Tendonitis

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Old Man, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Old Man

Old Man Black Belt

Anyone have any experience with this? I have been experiencing pain in one of my arms near the elbow which seems to be tendonitis. The recommended course of action is rest, ice, and NSAIDs. flak also gave me some great exercises: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showpost.php?p=20526796&postcount=160

Anyway, I have gone about 1.5 months without doing any upper body exercises (except dips which don't bother me at all). Other than that I haven't really done anything else, because I thought with some rest this thing would go away. However, 2 months into it I am still in pain, and I really want to get back to pushing and pulling. I need to start ice and flak's exercises. And I know a doctor's visit probably wouldn't hurt.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Any other ideas about ways to get over this?

2. magicman531

magicman531 Try Sarah Topps Banned

I had a very similar problem in my elbow. Do you know what caused yours? Mine was mostly from doing pull ups.

To get rid of it, I used the cable expanders for a few weeks and continue to use them periodically. That worked wonders for me. You might give it a try. I'll also add that I cut out pull ups while rehabbing the arm but have since reincorporated them without any of my previous problems.

3. WinterIsComing

WinterIsComing Blue Belt

Sounds like someone's been doing too many "forearm extensions".
    [​IMG]

4. Old Man

Old Man Black Belt

Yes, chronic masturbation could be the problem.

5. Old Man

Old Man Black Belt

I think I also might have hurt it doing pull-ups. I hadn't done them in a while, and I gained 12 pounds from lifting, so I think it might have been too much. But I haven't done them since I hurt myself. Can you give me more details on these "cable expanders"?

6. magicman531

Chest expanders, spring cable expanders,

[​IMG]

This was my favorite movement with them. The one arm overhead press. I actually got into them because of Matt Furey and his claims that they healed his injury that he also got from pullups. Surprisingly, this was one claim of his that actually worked.

7. theblackknight

theblackknight Brown Belt

A physical therapist can give you iontophoresis or phonoresis treatment, cortozone shots cannot be applied due to the high incidence of tendon rupture (atleast in the achilles which I have), this will speed up the process, this place also has cold wraps for your elbow specifically designed for this sort of thing:

http://secure3.mendmeshop.com/produ...id=48&osCsid=d7dbaedbc0bae78f6f70aaf297b2918c

I honestly would not mess with their "home phonoresis treatment" if I were you, I would reccomend talking to your doctor/physical therapist and getting iontophoresis (or phonoresis, I've been told iontophoresis is more effective though) treatment, but if your the type to try anything I guess you could try it out (once again I would not reccomend it, no matter what they say on the website unless you have consulted a health care proffesional).

I've had tendonitis of the achilles for over 6 months, the best thing you can do is go see a doctor/physical therapist (he can give you excercises to stretch and strengthen it), ice it and take ibuprofen. You want to make sure you treat it the right way, I would suggest seeing a doctor as soon as possible, and he can refer you to a physical therapist. If you don't treat it the right way you risk prolonging your injury.

8. ahab

ahab Eater of small villages.

9. hunto

hunto Brown Belt

Could it be bursitis, as opposed to tendonitis? Bursitis (for me, anyway) lasts a lot longer than tendonitis.

10. magicman531

11. ahab

ahab Eater of small villages.

ermm? Cressey > Furey.

Figured you'd appreciate better backing for your suggestion.

12. magicman531

Yeah I wasn't really serious.

13. spiral

spiral Banned Banned

I had tendinitis on the knee some 4 years ago, from walking endlessly with heavy bacpack. The army doc told me there's no real medication or exercise to cure it, all you can do is let the body cure it by itself, by stopping any kind of exercise (in my case that included runing), drinking a lot of water and less alcool (which I found difficult back then :icon_chee). In my case it took 2 months to go away. I was warned that if I started to run or hike again before the pain totally disappeared, it would come back... so I waited.

So it seems there is no way of speeding the cure. On the other hand, I guess there is a lot that can be done to *prevent* it from happening in the first place, or from coming back.

14. DEVILsSON

DEVILsSON Black Belt

cissus+vitamin C...i think i mentioned this before....did wonders for me...still does...one of my regulars in my daily stack...right up there with glucosamine/chondroitin...

high rep band exercises that target the specific joint work wonders as well....so for elbow do curls and extensions...yes it's ghey...but try/do it anywayz...

15. Old Man

Old Man Black Belt

How much glucosamine/chondroitin do you take a day? I take it, but I'm not sure how much I should be taking. That stuff is insanely expensive.

16. Old Man

Old Man Black Belt

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

(except DEVILsSON who refuses to answer my questions)

17. Lard-ass

Lard-ass Sodomizer

Moonshining and banjo pickinĀ“ in Aintry.
    There should be a sticky on tendonitis/tendonisis, seriously. This question pops up regularly...

Its crucial to know the difference between tendonitis (inflammatory state in the tendon) and tendonisis (degenerative state of the tendon).

Read and learn. In the first link, scroll down to Dans knuckles post.
    The second link are discussing tendonisis in patella tendon... Dont know if its relevant here.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=572262&highlight=tendonisis

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-565829.html

18. Veedon Fleece

Veedon Fleece White Belt

I got tendonitis in my elbows from squatting, weird huh? I had to take 4 weeks off until it went away. It really sucked.

19. Merrill

Merrill Purple Belt

You will probably have to post in his log to get his attention.

20. Old Man

Old Man Black Belt

I didn't do a search before starting this thread. I don't know why, I usually do that. Thanks for the links.