Teep/ front knee kick debate.

We've been over this time and time again. Learn to avoid it/ counter it. Learn to use it yourself. It's not new. It's just being used well by a few fighters. It's also caused very few injuries.

I got told to stop doing in an inter club Muay Thai fight cause we were 'taking it easy, not trying to hurt anyone'. Then the other guy proceeded to try to knock me out for a couple of rounds while I pulled my punches.

OP, you're conflating different techniques.

A teep is a Muay Thai kick that targets the torso of the target, with the toes pointed up. It is a pushing kick that can inflict damage (e.g. Cowboy vs Jim Miller), but it never targets the legs. Most of the time it's used to control distance

The chasse kick targets the leg right above the knee, with the kicking foot turned sideways. It can permanently damage the knee.

-------------------

As far as Holly goes, she doesn't have anywhere near the power nor reach that Jones has. Jones has a nasty chasse kick and incredible range to boot.

I do Muay Thai to stay in shape, and when sparring I never commit to the chasse hard - it's too easy to hurt my partners. The teep will knock the wind out of you but it's not as dangerous.

what's this thread about? is this guy fighter bashing?

Was it Miguel Angel Torres? If so, he fought an MMA fight a couple months later so it couldn't have been that serious of an injury:

Yep this one. Out of countless kickboxing/mma fights that I've watched this was the only time, so I think it's not a big deal

Just out of curiosity, was it the South African HW K-1 fighter (Mike Bernardo) that you are referring to? That is the worst one that "pops" into my mind.

Nops, it was the one that Paradigm posted.

Just did some search and I think I've found the one you are talking about, but looks like this one was actually caused by standard leg kicks? It's somewhat similar to the Condit injury

The way that Holly does it is not dirty. It's the way that Jon does it that's dirty.

OP, you're conflating different techniques.

A teep is a Muay Thai kick that targets the torso of the target, with the toes pointed up. It is a pushing kick that can inflict damage (e.g. Cowboy vs Jim Miller), but it never targets the legs. Most of the time it's used to control distance

The chasse kick targets the leg right above the knee, with the kicking foot turned sideways. It can permanently damage the knee.

-------------------

As far as Holly goes, she doesn't have anywhere near the power nor reach that Jones has. Jones has a nasty chasse kick and incredible range to boot.

I do Muay Thai to stay in shape, and when sparring I never commit to the chasse hard - it's too easy to hurt my partners. The teep will knock the wind out of you but it's not as dangerous.

I don't know where you got the idea that a teep never targets the legs and only targets the torso but that's not true.

The way that Holly does it is not dirty. It's the way that Jon does it that's dirty.

If it's not illegal, it's not dirty.

A good blow in the throat disables you...In the face, it depends on where it connects
Ah I see, we call that the monkey paw at my gym. Once you learn to throw it effectly is disables your opponent for 2.5
Years. Only the high level Krav Maga students are tought it

I bet if Conor used them regularly, shertards would be calling it genius

662ad8e.gif

I am seeing an extreme double standard here. It seems that a decent percentage of Sherdog are up in arms about this offensive attack on an opponents knees.

It seemed by far at its peak when JBJ was the MMA practitioner attempting to utilize this "still legal" technique the most in the UFC. Now we have seen numerous Team Jackson-Winklejohn MMA practitioners also incorporating this technique into their fight style. It honestly seemed to some extent to calm down after a decent number of fan favorite's have adopted this strategy that Jon is accused of bringing to MMA.

With all of that said, can anyone honestly say that they have seen ANY MMA fighter more aggressively or frequently attempt this technique in a MMA inside the Octagon than Holly did this weekend?

If so, was she not EASILY in the top 3 attempt in UFC history for this technique? If this is the most heinous technique innately evil and universally despised as "dirty", why has NOBODY mentioned this but me?

Honestly, is it that much less heinous to watch a female walk with a limp for life than a male?

Travis Browne makes Jon Jones look like Mr. Clean in the realm of eyepoke. Jon gets blasted for it, and Travis's opponent gets warned to stop attacking the big guys fingers with their eye sockets!

Holly makes Jon look like Mr. Clean in the realm of teep/ knee kicks. Where is the consistency!
Seems like this kick is popular with Jackson fighters. Also, jones and holm are both somewhat similar in build in that they are both lanky/long compared to opponents so it works well for both of them to take advantage of their range.

Ah I see, we call that the monkey paw at my gym. Once you learn to throw it effectly is disables your opponent for 2.5
Years. Only the high level Krav Maga students are tought it

You train Krav Maga? Seems to be a great defense method.

And why 2.5 years specifically?

He used it at least once on Nate
i wasn't really reading every thread that night, but i'm sure everyone was clamoring for him to keep doing it to nullify nate's JJ or takedown threat

100% agreed. It is simple. The debate is where the 90% of Sherdog that DISAGREED on this have disappeared to?

It was "cool" to be on the opposing side of Teep kicks on Sherdog at one time. I can't find a single poster to admit that they were one who had been coerced into this retarded double standard by the "security in numbers" at the time.
I'll admit that I don't like the tactic when used by any fighter. But it's not illegal so I don't complain too much. I personally find it dirty and cowardly. But my older brother got his knee folded in half by a guy that did it to him in a streetfight so it's a little more personal.

I went to jail after catching up with the guy at the bar 2 weeks later. 6 months I gladly spent there.

1) The target is the thigh it isn't a front kick to the knee's 2) It can hyper extend the knee but it shouldn't ruin your knee except in rare circumstances 3) A regular low kick can ruin your knee ala Gaethje vs Foster
4) It's use in practice is allowed at the MT gym I train at I use it all the time and have had it used on me and no injury yet, I had a knee swell up on me from knee's colliding with each other kicking/checking.

Hence I will say get over it it isn't nearly as dangerous as portrayed and only 10% more dangerous than a regular low kick now get to checking it fighters.

Back