Media Teofimo Lopez will keep his dad as his trainer

In a weird video, he announced he’s sticking by his dad. I believe this is a big mistake on his part.

Why do you think its a mistake? He was with his dad when he beat the P4P king. His dad was giving him instructions he was not really following in the Martin fight.

Why do you think its a mistake? He was with his dad when he beat the P4P king. His dad was giving him instructions he was not really following in the Martin fight.
I just think he needs a change of scenery. He hasn’t really improved since the Loma fight, and that’s led to him doubting himself after the Martin fight.

I just think he needs a change of scenery. He hasn’t really improved since the Loma fight, and that’s led to him doubting himself after the Martin fight.
I think the truth is that his style is going to look better vs certain fighters than others. A guy who will come at him and throw punches, like Lomachenko, Lopez will look fine. He's a counter puncher who looks less effective when forced to lead.

I think people are making too much of the Martin fight. The guy has a reputation of being a stinker and being in bad fights.

I think he has been successful despite having his dad as his trainer. Lopez Sr. is more delusional than his son, you can't honestly tell me that is doing Teo any good.

He had Joey Gamache for Loma but then dropped himfor Kambosis fight and got rekt

I think he has achieved what he has despite his father being in his corner rather than his father adding anything. Senior gives horrible advice ("knock the fucker out!!!") and there is no evidence that Jnr is making adjustments following his loss / poor performances to fulfill his potential.

I think he has achieved what he has despite his father being in his corner rather than his father adding anything. Senior gives horrible advice ("knock the fucker out!!!") and there is no evidence that Jnr is making adjustments following his loss / poor performances to fulfill his potential.
As I said on fight night, I really didn't think this was that close of a fight at all and I had the feeling Lopez was thinking the same thing throughout the fight. The feel I was getting is that he was confused that his corner didn't think he was doing well.

As I said on fight night, I really didn't think this was that close of a fight at all and I had the feeling Lopez was thinking the same thing throughout the fight. The feel I was getting is that he was confused that his corner didn't think he was doing well.

Do you think he performed to his potential, or close to it, though - that’s the real question for me.

He’s got all the physical talents in the world and is a fighter at heart, but he’s not evolving skill wise and he’s a mental wreck.

Not all of that is on his father, but I can’t help think that with someone more sober and knowledgeable behind him, Teofimo would be a World beater rather than a guy questioning himself after a close victory against Sandor Martin.

Do you think he performed to his potential, or close to it, though - that’s the real question for me.

He’s got all the physical talents in the world and is a fighter at heart, but he’s not evolving skill wise and he’s a mental wreck.

Not all of that is on his father, but I can’t help think that with someone more sober and knowledgeable behind him, Teofimo would be a World beater rather than a guy questioning himself after a close victory against Sandor Martin.
Just my opinion but I felt like he thought Martin wasn't doing anything to win. Maybe because thats how I felt watching the fight, I don't know.
As for living up to his potential.... tough to say. Maybe Martin is just better than people think. He did beat Garcia and while I thought he lost the fight to Lopez pretty clean, he did make Lopez look ordinary. I think it'd be fair that perhaps we've seen Lopez's weakness, a style he doesn't look so good against or perhaps a style he's not well at applying himself. He looked fine in the fight before this one. People are being too quick to write him off, I think. It'd be a shame to not see him vs guys like Ramirez or Prograis because of this fight.

Just my opinion but I felt like he thought Martin wasn't doing anything to win. Maybe because thats how I felt watching the fight, I don't know.
As for living up to his potential.... tough to say. Maybe Martin is just better than people think. He did beat Garcia and while I thought he lost the fight to Lopez pretty clean, he did make Lopez look ordinary. I think it'd be fair that perhaps we've seen Lopez's weakness, a style he doesn't look so good against or perhaps a style he's not well at applying himself. He looked fine in the fight before this one. People are being too quick to write him off, I think. It'd be a shame to not see him vs guys like Ramirez or Prograis because of this fight.
It’s not really that much a mystery, Martin is good at what he does, but as a counter puncher he only wants to engage or open up when he can strike when his chasing opponent is overreaching which was definitely the thing that was forcing Lopez, who was doing Heisman night or whatever, to lead because he wanted the big KO. Sandor only wanted to exchange when he could get off first with a counter and it was obvious Lopez could win the exchanges at the cost of getting hit clean coming in, but I think his frustration stemmed from wanting a guy to put on a show with, and instead having to overcome a bit of a boxing lesson with his athleticism allowing him to lead to mixed effect and countering off counters in the exchanges. I’d say you could score this wide, but I had it fairly close but Sandor never really went the extra mile for me, I felt like he could have tried to be great but seemed more about 0 risk and what worked early, didn’t want to lead or work outside his specific bubble forcing Lopez chase.

