Tell me more about mma/grappling shorts

NVCreations

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Alright new guy here wanting to get schooled on grappling or mma shorts. What makes them difference than ACTUAL board shorts (minus the split seem).

Also, I notice a vast majority of suppliers carry very spaced out sizes (30", 36", 40") do these adjust to match a smaller waste than listed? Like I am a 31", would I synch down a 36", or squeeze into a 30"?

Finally, what are the most "affordable" yet dependable I should be looking at? I saw the new Korals with the ripstop were only $42 compared to most of these shorts being from $49 to $64...

tHanks!

Alright new guy here wanting to get schooled on grappling or mma shorts. What makes them difference than ACTUAL board shorts (minus the split seem).

Also, I notice a vast majority of suppliers carry very spaced out sizes (30", 36", 40") do these adjust to match a smaller waste than listed? Like I am a 31", would I synch down a 36", or squeeze into a 30"?

Finally, what are the most "affordable" yet dependable I should be looking at? I saw the new Korals with the ripstop were only $42 compared to most of these shorts being from $49 to $64...

tHanks!
What is the difference between board shorts and mma shorts? Alright I will tell you.
MMA shorts are made of similar material to board shorts, but mma shorts are more tough and durable to withstand the demands of fighting.

Another difference is that most board shorts are made for swimming and have the built in net underwear inside of them.

Another difference probaly the most important difference. Is that on board short all the laces and $hit that tighten the shorts are exposed. MMA shorts have a closure to cover the laces as a safety feature. You could not even compete or fight with board shorts they would be considered illegal with no closure around the laces.

When it comes to sizing most shorts are similar to pant sizes if you wear a 31 you should go with a 32.

Except if you get Sprawls. With sprawls they are big and have a generous cut. In my opinion they are the best fight shorts maybe not the best looking and flashiest. But the most comfortable and functional for fighting or training.

If you were to go with a sprawl you should go one size smaller than your regular pant size.

As far as pricing and picking a short it depends on what you like. If you like tapout shorts they have a $hit load of them. At ross. They have alot of them for smaller guys like yourself anywhere from $12.99 to $16.99 which is a steal if you order them from tapout.com or any other mma website they arelike anywhere from $40-$60. And at ross you can try them on in the fitting room.

Or if you like sprawls go to Sprawl Fight Short Company - Fightwear - MMA Shorts- MMA Clothing - SPRAWL.tv and go to the clearance section they have good deals right now on certain shorts anywhre from $34 to $42 which is a very good price. With these I would go a size smaller than you regular pant size. You should call sprawl first to see. Craig at sprawl is a cool guy and provides excellent customer service.

Pretty much what the above poster said, no external pockets, buttons, zippers, etc..., more durable material, and they have a section designed into the crotch area to allow high roundhouse or sidekicks, and generally a small inside pocket for your mouth guard, and good internal waistband drawstring.

:icon_chee

What is the difference between board shorts and mma shorts? Alright I will tell you.
MMA shorts are made of similar material to board shorts, but mma shorts are more tough and durable to withstand the demands of fighting.

Another difference is that most board shorts are made for swimming and have the built in net underwear inside of them.

Another difference probaly the most important difference. Is that on board short all the laces and $hit that tighten the shorts are exposed. MMA shorts have a closure to cover the laces as a safety feature. You could not even compete or fight with board shorts they would be considered illegal with no closure around the laces.

When it comes to sizing most shorts are similar to pant sizes if you wear a 31 you should go with a 32.

Except if you get Sprawls. With sprawls they are big and have a generous cut. In my opinion they are the best fight shorts maybe not the best looking and flashiest. But the most comfortable and functional for fighting or training.

If you were to go with a sprawl you should go one size smaller than your regular pant size.

As far as pricing and picking a short it depends on what you like. If you like tapout shorts they have a $hit load of them. At ross. They have alot of them for smaller guys like yourself anywhere from $12.99 to $16.99 which is a steal if you order them from tapout.com or any other mma website they arelike anywhere from $40-$60. And at ross you can try them on in the fitting room.

Or if you like sprawls go to Sprawl Fight Short Company - Fightwear - MMA Shorts- MMA Clothing - SPRAWL.tv and go to the clearance section they have good deals right now on certain shorts anywhre from $34 to $42 which is a very good price. With these I would go a size smaller than you regular pant size. You should call sprawl first to see. Craig at sprawl is a cool guy and provides excellent customer service.

holy information batman! Thanks a ton!

holy information batman! Thanks a ton!

They're not that all the same material... Most mma shorts have a stretch fabric either 2 way or 4 way to make it easier to utilize your kicks and knees.

Most short companies make their board shorts in 2" increments. Many times you'll see a disparity from online shops because they are out of stock of certain sizes.

Typically you will want to get shorts in your jean size, but check suggestions given in regard to the specific shorts you look out.

I've worn some generic mesh athletic shorts (basketball style) and they've worked just fine - they even have an internal drawstring. I can't see a huge advantage of fight shorts over them, unless someone decides to grab them.

Back