1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Terence Crawford claims Bob Arum’s ‘revolting racial bias’ hurt his career

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MMALOPEZ, Jan 12, 2022.

1. StewDogg11 Black Belt

And if you’re good enough/willing to fight anybody it doesn’t even really matter. Don King once said something along the lines of “Evander Holyfield can’t draw flies to a pile of shit” and he still did alright.

MT5 likes this.
  2. MT5 White Belt

Sure, a fighters fame and ability to self promote is but one factor in how you choose to deal with that fighter. But it's reasonable that it be a factor, is all I'm saying.

StewDogg11 likes this.
  3. Cariñito Brown Belt

A promoter that got him on the biggest sporting network in the world, ESPN, where millions watched him.

Bud can always go across the street and work for the black promoter in Al Haymon.
    Hes had many chances too and he hasnt.

People dont want to shell money to watch him. Hes not an interesting guy.

Compare him to Errol Spence Jr.
    Both have had 3 ppvs.
    Spence has gotten 1,000,000 buys when adding up all 3.
    Crawfords at a measly 335,000 buys.

Spences three ppvs brought in $75,000,000 in revenue
    Crawfords brought in $23,448,650 in revenue.

That's Arums fault? Crawford does good ratings on ESPN, but people arent paying good money to watch his fights.
    Now if he can get a Spence fight, your looking at 600k+ ppv buys, but the guy just isnt a PPV seller.

StewDogg11 likes this.
  4. brundlefly White Belt

yeah, it is impossible to actually read somebodys mind. and virtually nobody ever admits to being racist. so, a lot of time you are going off of peoples patterns of behavior and coming to a deduction that seems most fitting.

5. Sanserif Purple Belt

It sounds like Crawford is essentially accusing Arum of poorly or badly promoting his career, and argument that is torpedoed by Crawford himself re signing with Arum. In order to bolster his weak card, he accuses Arum of racism as the motivating factor for said poor or bad promotion - something that is very difficult to prove and that isn't even necessary for him to raise in order to sue Arum. Putting aside the question of whether it is true or not which is forbthe court to decide, Crawford probably thought by playing the racism victim card, he can get sympathy form the public and hopefully the court while prejudicing Arum to the same audience. In the current politically correct woke leftist culture that has conquered the mindset of America, it is not unexpected for this to happen.

6. brundlefly White Belt

it wasnt arum who got bud on ESPN. it was BUD!!..by virtue of his incredible talent and winning ways. arum came along for the ride. thats like saying it was jerry krause who got michael jordan into the NBA. Bud has made millions for arum on ESPN. does arum give bud credit for that...no....instead he complains about buds ppv numbers. if you dont have respect for buds talents thats one thing, but at least lets talk reality.

and i hope bud DOES go to haymon or hearn....anybody but arum.

as far as not being an interesting guy, maybe you can elaborate on what you mean by interesting...give specifics because i dont understand your choice of words. what are you looking for in an interesting guy...are you talking about ggg personality or loma personality or canelo rersonality..because i dont see how those guys are more interesting than bud.

7. brundlefly White Belt

if you read the complaint, bud is saying arum made many promises. this is why bud re-signed with him. because he thought arum would at least try and fulfill the promises he made or at least make buds career a top priority. arum did not live up to those promises and as a result, bud lost valuable prime years. this is why bud is suing him. the racism charges are not part of the lawsuit. those are an aside that bud felt he had to get off his chest. bud wasnt just talking about himself either...he was talking about a pattern of behavior by arum through the years involving other fighters.

8. brundlefly White Belt

clearly it depends on the fighter....for example i never saw or heard anybody deriding ggg or loma for their lack of self-promotion

9. Cariñito Brown Belt

No it wasnt. It was Arum and Top Rank.
    And Bud made $6m for a fight that pulled in around $9m in revenue. Arum is losing money on this guy.
    And Canelo is interesting, and comes from the biggest hotbed in the sport. Mexico. From his scuffle with Plant, to getting the crowd pumped up in stopping BJS, to yelling at Andrade to screaming Viva Mexico Cabrones, to being drunk as shit screaming "lets Fuckin Party" at a resort. Hes more animated than Bud could ever be
    GGG and Loma arent really, Loma had a hype machine built behind him due to his amateur days and GGG was on a KO streak and tied Hopkins 20 consecutive defense streak of a Middleweight Title before losing to Canelo. But it took that Canelo fight to really sell ppvs. GGG was selling around what Crawford sells before that, i.e Crawford needs Spence to really sell.
    Loma also doesnt do ppvs. Because they wouldnt sell and they know that. His fight against Lopez did very good ratings. Peaked at almost 3m.
    Crawfords did well too on TV, but that didnt translate to PPVs, and thats why hes upset.
    Ppl dont want to buy that shit. He needs to more animated and not sit there and bumble through an interview and get people wanting to watch his fights.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  10. MT5 White Belt

It's also possible a promoter did just that and it wasn't made public! The only reason we're arguing this is because Crawford brought it up.
    Honestly I don't know how to compare Crawford vs Loma vs GGG in terms of famous-ness. But its entirely possible someone went to Loma or GGG or whoever and said "Hey anything you can do to raise your profile? Do some tv or social media? It'll probably make you more money your next fight and you may be able to get better opponents." And Loma said "No, I'll just let my fighting do the talking. Im not good at all that marketing crud. Frankly if I tried I'd probably just screw things up. If that means I get a smaller paycheck so be it."

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  11. Olenac12 Orange Belt

The good old race card, it never ever gets old.

Till dis dayyeeee!

[​IMG]

what-wut likes this.
  12. WklySportsMemes Black Belt

I read the article to try and see if there was any type of proof or smoking gun.
    This lawyer is pulling a money grab on Bud. This shit has no merit.
    At the end of the day Bud re-upped with Top Rank when the whole world told him not to. At that point he had years of experience with Top Rank & Arum.

Bud is a free agent. Yet no real talks of what name he wants next after the Porter victory.

13. brundlefly White Belt

the mods took away my privileges to reply on this thread. cheers all.

14. MMALOPEZ Steel Belt

15. Mr2urbo Black Belt

How does pbc treat Mexican and other Hispanic fighters??

16. Cariñito Brown Belt

You just replied....

17. JayE Silver Belt

Not going to delve into what is probably a thread with a bunch of people from the heavies and war room jumping over any kind of culture war stuff, but even if Arum's handling of Crawford has been terrible (tough to know how much of that is down to Crawford's team also being ridiculous when it comes to negotiation), this seems like an impossible lawsuit to win. It starts to seem like a more ridiculous claim when Crawford decided to re-up with him after already spending years with him and when it was clear the big fights would be far easier to make with Crawford being a part of any company other than TR. He's not the first fighter who Arum has done nothing for in terms of promotion, but it's hardly just black fighters who have major grievances with Bob over the years, either.

Stormtrooper85 likes this.
  18. zapataxiv Silver Belt

overunder on whose alt/banned acct that is?

19. Cariñito Brown Belt

Who do you think?

20. zapataxiv Silver Belt

IDK you re far more connected than me

but those talking points against Nelo are the same as several haters on here
    that I haven't encountered on the real world