Social Teen Mauled to Death By Pitbulls

It was stupid. There's no doubt about it. But people don't need to be on a 1997 Karate Forum talking about how he deserved it. As there are in this thread and that's who I was originally quoting, until people came in and started defending that line of thought.

honestly it's really hard for me to feel sorry for the kid.

if he was trying to retrieve an errant baseball at 6PM in the evening then okay.. that sucks... But at 5AM? WTF are you doing trespassing in someone's backyard at 5AM?

if it was a pack of german shepherds would this even be a thread?

Human was inside sleeping, the dog performed according to its training and does not have the brain capacity to distinguish between a potentially innocent 16 year old or a crack head looking to break in and kill you. Would this be a story if the victim was a gang banger on an initiation hit job? I'd wager no.
I am not blaming the dog. I am pinning all the blame on the human. The human trained / kept an animal that is essentially a deadly weapon.

If we're going to put no blame on the owner in this case we might as well make unmanned sentry turrets, spike pits, and landmines legal home defense.

honestly it's really hard for me to feel sorry for the kid.

if he was trying to retrieve an errant baseball at 6PM in the evening then okay.. that sucks... But at 5AM? WTF are you doing trespassing in someone's backyard at 5AM?
I'm guessing you don't have kids. People make mistakes. Kids do dumb shit. Really dumb shit. Maybe he was raised completely wrong. I feel sorry for most anyone who loses a life so young. It's called compassion.

I'm guessing you don't have kids. People make mistakes. Kids do dumb shit. Really dumb shit. Maybe he was raised completely wrong. I feel sorry for most anyone who loses a life so young. It's called compassion.

no but I was a kid once and I certainly didn't trespass in areas I wasn't familiar with. I've trespassed before and at odd hours although 2AM was probably the latest at that age. But it was always in my neighborhood where I knew which houses had dogs.

I have compassion for many (remember I am a bloody leftist just like you). Yes it's a shame the kid died. But the kid shoulda been smarter. I certainly wouldn't support the kid's family in suing the owners. That's how much the kid fucked up. The owners are more or less blameless IMO.

Last edited:
No because a human has a slightly more advanced brain than a dog

Human put the dog there. If I set up an automated gun that shoots at anyone who crosses the property line, is the gun being programmed to do that a valid defense? No. It's the human who put it there.

Owners are responsible for the actions of their animals. I own a mastiff. He could kill someone, so I make damn sure that I am safe with him.

no but I was a kid once and I certainly didn't trespass in areas I wasn't familiar with. I've trespassed before and at odd hours although 2AM was probably the latest at that age. But it was always in my neighborhood where I knew which houses had dogs.

I have compassion for many (remember I am bloody leftist just like you). Yes it's a shame the kid died. But the kid shoulda been smarter. I certainly wouldn't support the kid's family in suing the owners. That's how much the kid fucked up. The owners are more or less blameless IMO.

Blameless? His dogs were so out of control they attacked the police too.

I am not blaming the dog. I am pinning all the blame on the human. The human trained / kept an animal that is essentially a deadly weapon.

That's silly IMO. Dogs are territorial. As long as the dog (depending on the breed of course) is moderately sized it immediately becomes a deadly threat if you enters its domain as a stranger. It's an animal that has been historically trained to guard/defend an area. Why are you blaming the dogs for doing its job (and being a dog)?

Inside the backyard... the cops had to hop over the fence and enter the dogs' domain... wtf dude.. do you know what dogs are about???

Human put the dog there. If I set up an automated gun that shoots at anyone who crosses the property line, is the gun being programmed to do that a valid defense? No. It's the human who put it there.

Owners are responsible for the actions of their animals. I own a mastiff. He could kill someone, so I make damn sure that I am safe with him.
it's not safe to keep your dog in your fenced off yard at 5am? this guys yard doesn't exactly look inviting either unless you're a crackhead looking to steal junk metal
dogs are supposed be able to read POLICE on the officers jackets? c'mon now

Inside the backyard... the cops had to hop over the fence and enter the dogs' domain... wtf dude.. do you know what dogs are about???

Enter the dogs domain. How about the fucking owner controls his dogs. The attack went on so long that a random person noticed, had time to call the cops, the cops to get there, and the owner still hadn't noticed.

Think he noticed when the police started shooting? Should have put one in him too.

Enter the dogs domain. How about the fucking owner controls his dogs. The attack went on so long that a random person noticed, had time to call the cops, the cops to get there, and the owner still hadn't noticed.

Think he noticed when the police started shooting? Should have put one in him too.

Maybe the owner is deaf? Maybe the owner is a hard sleeper and doesn't hear shit. Maybe the owner is too old and frail to care. Maybe the owner was still half asleep and figured whatever was driving the dogs to bark will eventually leave cause he didn't think anyone was stupid enough to enter a fenced up area full of dogs.

you are casting blame on the owner when it's the kid's fault for trespassing at an odd hour... all you're doing is making excuses.

So large dogs should never be allowed to sleep outside in a yard with 6' security fencing?

That's silly IMO. Dogs are territorial. As long as the dog (depending on the breed of course) is moderately sized it immediately becomes a deadly threat if you enters its domain as a stranger. It's an animal that has been historically trained to guard/defend an area. Why are you blaming the dogs for doing its job (and being a dog)?
To reiterate, I am NOT blaming the dog.
I am blaming the human for training an animal to be a serious threat to life and limb. Keeping such an animal is akin to using deadly force in a situation where deadly force is not warranted.

So large dogs should never be allowed to sleep outside in a yard with 6' security fencing?

If you are gonna just ignore it when it attacks someone. Yeah.

Big dogs are dangerous. You keep your dog under control or you dont have one.

I have a large dog, a golden retriever, that weighs around 70ish pounds. There is no physical fence . My dog would absolutely never injure a person like a pitbull can. Dangerous dog breeds like Pitbulls, Rotts, Presa etc.. should be under the same laws and limitation that govern wild animals like bears, big cats, dangerous snakes etc..

If you are gonna just ignore it when it attacks someone. Yeah.

Big dogs are dangerous. You keep your dog under control or you dont have one.

A neighbor in my parents neighborhood stuck their hand over the fence to "try and make friends " with their rotti that was barking at her as she cut through their yard. She was bit and needed stitches and was reported as a bite and animal control came out and found no fault and considered Brock friendly and a non threat. But in your opinion my parents are to blame?

A neighbor in my parents neighborhood stuck their hand over the fence to "try and make friends " with their rotti that was barking at her as she cut through their yard. She was bit and needed stitches and was reported as a bite and animal control came out and found no fault. But in your opinion my parents are to blame?

No. Notice how it didnt maul her to death while she cut through the yard. Dog wasnt out of control.

Back