tell me about knee-shield guard as an open guard, pls

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a DVD series that covers knee-shield as an open guard, particularly against a standing opponent?

I swear I've seen Saulo talk about this in his book or a DVD, but I don't remember where.

I'd like to give this a shot. I've seen people here suggest trying knee-shield guard if other open guards aren't working for you.

If he stands you can go to something like collar sleeve.

Especially if you play with the hand deep in the collar.

Mendes brothers teach knee shield as a sort of intermediate distance open guard, though they generally go to dlr or rdlr if the opponent stands up completely. Check out their online website. Great technical details on this approach.

If you don’t like dlr/rdlr, you can also switch to shin guard/single leg x as the distance increases, then back to knee shield as they get closer.

There was definitely a lot of stuff from Xande on their BJJ Library site when i used to be on it but i'm not sure there is any dvd set. Its Collar & Sleeve open guard with one foot on the sleeve side hip and the other as a knee shield so you might find stuff out there labelled Collar & Sleeve rather than described as knee shield.

From what i remember its more something he was showing when they're kneeling not standing.

Michael Langhe was a DVD on RDLR, I haven't seen it but I've liked his instructionals that I have seen. Mendes bros have a ton of stuff on their site on it.

Yeah, 'open' half guard is basically pretty much reverse de la riva. I personally consider it, deep half, and reverse half, to all be different points on the continuum of a same overarching position.

Last edited:
I was going to echo lach - I think Craig Jones is known for his knee shield.

I know it was big with some of the higher brasa/checkmat guys lucas leite, demian maia, etc. Id suggust following them and checking out any footage they have.

Yeah, 'open' half guard is basically pretty much reverse de la riva. I personally consider it, deep half, and reverse half, to all be different points on the continuum of a same overarching position.

Reverse de la riva/deep half and reverse half all work differently, the only things is that very often there are transitions between them.

Reverse de la riva/deep half and reverse half all work differently, the only things is that very often there are transitions between them.

Yes, that is exactly it.

If you were to watch competition footage to see examples of what people are doing when they are successful in scoring from all of these positions, what you will tend to see is a lot of: rolling under to get behind, switching the legs to a crab ride, and getting a waist lock to attack the back or coming up with a back angle single, in each case.

Or in more recent years, rolling under to get behind, switching the legs to x/reverse x guard, and pulling their leg into saddle or coming up with a tree top single, in each case.

Last edited:
I really dig it against the stronger wrestlers that like to really put their weight on you. Just be sure to try and keep those grips tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back