Tennis Elbow

November

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Got tennis elbow from an armbar a few months back. I let it heal when I got my arm popped initially, but it flared up in training a few days ago. Right now I am taking ibuprofen before class so it doesn't bother me especially after I warm up, but I can't do any lifting. Do any you guys have any experience with this? Any advice would be very helpful. Will be seeing the doctor soon.

a doctor could only really tell you to go to a PT for rehab.

swing your arm in large circles in both directions with the shoulder being the piviot point. this will allow the rest of the arm to experience better blood flow and be somewhat relaxed. rub the shit out of the lateral epicondyle area to flush the tissue and make it warm.
on your elbow, find the lateral epicondyle (the point where the common tendon attaches and it should have screaming pain) and find the most painful spot. (it will be different every day by a small amount) find the direction that causes the most pain to the pain spot and use "cross fiber friction" to help with the realigning of the scar tissue. (again, the painful direction will change daily)

now you need to do the tendon rehab excercises. start with a pound or so, and o 3 sets of 10, extension of the wrist at the forearm. gradually increase weight as you are able to.

flush the elbow again, realign the scar tissue once more with cross fiber friction, then ice the epicondyle till it is numb. ice is key, as realigning the scar tissue is viewed by the body as trauma. trauma calls for repair, but the ice will stop the hystamine response and the fibroclasts will not be sent out. everyday for 2-3 weeks and you will be better. 3 times a week works, 5 times is better.

have fun. and yes, i do have experience with this, both having dealt with medial and lateral epicondylitis in myself, and working in rehab some years back.

best of luck to you on achieving a pain free body.

edit: it would not hurt to take an envelope of knoxx unflavored geletain in juice every day during rehab. if you got it from an armbar, (red flag) your tendons might be in need of some nutritional fortification. take fish oil too.

KT tape
Use it

a doctor could only really tell you to go to a PT for rehab.

swing your arm in large circles in both directions with the shoulder being the piviot point. this will allow the rest of the arm to experience better blood flow and be somewhat relaxed. rub the shit out of the lateral epicondyle area to flush the tissue and make it warm.
on your elbow, find the lateral epicondyle (the point where the common tendon attaches and it should have screaming pain) and find the most painful spot. (it will be different every day by a small amount) find the direction that causes the most pain to the pain spot and use "cross fiber friction" to help with the realigning of the scar tissue. (again, the painful direction will change daily)

now you need to do the tendon rehab excercises. start with a pound or so, and o 3 sets of 10, extension of the wrist at the forearm. gradually increase weight as you are able to.

flush the elbow again, realign the scar tissue once more with cross fiber friction, then ice the epicondyle till it is numb. ice is key, as realigning the scar tissue is viewed by the body as trauma. trauma calls for repair, but the ice will stop the hystamine response and the fibroclasts will not be sent out. everyday for 2-3 weeks and you will be better. 3 times a week works, 5 times is better.

have fun. and yes, i do have experience with this, both having dealt with medial and lateral epicondylitis in myself, and working in rehab some years back.

best of luck to you on achieving a pain free body.

edit: it would not hurt to take an envelope of knoxx unflavored geletain in juice every day during rehab. if you got it from an armbar, (red flag) your tendons might be in need of some nutritional fortification. take fish oil too.

There is no spot on my arm that has screaming pain that I can feel by touch. The only thing that hurts is if I lock out my elbow or make fast side to side movements, such as throwing a hook.

Just need to rest. I have the same issue off an on. It usually flares up when I get daring and stupid trying to spin out of arm bars or buck and roll off of kimura/Americana attempts from the mount. After a few month it goes away and than comes right back. Ice and heat therapy has helped me a lot.

There is no spot on my arm that has screaming pain that I can feel by touch. The only thing that hurts is if I lock out my elbow or make fast side to side movements, such as throwing a hook.

you likely do not have tennis elbow. see an orthopedist for a diagnosis.

Back