Terence Crawford claims Bob Arum’s ‘revolting racial bias’ hurt his career

You can't force two people to fight. If Spence or Crawford didn't want the fight, then what?

And are you going to answer me? Again, if Crawford wanted to fight Spence, why did he re-sign with Arum? The apparent massive racist?

Arum's response, btw.

Bob Arum emphatically denied Terence Crawford’s contention that his former promoter is a racist in a lawsuit Crawford filed Wednesday in Nevada.

The 90-year-old promoter dismissed Crawford’s lawsuit as “frivolous” and a “malicious extortion attempt” in a statement released to BoxingScene.com on Wednesday afternoon.

“Bud Crawford’s lawsuit against Top Rank is frivolous,” said Arum, a Harvard-educated attorney who began promoting boxing in 1966. “His vile accusations of racism are reckless and indefensible. He knows it, and his lawyer knows it. I have spent my entire working life as a champion of Black boxers, Latino boxers and other boxers of color. I have no doubt the Court will see Crawford’s case for the malicious extortion attempt that it is.”

Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Ray Leonard and Floyd Mayweather are among the legendary Black fighters Arum has promoted during his 55-year run as a promoter.

For details on Crawford’s lawsuit, in which he seeks nearly $10 million in damages, click here: https://www.boxingscene.com/terence-crawford-sues-top-rank-breach-contract-claims-racial-bias--163399.

Arum’s company promoted Crawford, who is Black, for more than eight years. The Omaha, Nebraska, native has been one of the highest-paid boxers in the sport during that time.

The 34-year-old Crawford – who is generally regarded as one of the top three boxers, pound-for-pound, in the sport – indicated during the post-fight press conference following his 10th-round technical knockout of Shawn Porter on November 20 in Las Vegas that his promotional partnership with Top Rank had come to an end. In his lawsuit, however, Crawford contended that Top Rank still owes him one fight on the contract extension that was announced in September 2018.

The personal relationship between Arum and Crawford took a negative turn after Crawford’s fourth-round stoppage of England’s Kell Brook in November 2020 in Las Vegas. Arum infamously stated after Crawford made a $4 million guarantee for beating Brook in an essentially empty MGM Grand Conference Center that he could’ve built another house in Beverly Hills with all the money he lost promoting Crawford’s fights.

Crawford (38-0, 29 KOs) reportedly earned a $6 million guarantee for fighting Porter (31-4-1, 17 KOs). Porter, a former IBF and WBC welterweight champion, is the most formidable foe Crawford has encountered in the six fights since the former lightweight and undisputed junior welterweight champion moved up to the welterweight division early in 2018.

https://www.boxingscene.com/arum-cr...e-case-malicious-extortion-attempt-it--163402
I read crawfords complaint case against arum in your link. according to what i understand, crawford feels that because hes not an exciting, outgoing kinda guy with the flamboyant or even controversial personality of ali or sugar ray or mayweather, arum decided he wasnt worth the effort to make big fights...there's something wrong there. IT IS NOT THE FIGHTERS JOB TO BE HIS OWN PROMOTER. if some fighters want to take on thay role its up to them, but that is what the promoter gets paid to do... also, crawford had some concerns about the general racial climate and composition of the arum promotional management team. these would be legit concerns if they were brought to the HR office of any reputable corporation. but those claims of racism are not part of crawfords actual case...its more or less something he needed to get off his chest.

i remember many years ago, when i used to read ring magazine there was an article about ssm...and i think it was steve farhood wrote the article saying ssm should change his personality and become more of a villain or a-hole like fmj in order to become more marketable. it thought it was extremely disrespectful to shane, not to mention the strong hint of racism... seems to me arum has the same mindset.

What about outside of US?
The same Chisora, who never had world title most likely had earned with boxing not lesser than Loma and Usyk together.
Pumped up by eddie and co boxers are: A.J, Okolie, Buatsi, Conor Benn. In europe.
More well known these: A.J, Fury, Chisora, Whyte, Joyce, Dubois ( HW ) and Usyk.
Clear non euro origin boxers dominance in HW divsion. Beautiful " racism ".
U.K had more non european origin big names in boxing than white guys during last decades: Eubank Sr, Haye, Benn, A.J, Lewis.

Sure, damn big racism in europe.
that is why crawford needs to go with a guy like hearn ...or haymon.

You can't force two people to fight. If Spence or Crawford didn't want the fight, then what?

And are you going to answer me? Again, if Crawford wanted to fight Spence, why did he re-sign with Arum? The apparent massive racist?

Arum's response, btw.

Bob Arum emphatically denied Terence Crawford’s contention that his former promoter is a racist in a lawsuit Crawford filed Wednesday in Nevada.

The 90-year-old promoter dismissed Crawford’s lawsuit as “frivolous” and a “malicious extortion attempt” in a statement released to BoxingScene.com on Wednesday afternoon.

