teh internets and us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Now

White Belt
Reaction score
Seriously, as Im starting this thread I dont know yet if this is going to be a valuable source of information or just a drunktards ramblings - HOWEVER [Yes Im drunk, and I know its not the best state to be in on a friday evening (where I should be sleeping - sober-). ] there is something that has been bothering me for a long time.

Sports (or training for various sports, rather) is not even the only subject, this has been going on FOREVER in basically every area I have ever researched.
What seems to be happening is, that when you do research offline, like reading books, asking coaches or discussing things with peers you aquire knowledge about anything very quickly. "This is true, dump xy its not worth it and never do z" Period.
Seriously, ask any gymrat and he will tell you that he knows EXACTLY what hes doing because of source [whatever].

Now if you go online however, that entire world of knowledge crumbles like the tower of babel IMMEDIATELY. Seriously. Noone with an IQ near the triple digits could google "creatine" or "strenght training" without coming to a place like sherdog sooner or later. Now the thing that happens at sherdog is, that everyone thinks that they are very knowledgeable about terms like the above (and please dont get me wrong guys, Im not saying that you arent). So now EVERYTHING is laid out on a super popular and big site like sherdog (in the faqs, in super repetative threads and the general notions) availaible for everyone.
Nothing strange about that, if it wasnt for my personal experience, as well as numerous statements constantly made on the forums, that NOONE in the real world possesses knowledge that seemingly EVERYONE does on sherdog.com

I mean look around. The real beef on sherdog comes on when topics like "Paleo diet vs. low carb vs. nocarb w/grains" come up. Or when deadlifts in SS are supposed to come before or after squats etc.

As soon as I go out the door however, people who are actually supposed to know about nutrition will argue that carbohydrates are absolutely essential for the human bodies survival (iE you would die on a no carb diet). And that deadlifts will kill your back in less than 6 months. We have all heard it.

What I truly absolutely honest to god and I swear to my mothers grave dont understand is how there can be information (usually backed by what we consider good science) so readily availabe by just a view clicks and yet be sooooooo many miles away from reality.
When I put my creatine (I mix it in right before I drink it) into my PWO-shake and people ask me "what is that?", I answer "vitamins." nowadays because Im sick and tired of arguing that Im not on steroids.

Whats happening guys. I dont get it.

Whatever my question is. Whether it be to get rid of acne, grow my dick, sleep more lucidly, get better at BJJ, make my pc go faster, eat healthier, get a wallhack for counterstrike, dress my ass more fashionably, how to do drugs safely, get more gold for world of warcraft, buy the best fishoil gelcaps, increase my income, raise my iq or get stronger abz.... IM SURE TO FIND A VERY SPECIALIZED, VERY ACCURATELY DETAILED AND USUALLY SCIENTIFICALLY SUPPORTED FORUM WITHIN MINUTES.

Much like its the case with sherdog. Ive gotten into MMA. I enjoy it and I know how to use the internet. I google "MMA" pretty much and I come here.
I learn about how weights will not stunt my boxing abilities, how lifting will not make me inflexible for BJJ and how creatine is not a steroid (ok I knew that before, but you get the point).

So why is it that 10 minutes of research seem to have gotten me further than years of experience and training of many others?! I used to think that Im just that much smarter for knowing how to use the internet.
But seeing how easy and widespread the use of the internet has gotten, im starting to question myself and how I still dont know ANYONE who shares even th hint of the knowledge that I do. No matter how easily it is to be aquired.

So I ask you. Is the truth really that simple? Or may there be something that we 'teh internet kids may be forgetting?

Because most people are incredibly dumb, and don't even know it. It's best to assume the average person has the critical thinking skills of a 5 year old, but is under the impression that they are intelligent and knowledgable. It may not be entirely true, but it does make more sense than people making concious choices to be ignorant.

Because most people are incredibly dumb, and don't even know it. It's best to assume the average person has the critical thinking skills of a 5 year old, but is under the impression that they are intelligent and knowledgable. It may not be entirely true, but it does make more sense than people making concious choices to be ignorant.

Pretty much. Also as you know there is tons of terrible and just plain wrong information on the internet. It all depends your source. If you don't know anything about a topic, it can be difficult to tell if the source you found is good or not. That is where having some critical thinking skills comes in handy, as Tosa pointed out.

Pretty much. Also as you know there is tons of terrible and just plain wrong information on the internet. It all depends your source. If you don't know anything about a topic, it can be difficult to tell if the source you found is good or not. That is where having some critical thinking skills comes in handy, as Tosa pointed out.

That's true, although I don't want to cut people to much slack.

I'm fortunate to go to a very excellent gym, it's in a room across the hall from the main gym at a University. It's full of excellent equipment, and many knowledgable and strong lifters; some of the best powerlifters in Canada train there. So you'd think that someone who was interested in getting stronger (and you'd think there'd be a good many on a campus of 35,000) would try and learn a thing or two. But that's actually kind of rare.

Instead what's far more common is for someone to poke their head in the door, look around, and then leave for the main gym. Or come in, and play pretend their a strength athlete, and leave. For a good many of them, the best approach is to talk to them like you would a toddler.

Please refrain from making any more drunk threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back