If anything Lopez proved something here, not really a failure, but overcame a stiff opponent who was a bad matchup for him.

when a fighter takes a loss, changes trainers, he's not taking responsibility but placing the blame elsewhere, can you think of many fighters who after an excellent run, took a loss, changed trainers and improved

when a fighter takes a loss, changes trainers, he's not taking responsibility but placing the blame elsewhere, can you think of many fighters who after an excellent run, took a loss, changed trainers and improved

Fury after the Wilder draw?

I think it'd be fair that perhaps we've seen Lopez's weakness, a style he doesn't look so good against or perhaps a style he's not well at applying himself. He looked fine in the fight before this one. People are being too quick to write him off, I think. It'd be a shame to not see him vs guys like Ramirez or Prograis because of this fight.

I hope we see those fights too, but I hope its the version of Teofimo who had the balls to step up against Loma and win who enters the ring, not the current insecure version.

Getting a proper trainer in place of his dipshit father would help IMO.

Also Wilder after the first Fury loss. Call it what you want, Wilder improved since Malik

Not sure I agree with that. Bulking up for the second fight did him no favours and it was only his dogged spirit which kept the fight going so long.

More of the same in the third, except Fury performed to a lower level.

Not sure I agree with that. Bulking up for the second fight did him no favours and it was only his dogged spirit which kept the fight going so long.

More of the same in the third, except Fury performed to a lower level.
Fury performed exactly as he did in 2nd fight, exploited Wilders shortcomings and had him eating canvas by 3rd round. Wilder, coming off a KO loss against the same guy who just scored a knockdown on him, visibly made himself focus and find resolve, then almost win the fight in the next round. Exhibited same resolve and ability to get Fury’s attn and maintain danger factor deep into fight where same resolve left a lasting impression with fans despite loss, then came back and showed world a guy like Helenius was still just a tune up for a guy like Wilder literally icing him in a perfectly fought single round, I guess we will see if this has been an improvement or not when we see beyond just 2 fights Scott as a trainer and against someone that actually means something, but I’d say the Wilder/Scott connect is off to a good start.

I hope we see those fights too, but I hope its the version of Teofimo who had the balls to step up against Loma and win who enters the ring, not the current insecure version.

Getting a proper trainer in place of his dipshit father would help IMO.
The difference though, IMO, is that Loma didn't fight like Lopez would explode if he too close. Loma comes right at his opponents, Teofimo will tear guys like that up. Lets see him stink it up against the sort of guy he normally dominates before we say he's finished.

Fury performed exactly as he did in 2nd fight, exploited Wilders shortcomings and had him eating canvas by 3rd round. Wilder, coming off a KO loss against the same guy who just scored a knockdown on him, visibly made himself focus and find resolve, then almost win the fight in the next round. Exhibited same resolve and ability to get Fury’s attn and maintain danger factor deep into fight where same resolve left a lasting impression with fans despite loss, then came back and showed world a guy like Helenius was still just a tune up for a guy like Wilder literally icing him in a perfectly fought single round, I guess we will see if this has been an improvement or not when we see beyond just 2 fights Scott as a trainer and against someone that actually means something, but I’d say the Wilder/Scott connect is off to a good start.

I disagree that Fury performed to the same level in the 3rd, but agree Wilder looked back to his old pre-Fury self against a scrub like Helenius. Time will tell.

Just hope he gets a decent opponent soon - Wilder Joshua is the fight to make.

Back