Teo vs. Kambosos: will George become the next star or was it an off night?

panem-et-circenses

In the garden
Reaction score
So, as the title states, do you believe Teo had an off night? ESPN ran a story about how much of a mess this promotion was, with lawsuits and personal strife, and a decent amount of Sherdoggers were saying, ‘Teo is overlooking/looks weird on the scale’.

if they rematch, does George win again? Is Kambosos a new draw/star?

Kambosos will just be the guy one of the top guys lifts all the belts from.

Kambosos is a level below what Lopez is. I mean, for perspective- Lopez just beat Lomacchenko. Kambosos is coming off of disputed decisions vs Selby and Bey.

kambosos is a very good lightweight and this was definitely a coming-out party for him. not sure he wins a rematch, and no idea what he’s capable of against the other killers in the division but he’s a LOT better than we thought he was & his style matches up well with others entertainment-wise.

i don’t think lopez gave us his best, but he’s still teofimo lopez and kambosos beat one of the best pound-for-pound fighters on earth, fair and square. if an immediate rematch doesn’t happen, i’d be curious to see who jumps on him as a unification opponent. the winner of haney/diaz could unify the entire division if they look to jump on kambosos. dude shook up the world for sure.

You can make the argument either way. Teo can certainly fight a more intelligent fight (not hard) and I assume most of the pre-fight issues can be fixed. Tonight’s experience will make Kambosos a better, more confident fighter though and he clearly possesses some skills that trouble Lopez. I don’t see him as one of the very best fighters in the division, but him beating Lopez again wouldn’t exactly shock me. Styles make fights and he might end up being in Teo’s head.

I think I’d have to pick Lopez to win a rematch, but I could also see his career/life spiralling out of control. I have a sherdog psychology degree and I sometimes get that vibe. The whole dad thing is a bit of a worry.

No idea whether Kambosos would become a star if he beats Lopez again. Another win over Teo would certainly give him some more legitimacy but I think he’d have to beat another elite lightweight to really get his due. I don’t see that happening but he certainly shocked the world tonight.

Lopez blew it big time. I still think he’s the best of the bunch at 135 if he gets back to using his brains. George is the legit underdog against Loma, Haney or Davis IMO. That being said overlooking Kambosos isn’t the greatest idea.

Last edited:
Kambosos should tell Teo to take a hike to the back of the line. Karma, motherfkrs !

I bet Tank's team makes a massive offer to him to yoink the belts off him. Be stupid if they don’t.

Kambosos is a level below what Lopez is. I mean, for perspective- Lopez just beat Lomacchenko. Kambosos is coming off of disputed decisions vs Selby and Bey.
that's all well and good but it seems worth noting that Kambosos is coming off of beating Lopez.

Kambosos isn't necessarily physically impressive but he can do a bit of everything, has some slickness to him and he has the chin and stamina to keep himself interesting. He was getting beat up in round ten and he stormed back to take the last two rounds from Teo. That's not an easy thing to do.

Last edited:
Kambosos should tell Teo to take a hike to the back of the line. Karma, motherfkrs !

I bet Tank's team makes a massive offer to him to yoink the belts off him. Be stupid if they don’t.
As an Aussie and fan of George the Tank fight is a way bigger worry

Like I said in another thread...

Teofimo got exposed tonight bigtime.

No champion should be rewarded for completely abandoning his jab and footwork and fighting most of the fight with his hands so low.

Inexcusable.

Opera-Instantan-2021-11-28-081913-www-youtube-com.png

FWIW it seems like Kambosos has expressed interest in rematching Lopez (after the fight) and fighting Haney and Lomachenko in the build up ot the fight. I think he's looking to take on the best and we'll see him avoid the stupid diva shit a lot of this generation has been doing.

FWIW it seems like Kambosos has expressed interest in rematching Lopez (after the fight) and fighting Haney and Lomachenko in the build up ot the fight. I think he's looking to take on the best and we'll see him avoid the stupid diva shit a lot of this generation has been doing.
He's a different guy for sure. Most Aussie fighters hang around at home taking easy fights before going overseas. He hasn't taken an easy route thats for sure

Kambosos should take a money fight with Ryan Garcia. I’d favor him there, not against Haney, Loma or Tank.
We’ve probably seen the last of Lopéz at LW.

Great fight congratulations to Kambosis.
He beat Lopez in an exciting fight.

Kombosis can definitely be the next big star if he stays focused and determined makes the right decisions.

Whether he rematches Teo, or fights Tank, Haney, Loma or Garcia, he'll already have bigger balls than the rest of them.

If Tank beats Cruz next weekend, Floyd and Ellerbe should move mountains to get this fight.

No Australian-born boxer has ever achieved sustained success at the very top and it's certainly not going to start with George, unfortunately. But he will forever be a local 'star' in our boxing backwater at least because of this and this should help him get a few more reasonably big fights even if he drops the belts immediately.

Kambosos has already declared himself the greatest Australian boxer in history, funnily enough. The sad part is, it's only slightly premature.

I would rank this the 3rd most important win in Australian-born boxing history (so no Kostya), which shows that it is very slim pickings. Lionel Rose vs Fighting Harada is clearly number 1, and then Horn vs Pacquaio. Yeah, the Horn decision was bogus and Horn sucks, but it still counts.

Back