Tell me what I am doing to myself

blank1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty ignorant of the details of training/diet. I understand the basics maybe, probably not as much as I think although. So, please, tell me what I am doing to myself by living this sort of life:

I average between 2000 - 2300 calories per day, and I know this with certainty. I have a pretty even split between carbs and proteins, with a bias towards carbs, and roughly 20% from fats.

My weekly routine has 5 days of activity, and 2 days of rest:

2 days, I do sprints consisting of running ~60 yards at a 60-70% VO2 max, then ~40-50 yards of sprinting at 85-90% effort, rinse and repeat for 20 minutes.

2 days, I lift, mostly doing 4x9, a couple tabata, one body weight for a total of 7 different exercises, which takes me 45-50 minutes. I'm not really looking to get bigger or stronger atm, though that is something I'll pursue in the future for certain (I have it planned to begin in Fall of 2011).

1 day, I run 2 miles (11 minutes), then skip rope for about 10 minutes.

I am 5'11, and I weigh 180 lbs.

Sounds like you're on a cut. If you aren't fat you should stop that and put muscle on imo.

+1 to your post count! Congratulations.

omg you have FOUND ME OUT! now i have to open up a whole other account, resart as a white belt, unroll the sleeping be- aaahhhh goodnight.

if you don't know what you're doing thats a little weird.you're working out and focusing on endurance it seems,also you not eating very much so I guess your goal is to lose weight?

Sounds like your lifting is geared towards muscular endurance. Not that you can't get stronger, but you aren't lifting optimally to gain strength, and you aren't eating optimally to support strength gains. What you're doing is great for cardiovascular health and you are probably staying quite lean if not reducing your body fat percentage steadily.

i think you have a good point. People train hard, eat right, etc, but don't have a plan in mind or goal that they want to accomplish. Good to bring that up.

Welp, looks like you posted what you ARE doing.

Now post what you intend to accomplish.

Otherwise, wandecosho has it covered. Good luck.

What is the point of this thread?

Will I win I prize if I guess correctly?

To the TS,

With respect, what you typed initially wasn't very clear and you didn't specify your goals. You basically, just told us what your week looks like.

I think what would help us is if you put down what you are aiming to achieve, when and add anything else you consider relevant.

If you're 5'11" 180 lbs. and you can run 2 miles in 11 minutes, you probably wouldn't be asking questions like this.

Also at that size and fitness/activity level, you aren't possibly maintaining your weight on 2000-2300 calories per day.

If you are trying to lose weight than you are on the right track. My advice would be to actually have a clearly defined goal. Then search the web and figure out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. If you want to cut weight continue what you are doing. If you want to add mass increase your caloric intake. If you don't have a goal it is going to be real easy to get bored, skip workouts and lose what you have already built.

If you're 5'11" 180 lbs. and you can run 2 miles in 11 minutes, you probably wouldn't be asking questions like this.

Also at that size and fitness/activity level, you aren't possibly maintaining your weight on 2000-2300 calories per day.

I don't see how my height and weight have anything to do with my level of education on diet and fitness.

I've been training and exercising my whole life, which explains that I have a good level of fitness, but I want to formulate a more clear-cut goal by educating myself. This post is a part of that process. I wanted to know what my current exercise regimen was doing to me (Which is the goal of this thread for the myriad of the reading comprehension impaired on the first page ^.^) -- what I've garnered is that I should be leaning out (I am).

You need to eat less carbs & more fat. If carbs are your #1 source of calories, you're doing it wrong.

You need to eat less carbs & more fat. If carbs are your #1 source of calories, you're doing it wrong.

Just about everyone else I've spoken to has told me that optimal performance and body composition accompanies a diet rich in complex carbohydrates. I do get a healthy amount of my calories from fat. Is there some newer, more correct information that I am lacking?

20% from fat is pretty low. Other than fruits & veggies, you really don't need much in the way of carbs.

Really? I thought that your muscles required glucose as fuel, and that glucose was supplied to your body most effectively by carbohydrates. This is what someone else told me a long time ago, so that I would preserve lean muscle mass. Would I be preserving muscle mass better by switching to a higher fat diet? Also, please don't take offense, but I need more than your word for it, so if you have any links that would be cool.

I don't know why I'm jumping through hoops to show you when I should just tell you to look it up for yourself. Maybe just cause with the way that S&P/C is going, I'm hoping this subforum will continue to be a pretty good source of info like it has been for me.

This one is mostly aimed @ saturated fats in particular & cholesterol, but you'll find some useful info - http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/cholesterol-saturated-fat-myths-addressed-here-1141488/

Here's a list of some excellent sources of dietary fats - http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/ten-oils-how-use-them-788314/#post23325039

I can look up a few more later, I'm headed out to buy my daughter her 1st bicycle in a minute and she takes a much higher priority than this. Basically, IMHO if you're only getting 20% of your calories from fats and the majority of the remainder is from carbs, you're eating too much carbs & not enough dead animals.

I don't know why I'm jumping through hoops to show you when I should just tell you to look it up for yourself. Maybe just cause with the way that S&P/C is going, I'm hoping this subforum will continue to be a pretty good source of info like it has been for me.

This one is mostly aimed @ saturated fats in particular & cholesterol, but you'll find some useful info - http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/cholesterol-saturated-fat-myths-addressed-here-1141488/

Here's a list of some excellent sources of dietary fats - http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/ten-oils-how-use-them-788314/#post23325039

I can look up a few more later, I'm headed out to buy my daughter her 1st bicycle in a minute and she takes a much higher priority than this. Basically, IMHO if you're only getting 20% of your calories from fats and the majority of the remainder is from carbs, you're eating too much carbs & not enough dead animals.

I think you missed the part where I said my carbs/protein are in pretty even balance with a slight bias toward carbs. I eat lots of dead animal :) I just spent like 50$ worth of sashimi just for me like, 20 minutes ago. <3 dead stuff

Back