantime fighters will remain undervalued and underpaid.

Back