“Bud Crawford’s lawsuit against Top Rank is frivolous,” said Arum, a Harvard-educated attorney who began promoting boxing in 1966. “His vile accusations of racism are reckless and indefensible. He knows it, and his lawyer knows it. I have spent my entire working life as a champion of Black boxers, Latino boxers and other boxers of color. I have no doubt the Court will see Crawford’s case for the malicious extortion attempt that it is.”

Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Ray Leonard and Floyd Mayweather are among the legendary Black fighters Arum has promoted during his 55-year run as a promoter.

For details on Crawford’s lawsuit, in which he seeks nearly $10 million in damages, click here: https://www.boxingscene.com/terence-crawford-sues-top-rank-breach-contract-claims-racial-bias--163399.

Arum’s company promoted Crawford, who is Black, for more than eight years. The Omaha, Nebraska, native has been one of the highest-paid boxers in the sport during that time.

The 34-year-old Crawford – who is generally regarded as one of the top three boxers, pound-for-pound, in the sport – indicated during the post-fight press conference following his 10th-round technical knockout of Shawn Porter on November 20 in Las Vegas that his promotional partnership with Top Rank had come to an end. In his lawsuit, however, Crawford contended that Top Rank still owes him one fight on the contract extension that was announced in September 2018.

The personal relationship between Arum and Crawford took a negative turn after Crawford’s fourth-round stoppage of England’s Kell Brook in November 2020 in Las Vegas. Arum infamously stated after Crawford made a $4 million guarantee for beating Brook in an essentially empty MGM Grand Conference Center that he could’ve built another house in Beverly Hills with all the money he lost promoting Crawford’s fights.

Crawford (38-0, 29 KOs) reportedly earned a $6 million guarantee for fighting Porter (31-4-1, 17 KOs). Porter, a former IBF and WBC welterweight champion, is the most formidable foe Crawford has encountered in the six fights since the former lightweight and undisputed junior welterweight champion moved up to the welterweight division early in 2018.

https://www.boxingscene.com/arum-cr...e-case-malicious-extortion-attempt-it--163402
so, you think spence and crawford are avoiding each other...never heard that before today. i think they both want the fight. that is why bud signed with arum...the hope and promise of a big spence fight. that is what it said in the complaint from bud....but the promoters need to sit down and hammer out a deal. but the promoters are being greedy. they want to maximize their return and they dont care if the fighters have to waste years of their prime to let the fight marinate...screw arum. bud might have a better shot at gettting the fight now he no longer has that albatross around his neck

No, he's playing the race card because he's claiming he was mistreated for his race, when there is literally 0 evidence to support that fact and he also reupped his contract with them several years ago . If Crawford wanted big fights with PBC fighters or DAZN fighters , then he should have signed with them, not Top Rank. As it is, he claims he didn't get big fights yet Bob got him title fight after title fight andhe sits at the top of many P4P lists. What evidence is there that he was some kind of victim? People are getting sick to death of this bullshit.

Didn’t Mayweather claim the same thing and went on to make a lot more money on his own?
Fat fuck claimed Floyd was boring and couldn’t bring in PPV’s.

Didn’t Mayweather claim the same thing and went on to make a lot more money on his own?
I don't recall.

Why would Bob not make as much money as he can for his fighter? Do people actually believe he only signed Crawford to be his massah?

Fat fuck claimed Floyd was boring and couldn’t bring in PPV’s.
yes, exactly right. that was when floyd went from being pretty boy to being money mayweather...deliberately assumed a noxious personality to attract more attention to this fights. it was because arum implied he was underpaying floyd because floyd was a boring guy who didnt have a lot of marquee value

i guess floyd realized arum wasnt up to the job and decided he didnt need a promoter if he was to be expected to do the job himself.

i hope crawford dont feel the need to play the villain the way floyd did in order to broaden his public appeal.

Top Rank got Ward and Bradley fighting over who gets to say the dumbest shit about Bud every time he fights, ESPN regularly has either Bud or Loma ranked P4P #1 generally depending on who fought most recently.
Bud is a failure of a draw. His best numbers can probably be attributed to Amir Khan more than him, he has the personality of wet cardboard.

I hate Bob Arum, he's garbage but if you sign and re-sign especially after Floyd claimed Bob is such a bad promoter etc etc and you still go nah this will be fine. Some of it is on you.

I don't recall.

