Teenage bluebelt trying repeatedly to berimbolo a blackbelt

HE WAS LEGLOCKING BLUEBELTS OH THE HUMANITY

Rafael Mendes will not hesitate to footlock you if you have a sloppy DLR guard / berimbolo. Punishment can be a great teaching tool.
Rafa would toe hold and knee bar a blue belt! Really?
Do you train with him?

What's wrong with a little kneebar? I mean toehold, ok, probably not fair to do that to a Bluebelt, but kneebar? He should be seeing that in no-gi, at least.

if he was actually trying to counter your counters and adapt, i don't see a problem. if he was just being stubborn, he's just a kid and a bluebelt, cut him some slack. i get crushed by my instructor no matter what i try to do. i might as well keep trying to get things right, even though we end up in very similar positions all the time and i get my ass kicked again and again.

as for the leglocking... guys at our gym do leglocks all the time. some more, some less. i always tell noobs to avoid them or at least do them very carefully, but i'm not going to flip my shit if someone attacks my legs. it's a part of the game, there's no reason to neglect it if you're being careful.

I'm going to leg lock the next blue belt I see just to be an evil bastard now.

Muhahahaha.

It is really a shame to see all you so called submission grapplers critique a fucking BJJ blackbelt for lower body submissions. BJJ was a martial art before it was a sport.

TS, guys like you and Eric Paulson are our only hope.

Rafa would toe hold and knee bar a blue belt! Really?
Do you train with him?

I was a purple belt at the time and got leg locked at a seminar. Maybe he just likes dropping atom bombs on people at seminars? I'm a black belt now and you can be darn sure I haven't made that same mistake that got me leg locked since then.

if your only defense vs a lower belt trying to bolo you is a leglock you prob getting in bad spots to begin with anyways.

If you are regularly getting leg locked during your berimbolo you're doing a shitty berimbolo.

and OH RAF MENDES DOES IT!! MUST BE WHAT WE SHOULD ALL DO!! I SHOULD VISIT GYMS AND LEGLOCK ALL THE WHITE AND BLUE BELTS, IM SURE ILL BE A WELCOMED GUEST WORLDWIDE!!

I don't understand your argument. If one of the greatest jiu jitsu players of our time counters one of his own signature moves with a leg attack to show you a hole in your technique, we should not do that to other people seeking to perfect that same technique?

Also a 18 year old blue belt berimbolo attacker here and I get footlocked all the time by my black belt coach. I encourage it. It teaches me more and I'd be annoyed if I felt like he was holding back from subs I was obviously giving him.

On the other hand, if my coach sits down then I'll take top position.

But a really cool little anecdote about Liera Jr. thanks Dan.

at my academy and at every academy in england and brazil that i have trained at you roll to the higher belts rules. lol at the butthurt of a guy dangling his feet and getting footlocked. everyone else by all means continue to not footlock people when they play a shit guard so if i ever have to fight them they will be easy footlock prey haha

I don't see the point in being given top position. I want to EARN it. It sucks to be given top position and feel like everything you do is a mistake and you're about to be reversed any second (which you are).

I get a ''I gave him my precious black belt time, how impolite of him not to respect my ego'' vibe from the post too, which I don't like too much. Did you try to help him avoid the leg locks? To shut some holes in his game? Because that would have been helpful to him, and much more open-minded.

Either way, he's probably a fairly intelligent being, and BJJ is a self-correcting art. Either he'll adapt his technique, or move on to another one.

I don't see the point in being given top position. I want to EARN it. It sucks to be given top position and feel like everything you do is a mistake and you're about to be reversed any second (which you are).

I get a ''I gave him my precious black belt time, how impolite of him not to respect my ego'' vibe from the post too, which I don't like too much. Did you try to help him avoid the leg locks? To shut some holes in his game? Because that would have been helpful to him, and much more open-minded.

Either way, he's probably a fairly intelligent being, and BJJ is a self-correcting art. Either he'll adapt his technique, or move on to another one.

The point in being given top position in the gym is to avoid pointless knee wrestling. That's all, it's not an insult. If you're given top, then try to pass. It's not like people are letting you start in mount (most likely).

I agree with the rest, it does seem like a bit of an ego thing.

Using moves on a guy that he's not allowed to use on you is kind of weak, but I guess he was asking for it. Why didn't you just crush him from the top, flatten him out and pass the gward?

I.

Some people thinks that midget wrestling is useless.

hence, they just play guard.

but yeah, you could turn the offer down and pull guard after he pulled guard.

Each time we'd start he'd pull guard and proceed to attempt to berimbolo me. Each time I ankle-locked, toe-holded, or knee-barred him. Time after time. He didn't once try anything other than this.

Think of it this way: The only way you came up with to stop this blue belt from his berimbolo was using moves that would have DQ'd you in blue belt competition.

When I go against other (always bigger than me) black belts with good guards, I do the same shit. Take them out of their best game and go to positions where there arent many traps and speed can better neutralize technique.

straight ankle lock is legit from white belt.

but honestly, anyone can post some good videos of berimbolo counters?

Am I the only person here who thinks it's perfectly fine to toe hold and kneebar a blue belt? When I go de la riva on my instructor, his go-to counter every time is a rolling calf slicer, and I'm fine with it.

straight ankle lock is legit from white belt.

but honestly, anyone can post some good videos of berimbolo counters?

TrumpetDan posted a money video on berimbolo counters but made it private to this forum. I'll see if I have the link.

EDIT: Found it:

All I ask is that people actually read the thread before they criticize and ask questions that were already answered.

And the point of giving a much lower belt the top is to give them the advantageous position. If they get the top they can work attacks, and the guy on bottom can work sweeps. Most of the time when there are two largely disparate belts, and the higher belt takes the top, they'll just submit the guy and things will be over.

Usually if I am restarting with a guy a bunch of times, ya i'll give them the top most of the time, and sometimes I'll take the top and work from there just to mix it up.

Am I the only person here who thinks it's perfectly fine to toe hold and kneebar a blue belt? When I go de la riva on my instructor, his go-to counter every time is a rolling calf slicer, and I'm fine with it.

No, you're not. People seem to think that IBJJF rules should apply to rolling in the academy, which is terribly stupid and a disservice to everyone involved.

All I ask is that people actually read the thread before they criticize and ask questions that were already answered.

And the point of giving a much lower belt the top is to give them the advantageous position. If they get the top they can work attacks, and the guy on bottom can work sweeps. Most of the time when there are two largely disparate belts, and the higher belt takes the top, they'll just submit the guy and things will be over.

Usually if I am restarting with a guy a bunch of times, ya i'll give them the top most of the time, and sometimes I'll take the top and work from there just to mix it up.

I would assume this is common sense. Better guy almost always sits to guard when starting from the knees.

Back