Why would Bob not make as much money as he can for his fighter? Do people actually believe he only signed Crawford to be his massah?
i can only speculate that arum saw crawfords talent....and figured he would make a ton of money ASSUMING crawford would be willing to take on a good bit of the self-promotional role like past arum fighters (ali, srl, fmj) did. bob didnt bank on having to get off his fat, lazy old ass and put in 110% into promoting crawford the way he expected crawford to put in 110% into all his fights.

i disagree. imo, canelo should really have at least three losses on his record (floyd, lara, ggg II)...and even if you give canelo the benefit of the doubt against trout and jacobs, he looked less than impressive against plant and even a washed up bjs.

on the other hand, crawford has dominated and kod 13 of all of his 16 title opponents including unifying at 140.
Get the fuck outta here

Canelo has an entire country behind him. Just as AJ does. Crawford doesn't. This isn't complicated. And it has absolutely nothing to do with Crawford being black.
how about ggg and lomachenko...do those guys also have a whole country behind them. no. ggg couldnt even speak english and was knocking out nothing but bums when he came on the scene. loma was 11 fights into his career with a loss to salido (!) and they were calling him pfp #1 over crawford. both those guys were relatively huge stars compared to crawford.

why is it that two guys with no built in support from any discernible group get to be bigger stars than crawford. its because they had good promotion behind them... as big a star as ggg and loma are/were, crawford should be so much bigger. but arum lets espn devalue his fighter and doesnt stand up for him. in fact, arum even disses bud in public!...who wouldnt wonder about arums loyalties.

Last edited:
Racism had prevented him to fight Errol Spence Jr during long time? SURE, cos then punches will not be racistic etc bullshit.

no, you are missing the point. the point is, bob doesnt value bud enough to put in the work to make the spence fight!...putting the fight together will take many hours of negotiations with haymon. it will take a lot of effort and money. bob simply doesnt feel bud is worth the investment. but he is not above profiting from buds hard work and success. this is why bud is calling him racist.

I read crawfords complaint case against arum in your link. according to what i understand, crawford feels that because hes not an exciting, outgoing kinda guy with the flamboyant or even controversial personality of ali or sugar ray or mayweather, arum decided he wasnt worth the effort to make big fights...there's something wrong there. IT IS NOT THE FIGHTERS JOB TO BE HIS OWN PROMOTER. if some fighters want to take on thay role its up to them, but that is what the promoter gets paid to do... also, crawford had some concerns about the general racial climate and composition of the arum promotional management team. these would be legit concerns if they were brought to the HR office of any reputable corporation. but those claims of racism are not part of crawfords actual case...its more or less something he needed to get off his chest.

i remember many years ago, when i used to read ring magazine there was an article about ssm...and i think it was steve farhood wrote the article saying ssm should change his personality and become more of a villain or a-hole like fmj in order to become more marketable. it thought it was extremely disrespectful to shane, not to mention the strong hint of racism... seems to me arum has the same mindset.

I call bullshit. Mosley was a star long before Mayweather Jr. adopted the “Money” persona. His reason for not becoming a superstar was running into Forrest and Wright two times each.

He is doing the right thing lmao
Boxing fandom is 90% race and nationality war, this will appeal to his base
Big problem for him is that his "rival" is also black, lots of people will not buy his excuses
He taking a play out of the Bronze Bomber's play book. It is a slippery slope to play, definitely did not work not too well for Deontay.

I call bullshit. Mosley was a star long before Mayweather Jr. adopted the “Money” persona. His reason for not becoming a superstar was running into Forrest and Wright two times each.
but oscar was a superstar...even though he lost to ssm (twice) and tito...was he not. my point is, by this time, ssm was already way past the forrest losses and had fought his way back to the top

but oscar was a superstar...even though he lost to ssm (twice) and tito...was he not. my point is, by this time, ssm was already way past the forrest losses and had fought his way back to the top

But then he got handled twice by Wright also…and the whole steroid scandal. Mayweather’s “Money” persona wouldn’t have worked nearly as well if he wasn’t unbeaten. Mosley would’ve been the same level of star no matter what persona he adopted. Either Farhood wrote a dumb article or you misremember what you think you read.

U.K had more non european origin big names in boxing than white guys during last decades

It's not a proof though... Jews were quite successful in Germany before the WW2, that doesn't mean antisemitism didn't exist in Europe, especially in Germany.

It's just an overall point though, i don't even know what Crawford claims.

More broadly, sport is a business, so the most bankable athletes will be always favored, regardless of their origin.

I can't speak with regard to Arum's racism or lack thereof. But I respectfully disagree a bit re: promoters job. Or let me put it this way: it seems entirely reasonable to me for a promoter to prefer fighters who are good at making their name known. Its not fair, of course, and as a guy who's bad at self promotion I feel it myself in my life all the time. To put it another way: its a movie studios job to promote a movie. But I dont blame them if they push for actors who give great interview rather than solely the top best actor. I mean if you got one guy who's gonna go on the tonight show and tell bunch of stories to riotous applause and another guy who's just gonna go on there and mumble and twiddle his thumbs well....... I certainly don't blame anyone for wanting the first guy involved in their project rather than the second. Same with fighters.

Back